Author Topic: New to KoF, where to begin?  (Read 2475 times)

CallMeTetris

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
New to KoF, where to begin?
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:08:57 PM »
So I'm finally diving into KoF because 14 is looking fantastic so far and I'm hoping to get into some of the older stuff before it drops, but I'm not really sure where to begin, so I've got a couple (disorganized) questions.

I know 98, 2k2, and XIII are basically THE KoF games for the most part, but I'm kind of undecided on which one to get into, what are the main pros and cons of each one?  I've spent some time in training in each one, so I've got a basic understanding of the mechanical differences, but I'm kinda curious how much they vary in terms of speed, damage, emphasis on combos, emphasis on footsies, etc., or if any stand out as particularly beginner-friendly for someone new to the franchise. TBH I'm kind of leaning towards 2k2 solely for the roster but I don't want that to be the only reason.

Netcode is another big concern. I've heard mixed things about XIII's netcode, but is it overall playable for the most part, at least if you stick to good connections? Also the Steam versions of 98UM/2k2UM, are they decent for netplay? I'd prefer to stick with them if possible, but if not I know the vanilla versions on fightcade are always an option.

I've had a few more questions as well but they're slipping my mind atm, will probably have more as time goes on too, I'm just kinda curious if there's a consensus on the best starting point or if it's mostly just a matter of opinion.

AirLancer

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: New to KoF, where to begin?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:10:23 AM »
According to the devs, they made 14 to try and take the best of what worked in their most popular KOFs: 98, 2k2, XIII, and combine it into one game.

So from impressions from those who've played the demos, normals are stronger than they were in XIII, with better reach and hitboxes. Like in 2k2, and unlike XIII there's only the power gauge, and MAX Mode takes 1 stock of power gauge. MAX Mode confirms work like HD Mode confirms in XIII, however there's no drive cancelling. The feeling of the game and the controls is supposed to feel like XIII.

Even though it's getting inspiration from all its past iterations, I think 14 is definitely shaping up to be its own thing. In terms of a KOF that'll get you familiar with 14, I think XIII is currently the closest, since it also has EX moves (though implemented differently) and many of the characters have similar movesets to what they had in XIII.