Author Topic: Reflecting on SNKP/KOFXIII/etc.  (Read 4684 times)

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Reflecting on SNKP/KOFXIII/etc.
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:10:56 AM »
Begin rant:

Saw a few interesting articles tonight. Probably random at first sight, but I'll try to make the connection. This first link:
http://orochinagi.com/2010/09/fans-risks-and-fighting-video-games
is an article I can easily agree with for the most part. SNK and KOF has consistently been some of the biggest risk-takers in fighting game, especially with XII. Going above and beyond practical budget constraints to update sprites in hi-def in an age of 3D modeling, gutsy decision. As much as I like Capcom for their fighting games, I do wish they'd take more risks, even though their business model was set as "some changes, very little evolving, more profit." When they did take a radical turn with their main flagship fighter (SFIII) the reception seemed hardly welcome, maybe except to those who've waited for a long time for Street Fighter to mature from SFII.

Growing up with both SNK and Capcom fighters together, favor constantly shifted toward SNK. Putting a lot of their fighters side-by-side, from sequel to sequel I saw more differences and new attributes that made each game very discenable from the next, and made each game relevant somehow, even if it was older. I could go back to '94/'95 or '96/'97 and enjoy them as their own games, versus playing SFA1 when SFA2 was available, or any previous SFII if I had the latest one. Capcom had great fighters under their belt besides Street Fighter or the Versus games (Darkstalkers, Rival Schools/Project Justice, Power Stone, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, etc); it pained me to see them not getting anywhere near the consideration SF got. Even now, as the fighting game genre is growing again, articles like this make me quesiton how it's growing

http://shoryuken.com/content/1-million-signatures-need-make-next-gen-darkstalkers-2000/

1 million signatures for consideration in producing Darkstalkers. Wow Capcom. As if you didn't have the money, man-power, or couldn't make it great enough to where it would be an unforgettable title (it'd look perfect it the cartoony look of SF4 I think anyway). Capcom is probably thinking solely on the basis that a name will make a great sell, when it should be a great game will make a great sell, and make the name worth something. Thank you in advance if you prove me wrong Capcom.

I believe that's where XIII is headed; getting there will be a bitch in America, but it's still possible. They've already fulfilled so much of what the fans wanted XII to be, plus lots of extra stuff to make this the deepest KOF yet. I won't even get into how much the effing costumes cost in DLC for SSF4 while XIII has an array of color palettes that make almost brand new costumes for free - scratch that, I just went into it.

Since I'm about at the end, I'll just say thank you SNK for thinking more about quality, and balancing it with fan demand, complaints, and other stuff equally when it comes to this one.

End rant.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Remxi

• Strongest Tiger
  • Mithan's Robe
    • View Profile
Re: Reflecting on SNKP/KOFXIII/etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:16:26 AM »
That 1 million signatures thing is a massive insult to fans, IMHO. I feel insulted by it and I don't even care about Darkstalkers haha.

krazykone123

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 12:31:42 PM »
1 million signatures huh? well good luck with that Capcom lol

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »
That 1 million signatures thing is a massive insult to fans, IMHO. I feel insulted by it and I don't even care about Darkstalkers haha.

Hurts even more for those who like it.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 08:17:05 PM »
imo, only those dumb enough pay for costumes. i want the game, if theres free costumes in it or ones i need to win through gaming, im all for it. but me being a fucking retard for paying for some bs that doesnt even do anything in gameplay is a big fucking nono.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 05:39:53 AM »
I'll never understand why people pay for costume DLC. Is it really that important? Hell, you just know the people who made BlazBlue CS made a lot of money in costume packs because everyone needed to have the Joker color alt for the character Hazama.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:42:09 AM by Cibernetico »

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:48:39 PM »
I'll never understand why people pay for costume DLC. Is it really that important? Hell, you just know the people who made BlazBlue CS made a lot of money in costume packs because everyone needed to have the Joker color alt for the character Hazama.

Maybe speaking for those who do pay for costumes, it's pretty much a completionist thing. Lots of games outside of fighters have huge loads of extra content to them. From previous gens, some are just used to getting everything 100% out of a game. But that is beginning to change with extra stuff now coming at extra costs. Sort of breaks my heart to see the DLC age flourishing.

Lol at Hazama in a Joker color btw. It would probably fit him, but I'd rather see it on Ash. It's like better than perfect on AC.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Judge Fudge

• Rising Dragon
  • Judiciously Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:28:25 AM »
As a massive Darkstalkers fan, that petition is bullshit.  I hate petitions anyway, but don't jerk us around like that.  We've been waiting for a new game for 13 years, and to dangle it over our heads without any real intention of actually making it is such a dick move.  At this point, I kind of don't want them to make a new DS game, since it probably won't be anywhere near as good as Hunter or Savior and will only tarnish the DS series' reputation.  Plus, I don't like what Ono did with Street Fighter and don't trust him with DS in the least. 

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 06:27:49 AM »
Plus, I don't like what Ono did with Street Fighter and don't trust him with DS in the least. 

I thought the cartoony style he gave SFIV would've fit a new Darkstalkers perfectly, but then again, I second you with how much Ono could mess things up.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Cronopio

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 12:55:34 AM »
SNK will never get to that as long as they stick to 2D and cater to the hardcore like they still do. Which will probably put them on bankrupcy again, but I prefer that to how Capcom has fucked their franchises up.

solidshark

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 01:38:35 AM »
SNK will never get to that as long as they stick to 2D and cater to the hardcore like they still do. Which will probably put them on bankrupcy again, but I prefer that to how Capcom has fucked their franchises up.

Well, if they ever make another MI, they'll have their 2D and 3D implementation again; but then again, the SNK track record might demand sticking to 2D.
-Terry Bogard, 1995