Author Topic: Best Button layout  (Read 4230 times)

toashinrock

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Best Button layout
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »
I just recently bought a stick and was wondering what would be the best button layout for this game.  I noticed in other games it's better to position the buttons accordingly;E.G. Guilty Gear Accent Core +R.   However, I was wondering how you guys have your buttons set.   Just curious because as of right now I play on the default setting, but I do know that I prefer a layout similar to Six button style of SF.   However, this isn't SF and is another beast in itself known as KOF.  All opinions are and will be valued as I test them all. :)
PSN: GAFGC_Shinrock
Currently Playing: KOF XIV, SFV, GGXrdR, BBCF

BodyOrgan

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Best Button layout
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 06:30:35 PM »
I use a six button layout. The default layout, plus macros for the EX moves.

A B (LP+HP)
C D (LK+HK)

Things can always change. I'd actually like to learn the SNK layout at some point. It would make the BC cancel easier IMO.

Hobojim

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 03:11:27 AM »
I used the same layout as BodyOrgan at first, but switched to:

B C D
A

Having a finger for each button made things easier on me after I got used to it. I should probably use macros with how often I get regular DM instead of EX DM, but ehhhhh.

toashinrock

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 07:33:43 AM »

B C D
A

Having a finger for each button made things easier on me after I got used to it. I should probably use macros with how often I get regular DM instead of EX DM, but ehhhhh.

Isn't that the standard SNK Arcade cabinet layout for buttons.  If I'm not mistaken because I seen a arcade cabinet that had this layout as well.   
PSN: GAFGC_Shinrock
Currently Playing: KOF XIV, SFV, GGXrdR, BBCF

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 07:45:04 AM »

B C D
A

Isn't that the standard SNK Arcade cabinet layout for buttons.  If I'm not mistaken because I seen a arcade cabinet that had this layout as well.  

Yes. It follows the original neogeo layout.

I play on default 4 button layout.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:46:49 AM by Amedø310 »

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »
I know I stated in another thread my skill level is so low I need basic training, but still, I'd like to share my personal experience with button layouts on a stick...
I've come to a conclusion that
---------
 ;b ;c ;d
;a

is the layout I'm most comfortable with in NeoGeo and UM KOFs
---------
 ;a ;c (;e)
;b ;d

is what I'm most comfortable with in all post-NeoGeo KOFs, because they require you to press ;a ;c and ;b ;d frequently - ;a ;c only in XII-, something I do more consistently with consecutive fingers than with alternate fingers. I hit ;a ;b and ;c ;d with my whole index and my whole middle respectively, I got inspired by a Street Fighter tutorial I saw some days ago.
---------
In a nutshell, I feel at ease with whatever layout SNKP suggests in the system page in the official arcade version site for each game. It's like SNKP changed the default arcade layout post-NeoGeo according to the need to press those button couples.

A borderline exception is Neowave: it's my least played KOF because I only got curious about it just before my PS2 started having disc tray issues, so I still don't have a layout of choice, but taking a look the system page I found out there's no system involving ;a ;c and ;b ;d, so I think any button layout should be fine.

I know you can configure macros, but I'm training to do without them in case I ever find myself in a situation where I can't use them, such as playing on an actual cabinet or attending offline tournaments (there are players out there who mock you as a cheater if you use a stick and configure button macros, just because they aren't available on the original arcade machine).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:18:48 PM by Micky Kusanagi »
Ore no...kachi da!!

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »
 ;a ;c ;a+ ;c ;a+ ;b
 ;b ;d ;b+ ;d ;c+ ;d

"Standard" layout with ex buttons added because double button inputs are unreliable in this game and my sticks buttons add to the problem further. I expanded on this by adding roll and blowback buttons because i got tired of not being able to guard cancel reliably.

BodyOrgan

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 05:51:16 PM »
;a ;c ;a+ ;c ;a+ ;b
 ;b ;d ;b+ ;d ;c+ ;d

"Standard" layout with ex buttons added because double button inputs are unreliable in this game and my sticks buttons add to the problem further. I expanded on this by adding roll and blowback buttons because i got tired of not being able to guard cancel reliably.
I may add the AB, and CD macros as well, because I've been getting unreliable GC's too.