Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343377 times)

Chivibro

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #390 on: February 07, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »
Hey, i'm new to these forums, just here to ask a question. There's a steam sale going on for KOF 13 at the moment, and I'm not sure if I should buy it. Should I just wait for the new game, or should I get 13 if it's on sale?

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 07, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »
It is a sale with a great discount, so buy it if you like what you see. Online is a little shabby and game is combo/cancel-centric but it is worth the current price if you are into 2D fighters. It is a very different game from XIV outside of combo links for specific characters, but knowledge will carry over well. King of Fighters XIV may be delayed until next year and sales like these are hard to come by.

*I am not interested in XIII after seeing what it had to offer in the PS3 demo regardless of price, but that should not stop you from trying it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:45:53 AM by TrueOrochi »

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 07, 2016, 10:05:48 PM »
Hey, i'm new to these forums, just here to ask a question. There's a steam sale going on for KOF 13 at the moment, and I'm not sure if I should buy it. Should I just wait for the new game, or should I get 13 if it's on sale?
If memory serves, all three steam games are on sale right now 13 being $4.99, the um games $2.99 per, or $6.99 for all three. All of these are great deals in my opinion. We only know that 14 is supposed to come out some time this year, but who knows how long you'd be waiting for should you decide to wait. I say get some practice in with some of the older games, and learn some of the common mechanics like jumps, rolls, comboing into throws, etc.

P.S. Welcome to DreamCancel.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2016, 02:05:47 AM »

Absolutely worth it.

XIII is the best game in the series imo and one of the most beautiful 2D games to date.

(It's by no.1 fighter of all time.)

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2016, 02:37:27 AM »
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to say it is the most beautiful 2D fighter is one hell of a hyperbole. I personally despise Nona's (and Falcoon's) art style. The proportions are off, colors are dark and supersaturated, and worst of all the face expressions are all obnoxious looking.

If they had Hiroaki do it, then it would have been something to write home about. Hiroaki is the only artist that can hold a candle to Shinkiro as far as I am concerned. It is a shame he was not the one in charge of art direction.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:42:25 AM by TrueOrochi »

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 08, 2016, 03:03:30 AM »
Well, the art direction is one thing and graphics are another. Imo kof 13 is superior in both regards when compared to other modern games that actually are in 2d. If you turn to old ones you can find better art direction but the graphics will suffer. It's probably mostly about what you like watching. I think it's fair to claim that kof 13 is the most beautiful fighting game out there, i can also understand that some people will prefer for example darkstalkers.

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 08, 2016, 06:36:26 AM »
The only thing XIII has on other King of Fighters games is resolution. When I think KoF is beautiful these games come to mind:

Not an abomination like:

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 08, 2016, 07:24:57 AM »
^We'll definitely agree to disagree on your concept of abomination. All those screenshots look good to me, each for their own touches and styles.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 08, 2016, 07:47:05 AM »
I think he means the background in particular

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 08, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
I think he means the background in particular

If he does, my opinion still stands. Like he said, eye of the beholder.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 08, 2016, 08:32:16 AM »
I agree that KOF XIII might be the best looking 2D-fighter ever, but the style has bothered me since I first saw the new sprites in XII (I'd even argue that XII looks better than XIII).

Some characters look absolutely fantastic. In general, slim characters look argauably better in XIII than in the past, but more muscular characters look weird. Ralf and Clark are probably the worst examples of buffing up, Terry looks weird (and doesn't feel like Terry), Andy also took some steroids and whatever happened to Takuma. I also have to point out characters like Joe and Hwa Jai, who look like anorectic muscular people. Also their six packs look weird, same with Shen.

How about those slim characters? Kula looks better, Ash is fantastic (and elegant), K' looks more cocky (at the cost of personality, when looking at pre-battle dialogues...), Elisabeth looks better than in XI (but she plays better in XI) and Leona is better than ever (good that they changed the outfit, that old one was hideous).

Apparently art direction was handled by Nona. He is bit of hit and miss. Sometimes he draws something that I comes to mind first when I think some character (Wild Iori in SVC Chaos) and ending artwork in XI can be weird, but it's actually good (Ralf and Clark actually look old  :)).

I'm one hell of a XI fanboy. I like the character artwork (in my mind best in the series) and in-game artwork is good (they look like characters are having fun). Backgrounds might lifeless at first, but they're actually good looking.

The Fluke mentioned Darkstalkers. I actually started thinking one thing. I think SVC Chaos Demitri looks much better than the Darkstalkers Demitri. I wondred if Darkstalkers was handled by SNK back in the day and in-game style would've been KOF-styled, it probably would've looked damn fantastic.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »
From my point of view, XIII (and XII) had a great art direction. I loved those backgrounds, and characters stylization. At least it had a real artistic feeling and its own visual style. Older KOF had their own style too, but they look like more generic, less strong in therms of art direction. KOF XIV suffers from the same problem. But at least characters look fresh. I love Benimaru's redesign, and I like Andy's as well.

By the way, the game will be playable at Hong Kong on 02/19. I wonder if it will be same version of Taipei and if we will have a new trailer.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 08, 2016, 04:05:58 PM »
I agree that KOF XIII might be the best looking 2D-fighter ever, but the style has bothered me since I first saw the new sprites in XII (I'd even argue that XII looks better than XIII).

How about those slim characters? Kula looks better, Ash is fantastic (and elegant), K' looks more cocky (at the cost of personality, when looking at pre-battle dialogues...), Elisabeth looks better than in XI (but she plays better in XI) and Leona is better than ever (good that they changed the outfit, that old one was hideous).

Apparently art direction was handled by Nona. He is bit of hit and miss. Sometimes he draws something that I comes to mind first when I think some character (Wild Iori in SVC Chaos) and ending artwork in XI can be weird, but it's actually good (Ralf and Clark actually look old  :)).

I'm one hell of a XI fanboy. I like the character artwork (in my mind best in the series) and in-game artwork is good (they look like characters are having fun). Backgrounds might lifeless at first, but they're actually good looking.

The Fluke mentioned Darkstalkers. I actually started thinking one thing. I think SVC Chaos Demitri looks much better than the Darkstalkers Demitri. I wondred if Darkstalkers was handled by SNK back in the day and in-game style would've been KOF-styled, it probably would've looked damn fantastic.
Best looking HD 2D fighter I have seen is without a doubt Guilty Gear XX, but its animation is choppy. Best animated is Samurai Shodown 3 with Art of Fighting 3 close behind. I am not a fan of two-toned outlined Capcom sprite art.

Leona was altered due to Maximum Impact success. Kula looks like a Bratz doll and Ash looks like a trendy Barbie doll minus the figure. I agree that K' looks like himself.

I have despised Nona since his work on King of Fighters 2001. His works on SVC Chaos is also quite abominable.

Hiroaki did the cover art and individual full sized portraits for XI. Nona only did the cutscenes and endings. I think Falcoon did the character select portraits.

Eisuke Ogura did the portraits for XII and XIII (Neo Geo Coliseum), but Nona was the art director.

*Looking forward to more news on KoF XIV next week.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:27:00 PM by TrueOrochi »

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 08, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
As for Kof XIV, we now know that E. Ogura is doing the art as well.