Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343480 times)

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #1980 on: July 15, 2016, 06:56:33 AM »
A German that doesn't like booze? LOL

Hmm, I've been in Germany once and I don't want to stereotype, but everyone drank. I don't use alcohol at all and stereotype about Finnish people is that we drink way too much.

@MetalThrashingMadman

I understand where you are coming from, but I guess this is sort of a reboot of the series with fresh faces. 50 characters and someone is still missing, yeah... I personally would make few changes to mainstay teams, but I'm quite happy with the roster.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: July 15, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »
As much as I'm looking forward to this game I can't help but feel a bit disappointed in many of these new characters. I realize that KOF hasn't had any real new characters since XI (claw Iori and Saiki don't count in my opinion), but some of these new characters just seem unnecessary.

You do have a point, they already had a fancy boxer in Heavy D for example so Vanessa was a pointless addition back in the day too. The thing is that you're adopting a negative view here. A new character doing "the same stuff" as an old character is a way for snk to expand the lore, the roster and to change movesets.

A lot of characters of old are infact just reimaginings of other characters and you're probably just used to them and therefore more accepting of them.

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: July 15, 2016, 01:43:19 PM »
For a tournament that is suppose to be world wide, KOF poorly represents a lot of the lesser known world. 14 games in the series and we finally have a South American team. Imagine how long it will take to get a full African that does not involve Egypt and South Africa.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: July 15, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »
For a tournament that is suppose to be world wide, KOF poorly represents a lot of the lesser known world. 14 games in the series and we finally have a South American team. Imagine how long it will take to get a full African that does not involve Egypt and South Africa.

Why does it have to represent everywhere? It makes sense to represent countries like Indonesia that actually have martial arts on par with Thailand. India has schools of martial arts that are interesting but that doesn't seem to be touched upon by any fighting game companies. I'd rather have them create interesting characters that they want to create than trying to make a happy-fun-time-rainbow of inclusion just to pander to new audiences.

*I found a list on wikipedia over African martial arts and while most seem rather brutish and unrefined (wich could work well), Engolo or N'golo as it was called on youtube is the most interesting as it holds similarities to various asian styles aswell as Capoeira. I could certainly see a team made up of the various styles i've seen.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:48:00 PM by The Fluke »

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: July 15, 2016, 02:56:08 PM »
I've dreamed of Nordic characters in fighting games, but they are ususally something like "Hey by the way, this character's Swedish". I guess Sweden has most international appeal...

I think Finns are most known in greco-roman and freestyle wrestling circles, but those aren't really "sexy" to be in fighting game. At least SNK had Ivan Sokolov representing real wrestling in Buriki One.

videoman190

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: July 15, 2016, 03:54:31 PM »

GarouStar

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: July 15, 2016, 05:11:55 PM »
Im African (Liberia/Guinea) and Portuguese. The country that has the most people of African descent is actually Brasil, so to say we need "African" characters is incorrect (Afro-Brasilians). I think people are confusing nationality and race. Moreover, Africa is a Continent and were not all the same. From country to country were different culturally and ethnically. Its going to be pretty hard to have a character represent  any continent with 100s of cultures.

Capoeira is a martial art that started in Africa (Angola) that was imported to Brasil. This also includes samba. So Zafina represents culture outside of Brasil as well.  Im ok with vidoegames not representing every aspect of African culture. I dont think people should look to a video game that has aliens, demons, testube babies, clones, resurrected humans and cookie monsters as a litmus test for diversity and representation of society.These are artist who just make a videogame.   KOF XIII stages are pretty stereotypical (chinese people in markets, western fat white women gorging on food, Indians on elephants etc.) and no one blinked an eye.  But this is just my opinion.

So I hear Kensou is back to his 2k2 self? Does this include his normals because he had weird normals in XIII because of his stubby limbs.

Is ramon like XI or 2k2?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:29:05 PM by GarouStar »

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: July 15, 2016, 05:49:31 PM »
Capoeira is a martial art that started in Africa (Angola) that was imported to Brasil. This also includes samba. So Zafina represents culture outside of Brasil as well.  Im ok with vidoegames not representing every aspect of African culture. I dont think people should look to a video game that has aliens, demons, testube babies, clones, resurrected humans and cookie monsters as a litmus test for diversity and representation of society.These are artist who just make a videogame.   KOF XIII stages are pretty stereotypical (chinese people in markets, western fat white women gorging on food, Indians on elephants etc.) and no one blinked an eye.  But this is just my opinion.

The same stages are in XII and they were talked about a lot backed then. People love to think XII is not real or something, but it is apart of the main line-up.

But you guys make good points.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:53:23 PM by Amedø310 »

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: July 15, 2016, 05:53:51 PM »
Capoeira is a martial art that started in Africa (Angola) that was imported to Brasil. This also includes samba. So Zafina represents culture outside of Brasil as well.  Im ok with vidoegames not representing every aspect of African culture. I dont think people should look to a video game that has aliens, demons, testube babies, clones, resurrected humans and cookie monsters as a litmus test for diversity and representation of society.These are artist who just make a videogame.   KOF XIII stages are pretty stereotypical (chinese people in markets, western fat white women gorging on food, Indians on elephants etc.) and no one blinked an eye.  But this is just my opinion.

The same stages are in XII and they were talked about a lot backed then. People love to think XII is not real or something, but it is apart of the main line-up.
I think they should've called XII something else, like Neowave did.

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: July 15, 2016, 06:09:52 PM »
Capoeira is a martial art that started in Africa (Angola) that was imported to Brasil. This also includes samba. So Zafina represents culture outside of Brasil as well.  Im ok with vidoegames not representing every aspect of African culture. I dont think people should look to a video game that has aliens, demons, testube babies, clones, resurrected humans and cookie monsters as a litmus test for diversity and representation of society.These are artist who just make a videogame.   KOF XIII stages are pretty stereotypical (chinese people in markets, western fat white women gorging on food, Indians on elephants etc.) and no one blinked an eye.  But this is just my opinion.

I think they should've called XII something else, like Neowave did.

Rebout EX

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pics of some of the remaining KOFXIV Characters: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210077205&postcount=3943

Kensou's design bothers me a bit. It might be the XIII pose in 3D.
------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.twitch.tv/atlususa KOFXIV Stream

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:15:16 PM by Amedø310 »

GarouStar

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: July 15, 2016, 06:26:35 PM »
Kensou looks......weird

Light13

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: July 15, 2016, 09:54:34 PM »
I like kensou's look better in 14 than 13 guess I'm in the minority. Glad I got to see Love Heart can't wait for the game. Really wish the game had a bmg selection.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: July 15, 2016, 11:26:59 PM »
Kensou looks......weird

His clothes are too shorts. Athena needs to give him an allowance.

I've dreamed of Nordic characters in fighting games, but they are ususally something like "Hey by the way, this character's Swedish". I guess Sweden has most international appeal...

I think Finns are most known in greco-roman and freestyle wrestling circles, but those aren't really "sexy" to be in fighting game. At least SNK had Ivan Sokolov representing real wrestling in Buriki One.

I don't think there's much to represent in Scandinavia either. There is supposedly some "viking wrestling" but seeing how vikings didn't leave manuals like medieval Europeans, for it to believable it would probably have be a sport that survived on iceland. I am very skeptical of this sports historical legitimacy and aside from that i think the north is lacking in martial arts. I know sweden was relatively early for european countries to adopt Judo but it's not big here. Russia has its own schools of martial arts so i think that's a better choice among northern countries.

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: July 16, 2016, 12:58:42 AM »
You do have a point, they already had a fancy boxer in Heavy D for example so Vanessa was a pointless addition back in the day too. The thing is that you're adopting a negative view here. A new character doing "the same stuff" as an old character is a way for snk to expand the lore, the roster and to change movesets.

A lot of characters of old are infact just reimaginings of other characters and you're probably just used to them and therefore more accepting of them.

While I am expressing some disappointment, nothing wrong with that, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say I'm "adopting a negative view." I would encourage anyone who has something that they aren't happy with about this game to go ahead and say it. As long as they keep things civil and aren't just making crap up to stir up others.

Just to clarify, I can't wait for this game to come out. Got the collector's edition pre-ordered. And I will at least try every new character.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: July 16, 2016, 07:07:26 AM »
While I am expressing some disappointment, nothing wrong with that, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say I'm "adopting a negative view." I would encourage anyone who has something that they aren't happy with about this game to go ahead and say it. As long as they keep things civil and aren't just making crap up to stir up others.

Just to clarify, I can't wait for this game to come out. Got the collector's edition pre-ordered. And I will at least try every new character.

I don't think you were wrong in any way. I stated that you were being negative wich is fine by me, but it may have seemed like i wanted to suppress you. My bad.