Author Topic: KOF 98 UM - Ex King  (Read 6695 times)

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
KOF 98 UM - Ex King
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
Notation
;a = Light Punch
;b = Light Kick
;c = Strong Punch
;d = Strong Kick

Throws
Hold Rush: ;bk / ;fd+ ;c (close)
Hook Master: ;bk / ;fd+ ;d (close)

Command Moves
Slide Kick: ;df + ;d

Special Moves
Trap Shot: ;fd ;dn ;df + ;b / ;d
Venom Strike: ;dn ;df ;fd + ;b / ;d
Tornado Kick:  ;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk + ;b / ;d
Moushuu Kyaku: ;rdp + ;b / ;d

Desperation Moves
Double Strike: ;dn ;df ;fd ;dn ;df ;fd + ;b / ;d
Surprise Rose ;dn ;df ;fd ;dn ;df ;fd ;a / ;c
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:01:35 PM by desmond_kof »

Waifu Material

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF 98 UM - Ex King
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
Notes

Ex king is a version based on her character from Art of Fighting 2, sharing some resemblances with King from 94-95, even though still had some common points with Normal King, like her normals, and some specials.

Slide Kick can be comboed from heavy attacks, and comboed into her specials and supers, even though the the timing is really strict. You don't need to cancel this move a normal to combo it into another move

Venom Strike is king classic projectile,  ;b version is slower than the  ;d version

Ex King's tornado kick is different from the version of normal King, since this one travels  horizontally, while the last one travels vertically. This move has a decent priority and travels from a good chunk from the screen, so could be used for pressing. Only could be comboed from heavy attacks, and from the Slide Kick

Trap Shot is a move that only needs the first hit to be connected to fully execute.

Moushuu Kyaku is an EXCELLENT MOVE, is a proximity unlockable that could be comboed from anything!. And that's not all, this move juggles your opponent, and after it, you can connect Venom Strike, Tornado Kick, Trap Shot (you had to walk a little to connect this though, unless you are on the corner) and even Double Strike. When you had the opportunity to connect this move, do it, is worthy. That being said, be careful with this move, since if you are far, and the move doesn't connect, the move has a large whiff animation where you could be punished, so try to learn under which normals and situation you can combo this move

Double Strike is a doble projectile DM (Unlike Normal King where is an special attack) if the first move is deflected by a projectile (special or DM) the second one will still connect. Same with the SDM version, unless if is deflected by another SDM projectile, in this case, both projectiles will be cancelled under it's totally

Surprise Rose: Another move that was an special attack of Normal King and that now is a DM. This move has 2 parts, one where Ex kings moves upward and then downward, If the second part hits King will perform an Autocombo, If the parts hits, there's still the risk than the second and most important one will not hit. The move has a very good priority and could be used as an anti air. even though if you use it at is, there will be the risk that the second part will not connect

Jumping CD is a very good move to keep presure, and has a good priority, if the move produces counter state, you can hit ANYTHING (except Moushuu Kyaku) even connect surprise rose, if well this DM does more damage than double strike, is more risky to connect after her Jumping CD, but normally if the first hit connect, the second one will always connect, so you should try to know where connect it

Waifu Material

the_judge

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »
I will say that I much prefer this version of King.
Walking forward and hit confirming cr.B into Trap Shot is much easier with the motion being changed to a standard dp. The added D fireball assists with her zoning through projectiles.
EX King works well in both Advanced and Extra. Due to her somewhat lackluster DM's, she is not very meter dependent. Which also means she can fit in just about any slot on a team.
Generally, King leans more towards defensive gameplay. Her far.D and far.C are superb long pokes. Partnered with cr.B she has very good ground normals to keep up with just about any char. Her anti air options include: far.D, far.C, far.B, cr.C, Trap Shot, and Tornado Kick. Obviously her anti-air options are very wide, though most of anti-airs are better to stop more distanced jump-ins.
Her aerials of choice are basically j.D and j.CD. j.D is very fast, can be used as an instant overhead, a jump-in with decent hitstun and blockstun. j.CD is somewhat like Chris' j.CD, she swings her leg in a large arc, though her's doesn't reach as far down as Chris'. Has good blockstun, but you won't really be creating very much pressure after it on block, as she really doesn't lend herself to pressure.

In Advanced, her preferred team positions are first or second. As she somewhat rarely uses her DM's, she can essentially be used as a strong defensive battery.
In Extra, she doesn't really benefit much from the meter bar that Extra uses. However when partnered with Step, she benefits greatly in her spacing and zoning with the faster walk speed. Also mind you King has one of the fastest dashes while in Step. Due to her more distant spacing she has a lot more safety to charge, theoretically, you can walk back and forth poking and denying jump-ins, while holding a full charge, which will allow you to GCCD in the case you are put in a pressure situation, and then put your opponent back where King wants you to be.

Not very knowledgeable when it comes to matchups, but this is the most I can pull out on EX King in 98UM.

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:22:11 AM »
I want to disagree a little with her ''lackluster dms''

Surprise rose is a move with decent priority and range that well timed could cause lots of problems, the only big problem is that if the move whiffs, your opponent will had a long time to punish you

And double strike is an amazing move, which can be connected after her moushuu kyaku, hell, lots of times my key point with ex king is had lots of stocks, even though i agree than she is better as an defensive character

Waifu Material

the_judge

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
I called her DM's lackluster cause they seem very straight forward to me. Surprise Rose whiffing after the initial hit makes it somewhat difficult to use as an anti-air (Possibly remedied in FE). Not too sure about it as a reversal, haven't tested that much yet. Double Strike does good damage, but in Advanced I don't see much of its use. For Extra, if Double Strike is combo'd from moushu kyakuu, and the opponent isn't too close to the corner, if you add a very slight pause before throwing the double strike it will carry the opponent to the other side of the screen and give you enough time to safely charge nearly an entire stock. They could possibly close some distance on you, but you can have at least 75% before they get in their optimal range.
To sum it up. Surprise Rose seems unreliable to me, and Double Strike is pretty much only used if I am in a very specific situation, and landed a setup.

Dark Geese

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 05:14:01 PM »
Best version of Suprise Rose to use with EX King is the C version..as an anti air and everything else. I use EX King like I do Young Geese from NeoWave, that is how you use that super.

Also anytime they throw a fireball at all you throw double shot super. EX King is one of my prized backups in this game because like Eiji, EX Geese/Geese, and Krauser, they all can slow the game down.

Next time I face Kula I plan on pulling EX King out.

Also if you watch how I play EX King, you will see I use Extra ULT Mode with Extra, the way I play all of my characters in that mode you have to be able to control when you are going to charge for meter.

You also have to know all her anti airs which some of them are:

far st.b, Cr.C, fat st. C, HH/Neutral/Forward Jump CD.

I will edit this video and post some of my casuals vs. MightyMar with me using her to give you some ideas.

Also the surprise rose missing after the first hit is okay, that's a way of keeping it from being overpowered, it still is a fear factor for people, and that's its best use.

I'd even go so far as to say regular King has worse supers!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:52:45 PM by Dark Geese »

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »
Og King has worse DM's than EX king imo, her qcf, hcb it's really hard to connect unless its a combo, same the other DM

Imo you had lots of opportunities to connect both dm's of ex king

Waifu Material

Dark Geese

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »
Yeah OG King's supers are a lot harder to land. Yeah I saw a lot of opportunities to land both dm's with EX King in that video, which I proceeded to land more of in the following videos. I was more trying to set him up in the beginning.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 12:48:25 AM »
I'm going to start working back on my ULT EX King since I'm more comfortable using her OG counterpart, plus she seems more safer to use...
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 03:20:28 AM »
The thing that I love about Ex King (and his counterparts from 99 to 2001, or 2002um Is that she is very useful to keep pressure on your opponent, and has an amazing zoning game for me, between her venom strike, trap shot, and tornado kick, I had lots of tools to keep the opponent where I want

And her normals are amazing too

Waifu Material

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 07:10:07 AM »
Okay, I've seen the light. After playing with her for a bit, I think shes legit as hell, WAYYY better than OG King, especially in Step mode. I have a found a cool little air reset with her rdp + K, and some easy combos into her qcfX2+P (cr.b x 2, super or cr.b, cr.a, super). I will keep playing with her to see how she does against some characters I have trouble against.

Dark Geese

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 01:23:38 PM »
Okay, I've seen the light. After playing with her for a bit, I think shes legit as hell, WAYYY better than OG King, especially in Step mode. I have a found a cool little air reset with her rdp + K, and some easy combos into her qcfX2+P (cr.b x 2, super or cr.b, cr.a, super). I will keep playing with her to see how she does against some characters I have trouble against.

The problem with EX King is if you know how to fight her..if you know how to fight her you can bait her fb super (which then means her meter is gone), and bait her Suprise Rose Super. Certain people like Clark or grapplers if she misses a Surprise Rose super can command grab her, so that's something else to be careful of!!!

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »
I started on the EX King wiki:

http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=EX_King_(98UM)

If anyone wants to add some notes or information, just post it here or if you're okay with using what you've already posted, just let me know!

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 04:17:52 AM »

The problem with EX King is if you know how to fight her..if you know how to fight her you can bait her fb super (which then means her meter is gone), and bait her Suprise Rose Super. Certain people like Clark or grapplers if she misses a Surprise Rose super can command grab her, so that's something else to be careful of!!!
Why would anyone be doing random FB Super instead of confirming into it.

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 10:22:15 PM »
FB super is not as good to use it as a surprise DM like a fast hao sho ko ken, so I just use it after a RDP + K. Could work but is not that effective IMO

When I started playing with her I thought that surprise rose could be a good anti air, but there is a big risk that the move could whiff

Waifu Material