What's your favorite joystick?

JLF
Seimitsu
Happ/IL
Korean
Hayabusa
Optical
Other

Author Topic: Joystick poll  (Read 26194 times)

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Joystick poll
« on: December 17, 2015, 01:35:12 AM »
I mean just the lever, not the whole arcade stick peripheral. I'm open to add more options to the poll if you suggest them.

Long story short, JLF is my favorite lever ATM. I find its "mushiness" perfect for fighting games. For my taste, Seimitsu-like levers require too much force for games where you need to execute fast and accurate circular motions.

The details: I started my journey into the world of above-average arcade sticks with the Namco Arcade Stick, which is supposed to mimic Seimitsu lever and buttons*, the stuff you found in a genuine MVS cabinet. Shortly after, I managed to find an used Japanese Tekken 5 Stick, the one with the lightning artwork. I bought it because I didn't know some licensed HRAP-like sticks don't have QD wires for buttons although they're equipped with a JLF, so I had to get help soldering QD wires to the PCB -I don't have any basic soldering skills. You can imagine my shock when I found out the awful stock buttons on that beast can't be easily swapped xDDDDD After making it full Sanwa, I love it.

I wish I had the skills to add PS4 compatibility and a touchpad...or that Hori made a PS4 stick with an Astro City type chassis. I miss that round, heavy design.

*Is it right? If yes, do any of you know what exact lever and button variation the Namco Stick is based on?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:36:44 AM by Micky Kusanagi »
Ore no...kachi da!!

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Joystick poll
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »
Hayabusa is my favorite joystick.  I have one in all of my KOF V.S. arcade sticks. Of course, I modded them with Seimitsu LS-32 Replacement Springs and kowal parts, such as the 1mm Oversize Actuator and the Hayabusa Octopus Octagonal Restrictor Plate, which fit my preference perfectly.

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »
Today I've bought a PS4 since SFV is almost ahead -didn't enroll in time for the last beta...-, and sadly, I'll be forced to buy a new stick, unless a PS2 to PS4 converter is in the works with appropriate countermeasures to the connection timeout bullshit made in Sony. Since I set my heart on the all Hayabusa HRAP*, I'm glad to hear you like the Hayabusa joystick -although modded- to the point you equipped four sticks with it. Yes I saw them in the sticks topic, amazing works of art...if you lived in Italy I'd mail my stick to you so that you modded it xD

*Waiting for the holidays to end before buying it, because the package would get lost in the Christmas gifts frenzy otherwise...Italian post service is SHIT.
Ore no...kachi da!!

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:51:13 PM »
Today I've bought a PS4 since SFV is almost ahead -didn't enroll in time for the last beta...-, and sadly, I'll be forced to buy a new stick, unless a PS2 to PS4 converter is in the works with appropriate countermeasures to the connection timeout bullshit made in Sony. Since I set my heart on the all Hayabusa HRAP*, I'm glad to hear you like the Hayabusa joystick -although modded- to the point you equipped four sticks with it. Yes I saw them in the sticks topic, amazing works of art...if you lived in Italy I'd mail my stick to you so that you modded it xD

*Waiting for the holidays to end before buying it, because the package would get lost in the Christmas gifts frenzy otherwise...Italian post service is SHIT.

Well, the hayabusa default spring is loose for some reason, even though it is a default sanwa spring. So you might want to change it out. Everything else with the stick, that is default, works great.

It's been a while since I posted any pics of my new sticks here. I only shown them off on Neogaf. Here are the current ones:

I use to do a lot of KOF stick art composition for MC TE Super Editions and Madcatz V.S.. I keep them at my photobucket for other people to use if they can find them: http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Amedo310/library/Stick%20Art%20Gallery?sort=3&page=0

I hear that the brook converter got updated to the current ps4 firmware and fixed the time-out nonsense.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:00:31 PM by Amedø310 »

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 11:26:57 PM »
Okay, it's official I'll have to buy the all Hayabusa HRAP. The Brook converter maps touchpad to L3+R3, but most PS2 sticks don't have L3 and R3, or at least the Jap Tekken 5 doesn't have them. Hope Brook issues a newer firmware with a different mapping.

So, the default Hayabusa could feel like a shorter throw JLF to me, right? That's what I've been suspecting about this joystick all the time. If that's the case, I think I'll like it without any mod.

Your sticks are always a sight to behold :D Thank you for the artwork link ^^
Ore no...kachi da!!

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:43:18 PM »
Okay, it's official I'll have to buy the all Hayabusa HRAP.

You might want to buy sanwa buttons for the HRAP. The kuro buttons are not good. There have been many reports of those buttons being subpar to sanwa or seimistus.

So, the default Hayabusa could feel like a shorter throw JLF to me, right? That's what I've been suspecting about this joystick all the time. If that's the case, I think I'll like it without any mod.

I honestly can't answer that since it has been a while since I used a JLF, but I can say that the hayabusa is easy to adapt to. It might feel off at first, since the diagonals can be skipped in circle motions, but you can adept quicker if you ride the square gate.  

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 09:13:59 AM »
Thank you for your advice ^^ The stick I'm gonna buy, I'm calling it "all Hayabusa" because it has new buttons called Hayabusa -just like the joystick- instead of Kuro. They're lower than the Kuros, rounded about the edge -sharp edges on Kuros caused some stir, and I can't blame those who criticize it- and a fancy matte finish (I couldn't care less, but hey, it's a feature xD. Hopefully they don't squeak anymore...

Here you are the Japanese official product page -I didn't find this model on the USA site

http://www.hori.jp/products/p4/p4_rap_vh2/
Ore no...kachi da!!

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »
Changed my vote from JLF to Hayabusa. I feel I get complex motions more consistently with the Hayabusa than with the JLF, especially when inputting them quickly, and I also noticed it by looking at input data in training mode. I wasn't getting jumps consistently in the beginning instead, but it was just a matter of getting used to a new joystick. It's funny how my first impression is kinda the opposite as Amedo :D

My only gripe with the Hayabusa is that I find its clicks more "toy-like" than the JLF LOL

(OT: the new matte buttons that come with the latest Hori sticks are great, I'd dare to describe them as very alike to OBSFs but with a tiny little bit of additional resistance)
Ore no...kachi da!!

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 09:37:12 AM »
I'm going to say Hayabusa, mostly because I don't know any better. I just switched restrictor gate to KOWAL Octopus one and holy shit what an improvement. I didn't like the default one, because I hated feel of not feeling the diagonals. I just tried some motions that were problematic and I could do double half circles in an instant.

I have that over-sized actuator too, but I have to think do I want to install it. Also figuring out how to do it would be nice too :)
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?