Author Topic: Help with PS3 connection speeds.  (Read 6119 times)

Dark Geist

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Help with PS3 connection speeds.
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:16:23 PM »
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone would be able to help me out.  I have yet to get a lagless match in KoF94/XII or SamSho.  I know people love to bitch about the netcode, but I think those are just SSIV fanboys hating on SNKp's better games :P

I did a net test on the system last night and was only doing about 800k upload and about 1.7M down.  This is really bad for my internet.  Also the thing that makes me the most confused is, I have 100% signal strength to the system (connection is wireless).

My setup does not allow me to hardwire to the router because the cable modem is connected to the pc in my office and the PS3 is in another room (along with my gaming pc).  I have a wireless-g range extender, and with that my gaming pc gets wired net speeds...everything is super fast, online gaming/streaming/dl's...even ggpo has no lag.  Now I have no idea if there are any tweaks/setups I can do to get my speed up on the PS3.  It would make more sense to me if my signal was 70% or something and getting that up would help, but with 100% signal I am totally confused as to what else I can do to make these games playable.

I need this figured out especially for when XIII is released!!! Any help is appreciated.  Let me know if any other information is needed....oh yeah, everything is up to date btw.

Thanks!!
PSN:  Geist_Hexenjager

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Re: Help with PS3 connection speeds.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but wireless connections are always problematic. It's not so much a question of speed but of packet loss.

Your first step should be wiring your connection. This may be an odd idea but could you wire the PS3 to the extender? That may help a bit with packet loss since with your current setup you've got twice the chance for packet loss.

The second step is to set your PS3 to a static IP and forwarding the proper ports
TCP:

UDP:
3658 should also be opened for voice chat.

I'd also recommend restarting your modem and then router in that order?

When you ran the connection test, what was you NAT type? Your NAT type should be 1 or 2. 3 is the least desirable.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:10:41 PM by nilcam »

Dark Geist

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »
Thanks for the information Nilcam.  I don't remember the NAT type, I want to say it was either 1 or 2.

As far as connecting to the extender, that is also pretty far away.  And a certain wife would kill me with wires running in hallways lol.

Do you think it would be better if I tried to wire my pc to my PS3?  I have great connection with pc.  Wonder if that would be a better connection for PS3 then (I think I still have the net port even though I had to install the wireless adapter for the pc).

If I can't get the ps3 wired at all (even from the pc or would be a worse option), would setting the static IP/forwarding, like you said, still help out in that situation then?

I really hate wireless and dealing with this stuff, but dammit, I want to play some good online KoF/SamSho!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:39:01 PM by Dark Geist »

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:26:42 PM »
Port forwarding should help a bit. I don't know how much exactly.

As for connecting the PS3 to your PC, it's worth a shot though I'm not sure how that would work. You could connect it and test the connection to see if it's better.

I'm lucky in that my condo is fairly small and the ethernet jack is fairly close to my living room.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:28:44 PM by nilcam »

Dark Geist

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
I have been screwed using wireless for far too long.  I should be getting a new house hopefully within 6 months.  I'm just gonna have a game room so everything can be wired.

I'll have to try the port forwarding and using the pc bridge and hope that helps.

I don't get how my pc wireless is fast as hell but the ps3 sucks.  I have read that the wireless adapter in the PS3 is trash...dunno, so maybe doing the hardwire bridge will help.

hdcloudstrife08

• Strongest Tiger
  • RAWR!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 08:12:43 AM »
add me we got sum of the best players around we would love 2 get more psn players bro Cheers!!!!!
Radio killed the SNK SHOW!!!!! Radio killed the SNK SHOW!!!!

Dark Geist

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »
add me we got sum of the best players around we would love 2 get more psn players bro Cheers!!!!!

I definately will!  Last day of work today before a 4 day weekend, so hopefully I'll get my net connection solid fast so I can get some good gaming in this weekend.

Didn't have time yesterday to mess with anything, but I will today....I hope something works out good lol.

Dark Geist

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:42:58 PM »
I static IP'd the PS3 and forwarded the ports for that IP and now after the test I get 5.5 download and 1.9 upload.

BTW it is NAT type 2.

So this should be good to play online now right?

I'll try to play later on :)

Thanks again for the help.

ZeWickedOreo

• Strongest Tiger
  • iamGab.
    • View Profile
    • 10over10
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »
So I see... :| that's why whenever I play my naruto 2 online it seems to have a bit of a delay... I'll try this Asap! Thanks maaan!
BUCK UP, BRUH! :>

iamGab

KBlackNoah

• Scion of Flame
  • I am not arrogant, I just have high standards.
    • View Profile
    • Black Noah
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 01:28:44 AM »
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone would be able to help me out.  I have yet to get a lagless match in KoF94/XII or SamSho.  I know people love to bitch about the netcode, but I think those are just SSIV fanboys hating on SNKp's better games :P

For XII i guarantee you it's shit.ssf4 netcode is way better  and more than playable

example 1

example 2

the test was made with the same user.and XII servers were empty

ZeWickedOreo

• Strongest Tiger
  • iamGab.
    • View Profile
    • 10over10
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 04:21:55 AM »

For XII i guarantee you it's shit.ssf4 netcode is way better  and more than playable

example 1

example 2

the test was made with the same user.and XII servers were empty
damn you could see how screwed up the xii netcode is... even from the start... o.O
BUCK UP, BRUH! :>

iamGab