Author Topic: NGBC General Discussion thread  (Read 62843 times)

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
Re: NGBC General Discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »
i need to get one of those fancy team names that dont make any sense

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2011, 04:22:14 AM »
Any of you guys down for a match tomorrow around 5 or 6?
KOF XIII: EX Kyo,Mai,Saiki

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2011, 07:12:34 AM »
would 6:30 or 7:00 be ok?

FreeRunner

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2011, 07:19:59 AM »
Ok I think it's time to let you guys in about a few things on Mai. Had no idea she was underused lol. Here are my findings (again my bad if this isn't anything new).

Non-Obivious things you need to know about Mai:

(This is assuming your buttons are default)

Let's start with her  ;dn (charge)  ;up  ;a or  ;c.
I'm sure anyone who played with her knows about her options with this. Hold either  ;a or  ;c for a dive, or don't hold them to just jump off the wall which allows you to do either or her air command attacks or grab them with  ;c ;d.

Did you know that you can use her  ;dn ;db ;bk  ;a or  ;c and her aerial super (which is  ;dn ;df ;fd ;dn ;df ;fd  ;a or  ;c in air) from  ;dn (charge)  ;up  ;a/;c ? Just input the motions like you normally would. When your going foward (towards the opponent) though, remember that she will turn around and go straight for the opponents direction. Great for mindgames and can be a good punish from any angle.

Also take note that if you corner the opponent and you decide to jump over them to wall jump, her aerial specials will make her dive away from the wall. For example, if you jump from the left and initiate a wall jump from the right, you'll dive to the left. (Be sure you input the move as if you are on the left to pull this off. Take my previous example, when coming off the wall press  ;dn ;db ;bk  ;a/ ;c.) Just something to keep in mind, you probably won't do this very much.

Other discoveries with moves, tricks and combos

- Jumping  ;b combos into all command aerials ( ;dn ;a is questionable, could combo on bigger characters). A trick you can do is cross-up with jumping  ;b and immediately do  ;dn  ;b. This makes it a bit harder to block her cross-ups since  ;dn ;b brings her back to the other side. I need to test this trick a bit more but so far so good :).

;dn ;db ;bk  ;a/;c combos from  ;dn ;a, and  ;fd ;d. All dives combos into her air super. So if you catch your opponent jumping in the air with a dive, it's basically a free super. All other aerials (except  ;dn ;b and  ;dn ;d) cancel to her dive but it doesn't combo.

- Use  ;dn ;df ;fd ;a, you'll be able to recover fast enough so you can follow the fan. A good trick players tend to forget in the heat of battle, for it covers up your approach. I'm sure there are other creative ways to use this as well.

- If you hit with  ;fd ;b, you can juggle with another move. This only works in the corner.

As far as combos is concerned, I think I'll wait until I post it on the wiki or make another post with it if requested.

Final tips

- Practice!! You will be going at a fast pace so keep your execution solid.

- Learn how to store charges while dashing. That way you can leap away at a moments notice.

- Don't use any ground specials unless it's in a combo or you are sure it will hit. Alot of her moves are unsafe and you will be punished hard for it.

- Mix it up!! A predictable Mai will get nowhere. She has many options in the air and mobility department, so no excuses.

- Get them in the corner. This is where your offense gets scary.

Any questions feel free to ask. Her wiki will be updated hopefully sometime this week. It will take some time, but I'll cover everything you need to know. First time explaining things in-depth I hope I did alright :).

You're too slow!!

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2011, 07:24:40 AM »
i need to get one of those fancy team names that dont make any sense

Team Kool-aid is named that because of my color scheme (Mars People - purple [grape] and Neo Dio - red/purple [cherry])...

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2011, 07:33:29 AM »
Good info FreeRunner!!! That's definitely wiki material!!! I think you're the only Mai player I've come across for this game. Plus you have a wealth of good info to share, so hats off to ya!!!

I don't play Mai as much, but I know when I do play I try to catch people off guard with her air ;qcb ;a / ;c and if it connects and I have at least 1 stock, I'll cancel to the super...

Yeah she's really good when she's ridiculously moving all over the stage strategically... I think she's slightly slower than Lee in terms of movement in general, but she has more options than he does... Plus she has so many ways to combo into a special and super if available...

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
The Ain't Ryu team (Hanzo/Ryo)

Oddly enough, half of the roster could be a member, I hate the fact that this game has lots of shotos or variations of them : (

Waifu Material

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:41 PM »
Guys is it okay if I sent you a freind request ......

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »
The Ain't Ryu team (Hanzo/Ryo)

Oddly enough, half of the roster could be a member, I hate the fact that this game has lots of shotos or variations of them : (

I think its about 1/4 really... Having a fireball and anti-air doesn't technically make you a shoto... It's more of the gameplay that does... Like you can't really zone with Ryo, nor can you truly anti-air with Yuki's ;dp ;a / ;c ... Try to play Haohmaru like a shoto, and its curtains for him easily...

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2011, 11:41:11 PM »
would 6:30 or 7:00 be ok?

Yea its ok.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
Hello

I just recently started to play NGBC again (alone... on my PS2... PAL version). My problem has always been, what team I use.

I like using Mr. Karate (or Ryo), but partner for him... sigh. Robert would make sense because they have that special partner attack (or what was it called?), but problem is that this version of Robert sucks.

So my choice is between Terry, Rock and Asura. Terry has been my favorite character for a long time, but I just don't like him Garou outfit and moves. Only good thing is Busta Wolf and that's about it. But I'm still pretty good with him.

Rock is an intresting character. I like the fact that he is mix between Tery and Geese, but he is just hard to use.

Asura seems fancy, but he is just so damn slow.

Does anyone have some hints how to play with these three and/or with Mr. Karate?
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2011, 09:24:47 PM »
Hello

I just recently started to play NGBC again (alone... on my PS2... PAL version). My problem has always been, what team I use.

I like using Mr. Karate (or Ryo), but partner for him... sigh. Robert would make sense because they have that special partner attack (or what was it called?), but problem is that this version of Robert sucks.

So my choice is between Terry, Rock and Asura. Terry has been my favorite character for a long time, but I just don't like him Garou outfit and moves. Only good thing is Busta Wolf and that's about it. But I'm still pretty good with him.

Rock is an intresting character. I like the fact that he is mix between Tery and Geese, but he is just hard to use.

Asura seems fancy, but he is just so damn slow.

Does anyone have some hints how to play with these three and/or with Mr. Karate?

Greetings!!! It's nice to hear about people that play this game regardless no netcode... /thumbsup

Ok, we have some info on the wiki for these characters (Terry's needs work because I think its empty though)... Now, picking the characters kinda depends on your play style or preference... Both Ryo and Terry have good rushdown options, especially Terry since he can break his Power Dunk with ;a + ;b , and his combos are good, and allow for some good mixup... Ryo has easier basic combos compared to his KoF version, but if you really want to benefit from him combo-wise, you need to learn how to buffer ;qcb + ;a ~ ;db ;fd ;b from ;dn ;b ;dn ;c (the timing isn't too bad though)... With Ryo, his counters stop so much this time around, and his ;dp ;a has tons of priority...

Now for Robert... I don't actually think he's bad of a character... He has a low/high mixup with his fireball... In the corner, he can combo a couple flash kicks, or a flash kick to the super version... His mixups allow him to go from zoning to straight up rushdown in a matter of 1-3 moves...

Rock, well, he is fun to play as, but he requires a bit of time and practice... Learn to buffer his 360 throw on the ground, and to cancel it, as his ;qcb ;a is his best option from that move instead of the beam... His counters are good, but there are some moves that he can counter successfully but the attack will whiff, so look out for that... Like his dad, his best combos are only in the corner...

Asura is considered D tier, which is the lowest, but he still does a ton of damage and can be a threat if in the right hands... He has good long range pokes and keep away tactics, but his true strength lies when he's in close. Asura has several chain combos when in close, and his counter allows him to combo in his super... Speaking of supers, he's the only character in the game that can cancel a super with another super... His air game is ok, but not as strong as Terry or Robert...

Geese is C tier, but its primarily because he doesn't really have combos except for in the corner... His ;bk charge ;fd ;d is safe on block, but be weary of gcfs... He can't really get his ;df ;c on grounded opponents because most moves allow the opponent to either tech, or the ground grab just whiffs... Aside from that, you can't extend the Deadly Rave combo by stopping at the last ;d and doing something else, so if you get the first hit to connect, finish the whole thing...

Again, a good chunk of this info and more are on the ever-growing wiki... There's still tons of work to be done on the wiki though, so if you don't see anything for a character, just ask and anyone will be glad to give good info... Dark Geese is an even greater source of info for this game, so you can ask him about some things, and he'll drop a few gems...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:46:55 PM by jinxhand »

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2011, 05:09:28 AM »
Today i found out that Rock can link his Shine knuckle (B version) after you connect the A version of his hard edge during the 360 command throw (shortened) from anywhere on the screen.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
Today i found out that Rock can link his Shine knuckle (B version) after you connect the A version of his hard edge during the 360 command throw (shortened) from anywhere on the screen.

There's a few other things that can also connect with his 360 throw if you break the throw with ;a ;b ... You can do an ;uf ;c and on landing, buffer another 360 throw... Technically, doing a standing ;a and inputting a buffered throw while hitting standing ;a will throw immediately after the hit, somewhat making it seem like a "combo"... ;uf ;d sometimes connects with the 360 throw, so that can also be an option if there's either lag, or you want to setup the right spacing for a setup on landing... If possible, you can also make ;qcf ;qcf ;d connect and take the opponent to the corner, at which you might be able to finish the combo with a rising tackle or raging storm... I've gotta test it, because I can't remember if it connects fully or whiffs at a certain point... His rising tackle counts as an ultimate juggle move, too...

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2011, 05:58:50 AM »
720 throw motions and  ;db charge ;df ;db ;uf motions...

Am I secretly playing Street Fighter?