Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343362 times)

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #555 on: February 28, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »
How is mark of the wolves "very loosely connected to Fatal Fury"? It is literally the fourth game in the series and i did write "(slight sidenote)" didn't i? Fatal fury is obviously not the same series of games as kof even though the first game is called fatal fury: king of fighters.

You seem awfully negative/defensive.

Anyways, yeah, those songs are the ones i know of aswell so good job both of you.

Fourth? 1, 2, Special, 3, Real Bout, Real Bout Special, Real Bout 2, (Dominated Mind), Wild Ambition...

Mark of the Wolves shares nothing with Fatal Fury outside of Terry Bogard (he is downgraded) and Kim's sons (they are redundant). The gameplay design barely even scratches Fatal Fury's system despite adopting 3's button configuration and changes movement entirely. It is the SNK equivalent of Street Fighter III, which basically used a known name with iconic characters to sell a fundamentally different product.

I have always thought of Fatal Fury as having 3 reboots: Real Bout, Wild Ambition, and King of Fighters. I do not see how Mark of the Wolves is related outside of the introductory homage to Fatal Fury, Kim's sons, and Terry. Did Rock Howard even exist prior to Mark of the Wolves?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:07:08 AM by TrueOrochi »

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 28, 2016, 06:23:04 AM »
Not the ones before SNK declared bankrupcy...

Better then '94,'95,'97, and '98 was a copy of past soundtracks.

KoF '98 is a dream match, so it makes sense that it features a "best of" soundtrack. KoF '94 through '97 tracks have significant changes and have far more kick to them than the bland KoF XIII drag and drop remix. Also, it is possible to tell which segment one of those tracks is at, unlike the loops originating in XIII.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:42:56 AM by TrueOrochi »

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 28, 2016, 08:06:09 AM »
Fourth? 1, 2, Special, 3, Real Bout, Real Bout Special, Real Bout 2, (Dominated Mind), Wild Ambition...

Mark of the Wolves shares nothing with Fatal Fury outside of Terry Bogard (he is downgraded) and Kim's sons (they are redundant). The gameplay design barely even scratches Fatal Fury's system despite adopting 3's button configuration and changes movement entirely. It is the SNK equivalent of Street Fighter III, which basically used a known name with iconic characters to sell a fundamentally different product.

I have always thought of Fatal Fury as having 3 reboots: Real Bout, Wild Ambition, and King of Fighters. I do not see how Mark of the Wolves is related outside of the introductory homage to Fatal Fury, Kim's sons, and Terry. Did Rock Howard even exist prior to Mark of the Wolves?
The difference between motw and real bout is that motw actually builds on the story of the original three games while real bout changes backstories and events.

Your opinions on characters or mechanics aren't actually relevant to whether or not any game is a valid sequel. Most new street fighter games are fundamentally different from atleast some of their predecessors, it's not exclusive to sf3. So what if motw doesn't play just like the game before it? And does it actually matter what little kid rock howard was doing during fatal fury 3? Things may change for better or worse, but just like with the star wars prequels you'll just have to live with them.

King of fighters is a crossover game that includes characters and backstories from various games more or less modified to fit the new universe.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 28, 2016, 09:07:35 AM »
Not the ones before SNK declared bankrupcy...

Better then '94,'95,'97, and '98 was a copy of past soundtracks.

KoF '98 is a dream match, so it makes sense that it features a "best of" soundtrack. KoF '94 through '97 tracks have significant changes and have far more kick to them than the bland KoF XIII drag and drop remix. Also, it is possible to tell which segment one of those tracks is at, unlike the loops originating in XIII.

'94 had decent tracks (Esaka, Ne!) but it has some serious turds (Ikari, Fatal Fury). '95 was forgettable. Seriously can't think of one track that deserved to be on '98. '97 had good tracks, but the background noise for the majority of characters is unacceptable. XIII didn't have an amazing track but each one was solid.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 28, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »
Going through parts of the old soundtracks it seems that 96 ost is the most consistently good of the 94-97 games and the ast brings some stuff like seoul road to life. I think that that's probably the best kof in terms of soundtrack.

I'm happy with the kof13 soundtrack btw, because it does sound like kof music. It's not like the awful music in third strike for example.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 28, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »
And here I thought 3S had one of the better few songs of the SF franchise xD (movie excluded)

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 28, 2016, 04:31:10 PM »
And here I thought 3S had one of the better few songs of the SF franchise xD (movie excluded)

To each their own. For me sf2 has the best esthetics of the street fighter series and they even made that worse with super turbo. I think sf5 is doing a pretty good job though, visually i like it and the music is good for what i've come to expect of capcom fighting games.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 28, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »
"for what i've come to expect of capcom fighting games."

that sounds so downgrading lmao

Jokes aside, are there really any songs you can name by heart from a SF game? (Besides Guile's theme xD)

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 28, 2016, 05:09:34 PM »
that sounds so downgrading lmao

Jokes aside, are there really any songs you can name by heart from a SF game? (Besides Guile's theme xD)

I probably won a couple of douche points there, didn't i? Well, i can't even name guiles theme as i don't know what it's called, but most if not all of the music in sf2 is cool imo. Only problem is that all songs vary between system and version and for me the snes version is the one that generally hits home.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 28, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »
yea i get where you're coming from. The "Guile's theme" is just commonly used as a trope lately i dont even think it has a name. Its just that compared to other fighting games SF always had lackluster music IMO.

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 28, 2016, 11:44:31 PM »
The difference between motw and real bout is that motw actually builds on the story of the original three games while real bout changes backstories and events.

Your opinions on characters or mechanics aren't actually relevant to whether or not any game is a valid sequel. Most new street fighter games are fundamentally different from atleast some of their predecessors, it's not exclusive to sf3. So what if motw doesn't play just like the game before it? And does it actually matter what little kid rock howard was doing during fatal fury 3? Things may change for better or worse, but just like with the star wars prequels you'll just have to live with them.

King of fighters is a crossover game that includes characters and backstories from various games more or less modified to fit the new universe.

It built on what was not there, it was like a house built on sand. If a game carries over practically nothing from its predecessor then what different is it than an adopted child. Street Fighter's changes from 2 to now (excluding 3) are like a snowball rolling down a snowy hill, it grows and accumulates more and more litter. Street Fighter III wad nothing in common with Street Fighter 2 in design and direction, for that reason it stands apart.

If you were to define King of Fighters that way, then Fatal Fury Special was the first as it included Ryo Sakazaki. However, it would be moronic to say that the design of King of Fighters games has anything in common with it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:52:20 PM by TrueOrochi »

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 28, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
'94 had decent tracks (Esaka, Ne!) but it has some serious turds (Ikari, Fatal Fury). '95 was forgettable. Seriously can't think of one track that deserved to be on '98. '97 had good tracks, but the background noise for the majority of characters is unacceptable. XIII didn't have an amazing track but each one was solid.
I disagree and find the variations in that work to be far more skillful and varied than the overproduced thematic filler of XIII. KoF XIII's original tracks have no substance.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:49:12 PM by TrueOrochi »

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 29, 2016, 02:00:26 AM »

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 29, 2016, 02:47:21 AM »
If you were to define King of Fighters that way, then Fatal Fury Special was the first as it included Ryo Sakazaki. However, it would be moronic to say that the design of King of Fighters games has anything in common with it.

Now now, fatal fury special has one guest character, it is not a defining trait of the game. Kof has had most of the cast of fatal fury, art of fighting, psycho soldiers and ikari warriors aswell as characters unique to its own storyline. They are also not part of the same canon.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 29, 2016, 01:36:02 PM »
New potential Leak

https://twitter.com/oWarlock360o/status/704091206041608192

Part of me wishes that Tung's teammate's would be Jin Chonrei and Jin Chonshu, but apparently not.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?