Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343364 times)

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #645 on: March 15, 2016, 09:32:37 PM »
Smash is not a fighter in design relative to the fighting genre and not balanced in the least. It is not something to aspire to.

The presence of an element can take just as much away from the thematic unity and design as a lack of something. A good visual design is an indication of quality and time spent, just as a bad visual design is an indication of a lack of quality and lack of time spent.

Archetypes should be logical, a fighter that uses wing chun would never try to fight a sniper in an open field. If you ever boxed you would know that the farther out you punch, the less force you can generate. The faster you pull your punch, the less knockback power your punch has. Profeciency and technique with melee weapons, street fighting, and full contact martial arts all depend on body type. The tiny person, giant weapon archetype is likely equally as idiotic as the majority of the new designs.

Combinations that I can already use in older games do not interest me. I could just continue playing those games in the future. Those that I play regularly certainly have a greater variety of viable combinations than this game. With no new viable combinations or anything to gain by playing KoF XIV, what point would there be in investing in it?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 15, 2016, 09:40:40 PM »
Hard to say, at least SNK hasn't tried to cover up any of the leaks.

Not hard at all, no company would want a leak like this to happen. Their goal is to trickle info bit by bit till release to generate hype.

SNK can't cover it up since the leak is spot on. All they can do is continue to release trailers, there's no point in them mentioning the leak.

Either way, it seems that at least one of the leakers worked on the game but is no longer employed at SNK.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 15, 2016, 09:51:33 PM »
Go figure you'd take away the wrong thing from Smash being mentioned.

The point I'm trying to make here is that the concept of "slots" is absurd to begin with and "wasted slots" even more so. There is no predetermined number of characters to put into a game; the number it ends up with is just that: what it ended up with. Characters being a waste because you don't like them is even more absurd. So that's what I'm going for. I don't know why you even brought up balance when you know that's not even what we're talking about.

And there's still the fact that you are making a shallow judgment based on looks. This trend of passing judgment prematurely without having delved into the gameplay is really getting annoying. Designs aren't fully indicative of gameplay, and if you're so hung up on that, I wouldn't put it past you to disregard good gameplay for designs you don't like, and that's just plain stupid.

I've been really patient with you, watching you shit on the game with every bit of news we get. There's only so much people can take of that before it starts to get irritating. Criticism is a good and necessary thing, but what you're doing hardly qualifies as that. It's more "I don't like it; make it like how I want it." That kind of attitude just spreads unhappiness all around.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 15, 2016, 11:30:37 PM »
@marchefelix
Thank you, I was going to reply to him earlier, but I decided my time was better spent checking on my laundry and talking to a telemarketer.

I hope we get some neat but obscure SNK references somewhere in this game, like have some flying matryoshka in the background of a stage, or how about Robert Landolt chillin' in the background with a golf club.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 16, 2016, 12:37:35 AM »
Where I stand with this visual leak is on the side of optimism. I already know of some teams I'm going to try from already-released trailers, but I'm very interested to see what the upcoming characters will do, particularly the South American and Kim team.

I'm half and half on the whether the leak was a good thing or not. It's more attention given to it, though it's reconfirming the first leak. I'm mostly glad the package is shaping up to be nice. What I'd really like to see is more system displays/explanations, preferably confirmed by SNK themselves.

And on the subject of tastes and what TrueOrochi's been saying, for those that feel that way, I don't think we should start to pile on him for having his opinion, but even though you've coined yourself a purist, I still hope you (TrueOrochi) give this game a shot, for what it has and hasn't showed you yet. You might favor certain characters and designs (which might be customizable with costumes, my own speculation), but gameplay makes a difference too imo. I've personally loved how most mainstay characters get their movelists changed up in every new KOF; I think the combination you're used to or want could be fulfilled through new characters or revamped playstyles.

There are lots of people who seem to fixate on one character. "Where's Vanessa?" (Agreed) "Where's Yamazaki?" (I like the character, but maybe one day someone will explain to me why he's so loved and needs to be around so often) And the infamous "No Mai, no buy." But a lot of these players still give whatever game is in question a shot to see how it stands on it's own, or I hope. That's my hope for anyone who has interest in XIV as a fighter, new KOF, new SNK game, whatever.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:13:56 AM by solidshark »
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 16, 2016, 12:50:51 AM »
Piling on him for his opinion? Hardly.

This is the basic protocol for opinions: you are entitled to give it, I am entitled to do what I wish with it. That's all that's going on.

I am trying not to form definitive opinions until I have a sufficient amount of information. That's the only logical thing to do, really.

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 16, 2016, 01:12:44 AM »
wasted:used or expended carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose.

KoF XIV had a predetermined roster as does every other well planned fighter. There are a number of characters that add no value to KoF XIV and are therefore a waste by definition.

Any time you bring up a product with major holes in its design as the source of your theories, those are the ones that get hit.

Anyone in a fighting game that does not fight does not belong. It is not taste, it is principle.

Children do not know how to fight. It is not taste, it is principle.

There is room for a variety of designs, but structure defines function. It is not taste, it is principle.

I look forward to them proving the value of the newcomers, but the track record for newcomers to fighting franchises within the last two generations is awful.

I do not accept or support anything that comes out unless it has a quality that cannot be substituted with something already established. If you wish to waste your time and money on an item that has no inherent value, by all means do so. I will be no worse off.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:53:07 AM by solidshark »

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 16, 2016, 02:41:08 AM »
Piling on him for his opinion? Hardly.

I edited my first statement, as I meant I didn't want a piling to start, for this thread to become one poster versus the rest.

TrueOrochi, even putting aside how much I disagree with your last post,

I do not accept or support anything that comes out unless it has a quality that cannot be substituted with something already established. If you wish to waste your time and money on an item that has no inherent value, by all means do so. I will be no worse off.

Since you've made your position clearly known here on XIV, maybe it's time you stepped away from discussing this game since it has little to no value for you.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:53:25 AM by solidshark »
-Terry Bogard, 1995

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 16, 2016, 02:50:04 AM »
Let them pile on, I am willing to beat them to death using every little opening they give me.

I have restrained myself on multiple occasions, this will not be one of them.

Things that are not set in stone have yet to have their value appraised.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 16, 2016, 03:14:54 AM »
Let them pile on, I am willing to beat them to death using every little opening they give me.

I have restrained myself on multiple occasions, this will not be one of them.

I disagree.

And for those still interested in the game, let's discuss it, shall we?
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 16, 2016, 05:14:28 AM »
I'm excited. I plan to host sessions for this game with two copies at my local scene's store and at my buddy's home. He's a big ninja fan, so I hope the Brazilian Ninja interest him to play along with Andy. If there's no interest, I can always do the SNK grind at Xanadu Games when I have free time. This time, I can make videos with my AVerMedia Live Gamer Portables.

Mui Mui interests me a lot since I love playing SNK Chinese females.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:24:02 AM by Amedø310 »

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 16, 2016, 06:01:17 AM »
I hope the hosting goes well, and the Brazilian ninja turns out appealing to him and most players, including me since I like ninjas too.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 16, 2016, 07:44:09 AM »
for those still interested in the game, let's discuss it, shall we?

I'm down.

Regarding Nakoruru, do you guys think her move set will include her traditional inverted QCB motions for the straight mutsube and QCF for diagonal, or will her move set play more like her NGBC incarnation which gave the straight a QCF motion and made the diagonal a dp motion instead? And do you think she'll play as a hybrid Slash/Bust version with both Mamahaha (Hawk) and Shikuru (Wolf) or (more likely) just her and Mamahaha, or maybe (far less likely) just her and Shikuru? Lastly will she have her healing, if she does will it be her Climax?

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 16, 2016, 07:49:53 AM »
It'd be nice to see a hybrid Slash/Bust version, but I'm really expecting her to be very basic and traditional, with Mamahaha.

OT, but I wonder if her in KOF will be a small test for SamSho in-general. One can dream.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 16, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »
I really hope Nakoruru doesn't play like in NGBC. At the very least I don't want to see the ridiculous and unfitting inputs for her supers.