Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343438 times)

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #420 on: February 12, 2016, 04:25:02 AM »
Also, it may be all the same to you, but it is a Playmore and not a SNK title...

To get this over with quick since this is a flame war waiting to happen. SNK and Playmore are the same company. They were founded by the same person and that same person sued for his licenses and name and won. If he so chose he could have renamed the company plain SNK, but he chose SNK/Playmore. You might not like where the company went after '01 but it's still the same company.

Now if you say introduction to Playmore you mean titles 2001 and up. I chose to think that ment all titles SNK has produced. therefore you call it SNK.

Sorry for the side track.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 12, 2016, 04:26:37 AM »
SVC Chaos has a great intro, but the rest of the game is broken and choppy.
https://youtu.be/BbTsPMbAIDc

Also, it may be all the same to you, but it is a Playmore and not a SNK title...

Still, King of Fighters XIV could use some of this guy if they manage to not make him broken again:

If they will implement Mr. Karate i actually hope it will be this guy

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 12, 2016, 04:28:39 AM »
^ Seconded

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 12, 2016, 07:09:18 AM »
'01 and '02 are Eolith games, and anyone who has played the original SNK games will easily notice the drop in design quality after the bankruptcy of the original company. Only reason I am giving XIV a chance is because of several notable old SNK development members having a key role.

Mr. Karate II would be acceptable if he wears the Tengu mask!

*He still has nothing on the original in his prime.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:16:07 AM by TrueOrochi »

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 12, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
@TrueOrochi: Naturally, and i actually think (lynchpin commencing) Maximum Impact did a good representation of what he should be like in terms of prowess compared to other characters (and the OG mr karate, Takuma)

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 12, 2016, 08:03:16 AM »
@GoodLooser
Heh, that intro. I remember that my jaw dropped when I saw it for the first time. Serious Mr. Karate so much more badass than Shin Akuma, atlhough in the intro they seem to be "regular" versions.

My first KOF was 2002. I kinda liked it, but at the same I was underwhelmed. I can understand why people like vanilla 98, but vanilla 2002... Next one was 98UM and that was more fun, but something was missing. Finally I bought XI and thanks to it, I found Dream Cancel :) For me, XI is the best KOF and my favorite fighting game.

Anyways, Mr. Karate II could be possible in my mind, because "moustache Robert" looks similar to "old Robert" in NGBC. I hope this would happen :)
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 12, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »
'01 and '02 are Eolith games, and anyone who has played the original SNK games will easily notice the drop in design quality after the bankruptcy of the original company.
Ummmm... no. Eolith merely published it. It was made by Breezasoft which was a splintered faction of original SNK that was actually absorbed back into SNK/Playmore shortly after.

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 12, 2016, 07:59:42 PM »
You are right about Brezzasoft being the developers, but regardless of the specifics, the games were developed by a splinter cell formed by some previous members of SNK after all their best talent went to work for other companies.

King of Fighters XI has a nice enough presentation and roster, but the gameplay design and balancing is very off. Some teams make KoF '97 (arcade) look balanced. It is still fun enough to play casually every so often.

The only thing comissioned by SNK Playmore that has blown me away is King of Fighters '98 Final Edition. Haven't had that much enjoyment of a KoF title since "96 came out. Neowave was also pretty well designed if played under the right conditions. These games are not exactly mainline installments though and had a large base to build on.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 14, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »
I think everyone agrees that there was a drop in quality when everything went down in SNK. It's understandable since the head of the gaming division left, and took a lot of the best talent and made dimps.

Now that XIV is being made by someone who used to be with Dimps, and he found a bunch of former SNK employees to make this game it's got me wondering. Is this game being secretly being made by Dimps, but they can't say anything since they are making the rivals game (SFV) at the same time, or is there something going on at Dimps making employees leave like a lack of new titles, groups getting fed up making Street Fighter games, or something else entirely different?

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 14, 2016, 07:09:14 PM »
I do not know, but the art direction is a far cry from their usual anime fare.

Also, the moment I saw that C+D wallsplats, I could not help but think of Rumble Fish.
https://youtu.be/3bO5NJqTPFc

Maybe the individuals that worked on that game wanted to work on a franchise with greater recognition.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 14, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »
Also, the moment I saw that C+D wallsplats, I could not help but think of Rumble Fish.
https://youtu.be/3bO5NJqTPFc
Mmmm... Those sprites are damn well animated. I thought those were some sort of fishing games, when I was looking at the list of Atomiswave games XD

Probably SNK has some former Dimps employees. To my knowledge, especially coders tend to switch company they work for quite often.

lfrd

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 15, 2016, 03:45:51 AM »
Here's a hypothetical to spark up some conversation: Do you guys think that advanced cancels can be done from rush supers? Do you think it should be possible or not? I believe I know the general consensus, but I'm interested to see how/if this discussion pans out.

I'll play what I believe is devil's advocate and state it should be possible, you'd still need to meet the meter requirements and damage potential for 3 meters should be high, your opponent should always be more careful when you have lot's of meter. Rush to DM to advanced canceled SDM is just another potential way to impose damage onto a careless opponent.

Also I hope this sparks discussion not just flames.
I guess it's possible if you manually enter the advanced cancel move after the DM.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 15, 2016, 03:46:21 PM »
Mmmm... Those sprites are damn well animated. I thought those were some sort of fishing games, when I was looking at the list of Atomiswave games XD

While the animation is good, it is too fluid wich makes it look like flash animation and rather weigthless. Imo, animations in fighting games should preferably be slow at the start, fast in the middle and then slow again at the impact.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 15, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »

While the animation is good, it is too fluid wich makes it look like flash animation and rather weigthless. Imo, animations in fighting games should preferably be slow at the start, fast in the middle and then slow again at the impact.
Good point. I remember some SNK website where they showcased their new sprites and Ryo was an example. His far strong puch actually had few frames of animation and it still ooked good. So I guess too much frames can be a "bad" thing sometimies :)

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 16, 2016, 05:32:36 AM »
Hong Kong expo will have Billy Robert and King supposedly playable, NICE!