Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343399 times)

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #495 on: February 20, 2016, 07:38:45 AM »
I find the EX moves + Max Mode implementation pretty interesting actually.

A pretty smart compromise between having EX moves and yet at the same time preserving the EX move-less style of KOFs before XIII.

I actually like the idea, I just believe it will take getting used to. EX moves in various games have been too powerful at times that most supers are no longer used in lieu of saving meter for EX. By forcing you to activate max mode you can't just use EX moves suddenly for extra invul and opportunities at the cost of meter, your intent to use EX moves is clear as that seems to be the only benefit to Max mode. On a side note how will Angel's move set be adjusted for EX moves, unchain starters getting EX? Only finishers? Anyone care to speculate?

@KLSADAKO
The players are unfamiliar with the systems as of yet, they'll learn new combos eventually. I haven't even seen a Quickmax combo since PSX, and even the ones there I feel are just scratching the surface of the combo potential in this game. With Quickmax, super cancels, advanced cancels, and new CD and Max mode properties I can see loads of interesting potential combos here, we've just haven't had enough time to play around in the new system. Not to mention that anyone struggling with all the more technical systems can still just rush.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 20, 2016, 09:34:59 AM »
Diavle Yep it is interesting especially because we have no clue what maxmode can really do, please don't mess maxmode up. I'm hoping Max mode is used for more than just combo's. Some characters could be more combo friendly than others, some may have better pressure with their ex moves, so for getting in close to them or locking someone down, using the infinite ex,s would help, only hindered by the time of the maxmode.

Ottomatic: Angel would benefit from maxmode pressure. How they could implement her ex's into pressure and combo's by giving her faster start up or invincible frames on some moves to move her forwards more effectively.

Also not all characters can benefit from C+D wall splat combo's from a distance. Some characters would need at least combo's that work into this, maybe even from or during Max mode.

I hope snkplaymore give us a complete run down on the game system like they did in kof XIII. That really was amazing at hyping the game. And the combos were crazy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:41:11 AM by shinefist »

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 20, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »
@Shinefist
Well if XIII Leona is anything to go by, Max mode gives her two different projectile walls to hide behind in Baltic launcher and Excalibur, she can toss grenades faster, or close the distance and pressure with Grand saber, and she'd still get better Moon slashers for anti-airs. I recall reports saying Iori's EX fireball doesn't go anywhere so his Max mode just seems to improve his close game (maybe his EX overhead gets invul or seeks and that could improve his approach game as well). And Andy gets his slow projectile, a Far moving anti air and I'm assuming his EX elbows are at least mostly safe.

I feel given the current information about the game systems, no one playstyle will invaildate the others. Damage output seems alright, there's a good amount of ground game with better hitboxes for normal anti-airs. Max mode appears to give different characters different tool sets so far. I mentioned combos in my last post cause someone felt they are difficult to pull off, I feel that given time with the system we will see much more impressive stuff, and that it will come in all ranges of difficulty (something for the casuals and something for the combo makers, and more stuff in between) and more importantly that they aren't the be all end all of the gameplay.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 20, 2016, 12:33:48 PM »
@ottomatic: +1 lol

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 20, 2016, 03:18:25 PM »
What is this, speculation battle lol... oh I get you now ottomatic, wow Leona sounds beast in xiv then. I never used Leona in XIII, but I played against one in particular and it was very difficult getting in on her. Is that what your referring to Leona being hella strong in XIV's Max mode as her defence is OP with infinite ex's to shield her and lock opponent down with air qcb+A+C. Because I would agree she sounds really good this year.

Have you guys noticed xiv Leona b~f +D leaves the opponent in a juggle state! there is a video of someone doing run up crouch B after it.

This would mean maybe in the corner you could get b~f+D, v slasher or b~f+D, stand D pressure maybe.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:25:50 PM by shinefist »

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 20, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
Well ... I'm not gonna say Leona is OP in Max mode ... yet. I will say it seems like an uphill battle getting in on her after activation. I wasn't trying to speculate battle, I just saw worries regarding the use of Max mode and tried to ease those fears. Sorry if I misunderstood lol.

I hope we get more footage outta this show, hopefully with some of the newer characters EXs and Climaxs or, as I always hope for, system experimentation. I realize Penpen wasn't particularly interested in day 2 or 3, but maybe someone else will pickup the torch.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 20, 2016, 10:09:41 PM »
It's no problem ottomatic, I think you raised a good point with Leona that I never really thought about. Hey we should practise for XIV by using infinite stocks in XIII to do unlimited ex moves lol

I don't think we've seen any new vids today :(

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 20, 2016, 10:52:01 PM »
There is that curch stage. It reminded me of something, but I couldn't think what. Then I remembered.
https://i2.wp.com/shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/kofxiv-stage-church.jpg
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/snk/images/5/52/Svcnudeplacebg.gif/revision/latest?cb=20100720102346
I still wonder why that SVC Chaos stage is called Nude Place...

And by the way, we have smart TV in the house, so I decided to watch trailer on that. Let's just say my computer monitor doesn't do justice to graphics, because game looked damn amazing!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:26:47 PM by Custle »
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 21, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »
Not sure if you guys have seen this

http://imgur.com/cXaPQOx

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 21, 2016, 09:00:50 PM »
I've said before I hope leak list isn't fully true, and I'm sticking to that. Good find though, interesting stuff, if this is true with a dimensional traveler, we can get some guest characters in future games if other companies want to opt in, maybe we can get Guile VS Rugal in a SNK game (I'm reaching for positives as I don't like this idea story wise).

I can support new stance character though, maybe she can be the first KOF stance character to hold back to block in stance lol.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:13:02 PM by ottomatic »

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 21, 2016, 09:45:32 PM »
Custle: Yeah when I watch XIV videos you get a better representation in 720p - 1080p. The graphics in 1080p resolution looks fantastic. Robert and king come to mind as they look very tall and slick in motion.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 22, 2016, 03:06:19 AM »
I think that putting characters from other SNK franchises is the natural progression for KOF. It did initially start as a dream match; why stop at FF/Garou and AOF? Besides, Neo Geo Battle Coliseum seemed to have dipped its feet in that idea.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 22, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »
I think that putting characters from other SNK franchises is the natural progression for KOF. It did initially start as a dream match; why stop at FF/Garou and AOF? Besides, Neo Geo Battle Coliseum seemed to have dipped its feet in that idea.
The more I think about logic flaws the more I realize I'm going to try arguing about believable fiction in a world where characters have already jumped forward through time, 1 man had been cloned numerous times (and I don't recall anything about where they got their samples), a gigantic space laser powered by fights destroys a town, a single man entered a team tournament with ghosts as his teammates, and all of these events I've already mentioned take place after the sealing of a Demigod (plus many more ridiculous event's that took place). If people can suspend enough disbelief for all this why not, let them run wilder, just make the relationships between the characters interesting ... and balance the game properly.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 22, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »
Custle: Yeah when I watch XIV videos you get a better representation in 720p - 1080p. The graphics in 1080p resolution looks fantastic. Robert and king come to mind as they look very tall and slick in motion.
I remember when I played those NeoGeo collections on PlayStation 2 using television, I was so amazed how awesome those games looked. Nowdays I play on PC and play those same games, they don't have the same "WOW!" factor. I mean I have 1080p monitor, but the trailer looked so amazing on bigger screen and it isn't even Full HD television.

I liked where KOF XI going with crossovering. I mean Savage Reing characters were bit out of place, but Buriki One characters were nice addition.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 22, 2016, 11:45:49 PM »
you guys see the SNK Entertainment website yet?

http://www.snk-entertainment.com/index.html

It looks like Geese during the Video Development slide with a KOF XIV pic behind it, but I can't say confirmed due to the (likely) pachinko pic behind XIV what with the 777 on it. Anyone know what this site is about?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:55:20 AM by ottomatic »