Author Topic: KOF 2002UM - Kyo Kusanagi  (Read 27845 times)

Blind Piper

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: KOF 2002UM - Kyo Kusanagi
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 02:42:04 AM »
Alright, I'm getting it now. It looks like I was trying to do it too early, as the second kick was striking, instead of just after it. Thanks, Desmond.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
When I try to do the (qcf+C, qcf+A, qcf+C) sequence in BC mode, I'm sometimes getting the second part of his A rekka (the mini-launcher) on the third input.  Possible cause/solutions?

Also, is there any good way to handle air-to-air with Kyo?  I've been trying to use j.A and j.CD, but both of them seem to get stuffed a lot (which is strange because all of the Kyos' j.CD usually gives me trouble when I'm going against it...might be a match-up specific thing, so I'll add that I notice it the most against Iori, Kula, and Terry).
Old man/bad player

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 06:34:06 AM »
Maybe you're mashing A while doing qcf+A?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:37:51 AM by Desmond Delaghetto »
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
Nah, the only special move input I mash with Kyo is qcf+K~K *laughs* .
Old man/bad player

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
Try slowing down between qcf+C and qcf+A, because if you do them too fast, one of the motions might carry over into another.

krazykone123

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 06:00:41 PM »
Also, is there any good way to handle air-to-air with Kyo?

Spacing hh.D and j.2C

Try slowing down between qcf+C and qcf+A, because if you do them too fast, one of the motions might carry over into another.

Correct.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 01:35:33 AM »
Got a handle on the rhythm of it now.  Thanks :)

Spacing hh.D and j.2C
Dammit, how could I overlook j.d+C *laughs* ?  I'll keep those in mind.
Old man/bad player

Dark Chaotix

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Devil Of Dream Cancel
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »
This is a test vid on having hand visuals in a tut vid. First one i tired so i know there is abit of desync. Might be useful to someone here?

2k2um Kyo Kusanagi Vs Combos (+ Hand Visuals)

Any feedback on how to make this better would be appreciated

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 11:47:11 PM »
Cool stuff, Dark Chaotix!  Thanks for making it :)

The hand/game desync didn't bother me much since I can only pay attention to one of those at a time *laughs* .  Definitely useful to see the input timings, though...maybe not so much for basic combos, but for sure with BC stuff.  Would've probably saved me some frustration with getting consistent on free canceling rekka starters, if I'd waited another week or so to try learning it *laughs* .

The only thing I can think of adding would be some of the other options for juggles off of qcf+D~D.  Maybe they don't really need to have separate entries in the video, but just a note saying that #2 can also use ...hcb+B,qcf+A instead of ...rdp+B for more corner carry and slightly more damage at the cost of oki, and that #5 can use the hcb+K OTG grab instead of the OTG punch for more meter gain and slightly more damage at the cost of a hard knockdown.  Kind of a nitpicky point, though.  Really nice job otherwise :)
Old man/bad player

Dark Chaotix

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 12:58:42 AM »
Thanks.

The purpose of these vids are to show basic combos to more advance stuff, to help players that are new to the game.

Im aware that there are some combos that i could of added in but there are heaps of variations with the combos he can do for whatever reason. I added in the combos that I actually do and find useful. The combo you describe i could of added but i didnt want to spend too much time on it, but appreciate the input.

To me, he can be a scary character with his cross up game, so using knockdowns for combo finishers help with mixup. Thats what I think tho....

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 02:47:46 AM »
That vid was great, some sick combos!

The only thing I had trouble was because we both use different layouts, I use the ABCD curve, while you use the box. Other than that, its was fun to watch.

Dark Chaotix

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 03:39:56 AM »
That vid was great, some sick combos!

The only thing I had trouble was because we both use different layouts, I use the ABCD curve, while you use the box. Other than that, its was fun to watch.

Thanks.

Funny enough, my old layout was

AB
CD

so I changed it because arcade used the current layout that I use now. I wasnt the type of player that could play multiple layouts (i know players that can) so it was a burden to me. It would of been good to be like Tekken where the layout is the same regardless of where you go. I blame the cabs that the oh so old kof games were put in....Owners had to make do with the layout they had haha.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »
To me, he can be a scary character with his cross up game, so using knockdowns for combo finishers help with mixup. Thats what I think tho....
Definitely agree that Kyo can do some nasty things with hard knockdowns, so it's probably worth giving up about an A's worth of damage for stronger setups most of the time.  It's just that, for me, Kyo is usually the least meter-dependent of my characters in 2002/UM aside from Jhun and O.Chris, so I try to balance oki with meter gain (and the best way I've found of doing that is to force the other character into the corner).  Sure, Kyo's not exactly the best battery in those games, but he seems to work well enough for me, especially compared to using someone like Leona or Yamazaki in a battery role.

It would of been good to be like Tekken where the layout is the same regardless of where you go. I blame the cabs that the oh so old kof games were put in....Owners had to make do with the layout they had haha.
Man, some of those old button layouts... *laughs*
Old man/bad player

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
Fact: Kyo is good at Mid Range in this game, but he really excels at close range, which is where you should strive to be. He can go through fireballs with his QCFX2+P Super, negate fireballs with QCF+A, and use QCF+ A as a good poking tool for midscreen. His HCF+A can pass through projectiles as well. He has good normals and great neutral tools to help him get in and some damage.

His Far C is just bad; bad priority, whiffs under some crouching opponents, uncancellable. You should stay away from it.

HIs Far A, B, and D are all the opposite of Far C, however, and are important. Far A is your anti-hop, and serves an immediate anti-air for the hops. Far B keeps them in check from hopping, and good as a ground poke. Far D is the same as Far B, but is more active and can beat people at the end of their hop. His Cr.B trips people if they think Kyo might go for D at mid range and making it whiff.

Although his A rekkas are somewhat safe, the K followup misses a lot, and should be seldom used for followups. Comboing into it is out of the question. You should only use his A rekkas for space control and delayed frametraps from followups.

You should use C rekkas for comboing from his hard normals, and his A DP for comboing into his light normals, though the latter can be risky, since the DP can whiff at a certain distance. If you have really godlike execution, you can confirm QCFX2+P from his St.A

HIs Orochinagi is useless hitconfirming into on the ground because of its slow startup, but is good for punishing a laggy normal from afar and ending juggle combos.

HIs Max 2 SDM is an instant command grab, and can combo from Close C, or be used as another mixup pressure option. It can also punish abusable stuff up close.

HIs Cr.C and Dp are the go tos for anti-airs and anti-hops, and sometimes Close C as well.

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
Does anybody know any good mixups off upkick, J.D Reset with Kyo? Only thing I found was a safejump setup off Delayed HyperHop J. ;b.