Author Topic: NGBC General Discussion thread  (Read 63288 times)

Dark Geese

Re: NGBC General Discussion thread
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2011, 02:18:28 AM »
Yeah I forgot til ayer, the ;d version is the "side swipe" so the hitbox is wider... The ;b is the "backflip" so yeah the hitbox for that is I think slightly taller, but not wider of course...

From playing Athena, she seems more about setups and mixups than just actual combos though...

She does, she has more setups than actual combos in NGBC. The thing with her though that is the problem, is that once you figure her out she is not nearly as effective. She is good for catching people off guard that have very little experience fighting against her, but if people know how to fight her she is not as effective.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »
Yeah I forgot til ayer, the ;d version is the "side swipe" so the hitbox is wider... The ;b is the "backflip" so yeah the hitbox for that is I think slightly taller, but not wider of course...

From playing Athena, she seems more about setups and mixups than just actual combos though...

She does, she has more setups than actual combos in NGBC. The thing with her though that is the problem, is that once you figure her out she is not nearly as effective. She is good for catching people off guard that have very little experience fighting against her, but if people know how to fight her she is not as effective.

I'm thinking since that's the case with Athena, having a character who can act as battery from rushdown and combos would then serve as a plus in supporting her, because her real setups and strats require meter... Like for instance, Kisarah probably can do well without using a whole lot of meter (maybe 1 if needed). She could be the point character to build meter, then ;qcf ;e and change to Athena... She'll be able to do extra damage, plus have meter to work with...

Dark Geese

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »

I'm thinking since that's the case with Athena, having a character who can act as battery from rushdown and combos would then serve as a plus in supporting her, because her real setups and strats require meter... Like for instance, Kisarah probably can do well without using a whole lot of meter (maybe 1 if needed). She could be the point character to build meter, then ;qcf ;e and change to Athena... She'll be able to do extra damage, plus have meter to work with...

Yes exactly, that's why Tung-Athena work beautifully because Tung builds meter the fastest in the game, and he doesn't really need it, and Athena needs it.

Athena-Kisarah doesn't work nearly as well because well- both use the meter given to them and neither of them builds meter that fast...

Even Kisarah Karacanceling Slide to qcb+C~D  (or just qcb+c~D) over and over doesnt build meter as fast as Tung landing one dive kick to muscleman!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:09:15 AM by Dark Geese »

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
Yeah Tung I think builds meter even faster than Marco, and I know he can just throw stuff out and build meter...

How do the Mexican players feel about NGBC??? Is it solid enough to them for tournament play, or is it just something to play to kill time???

Dark Geese

« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2011, 07:27:21 PM »
Yeah Tung I think builds meter even faster than Marco, and I know he can just throw stuff out and build meter...

How do the Mexican players feel about NGBC??? Is it solid enough to them for tournament play, or is it just something to play to kill time???

Just to kill time, I'm trying to get Kula to play it seriously that way I can have some solid competition...

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »
That's cool... It would be nice to see a part 2 to this, as SNK was going in the right direction, they just need to refine the engine imo...

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »
Found a nugget just now...

http://wiki.livedoor.jp/ngbc/ has some good information, albeit in Japanese... It's got frame data for some characters (YES!!!) and some other strats and tidbits of info... Good luck in trying to read this in google translate, as its quite horrible in many areas... I'll try to do a bit of translation (I still suck at JP though for the most part)... Anyone else willing to translate please feel free to help. Thanks!!!

Dark Geese

« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »
That's cool... It would be nice to see a part 2 to this, as SNK was going in the right direction, they just need to refine the engine imo...

I agree if they actually made a NGBC2 it would be stellar as it is headed in the right direction.

krazykone123

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2011, 06:00:44 AM »
Found a nugget just now...

http://wiki.livedoor.jp/ngbc/ has some good information, albeit in Japanese... It's got frame data for some characters (YES!!!) and some other strats and tidbits of info... Good luck in trying to read this in google translate, as its quite horrible in many areas... I'll try to do a bit of translation (I still suck at JP though for the most part)... Anyone else willing to translate please feel free to help. Thanks!!!

Thanks Jinx, I'm gonna peep that link and see what's good.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »
Outside of a teleport, and the ability to combo a ;dp ;a off of an anti air, what else makes Hanzo better than Fuma??? From what I see, Fuma has better combos, and can build meter faster. Plus his regular combos alone do a good amount of damage, they're good hit confirm combos for punishing with a quick light attack, and some of them knock down for some spacing... His supers aren't great, but they make for good chip damage. Hanzo has to teleport all of the time, and successfully execute his backward ;uf ;b in a mixup to be a real threat. Not only that, his ;dp ;c isn't great, and it has a weird arc to it that hasn't been fixed at all since the arcade version... He has combos, too, but the real ones require meter, and the backwards teleport kick at times to really do damage... What do you think???

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
I keep coming across matches like this one here:

http://youtu.be/RtnnZAQk8HE

Notice Haohmaru is glowing at the start of a match. I was told awhile ago that this was based on arcade settings, and I was also told that this depends on whether or not you were a certain level (there was leveling in this game per sé)...

I'm trying to see if this is possible on either the ps2 (jps2) or xbla version of this game... Now I know that there's no leveling in these versions, but has anyone come across this mode in any of the console versions???

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2011, 05:00:38 PM »
GGs to J0EJUSTICE last night... Great Mudman/Shishioh you got there... Learned a few things during the session and in practice mode that I'll also post on in the individual threads:

* Asura's ;qcb + ;a / ;b / ;c is height-specific. So fighting someone like Mudman, or anyone with a ground fireball should be countered with ;qcb + ;c , which is the low counter.

* Shishioh's ;uf + ;c beats out Mr. Big's ;a + ;c / ;b + ;d lariat move. It can beat out Mars People's st. ;c and st. ;d . Outside of a counter, Neo Dio's ;dn ;c can beat it out.

* Shishioh's ;qcb + ;a / ;c can be teched, but the timing is ridiculous, if that's screwed up, then Shishioh gets the free ;dp + ;a / ;c.

* Yuki's sengoku counter has a short window, meaning that the actual period in which he can counter ends way before the moves animation ends.

* I'm not sure if this was already on the Asura thread, but st. ;d , ACTS, st ;c is a strong combo, especially because the st ;c can't be avoided, unless the player does the move late. Even if that's the case, Asura is still safe.

* Rock is really underrated!!!

* You can't really tick throw Geese's 360 command throw or 720 super throw like you can with Rock's 360 throw.

* Speaking of Rock, that st. ;d works wonders as a good poke vs the right character.

* Lee's ;dn ;c can only be used in a combo on counter hit, in which the best option is his ;qcf ;qcf + ;a / ;c super, or the ;qcb ;qcb + ;a / ;c super in the corner.

I can't think of anything else right now...

FreeRunner

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:32 AM »
Phew.

Updated a bulk of Mai's page. Who would have though wikis took a bunch of work x_x. Won't complain about wiki's ever again after this XD.

All I have to do is fill in the general strategy section. Probably gonna do that a little later, trust me it will be done  ;). Maybe work on another page after this O_O? Hope my contribution helps you dream cancel (SNK rather) heads out.
You're too slow!!

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2011, 12:34:30 AM »
Yeah I checked that stuff out, and yeah its dope!!!

I did some testing with Mai myself, and also have some answers to some of the info on the wiki...

Mai's ;fd ;b doesn't go into ;a or ;b simply because she doesn't have enough frame advantage for those move to connect. ;c and ;d naturally hit harder, and have allow to connect with ;fd ;b just on numbers alone (I'm looking for that frame data actually). I though the best usage for it would probably be for mixups leading to quick overheads, but as I'm testing it out, neither ;fd ;b or ;fd ;d count as overheads at all, even if done by themselves. Doing ;uf ;qcb + ;a / ;c after a string doesn't even count as an overhead if the opponent is crouching and blocking, so I see why she's not as strong in general. You can, however, use ;a or ;b (not ;dn ;a / ;dn ;b ) to hit confirm for a link to ;df + ;b , and cancel out from there.

Mai also has a very bad backdash. Granted, not everyone's backdash is like a 98 EX mode backdash, but hers barely makes her go back, so in a sense you're forced to do all kinds of aerial movement to gain any type of gap.

Hats off to finding a meter saving method to get ;dn ;d to link with air ;qcf ;qcf + ;a / ;c !!! I did notice that it works regardless of distance, but it gets a bit hard to cancel if you're right at that point in which ;dn ;d will hit.

Her standing ;b is somehow looking like Athena's standing ;d , as they're both good pokes.

One strange anomaly with her though is her ;qcf ;a / ;c . I understand the whole speed difference, where using ;c shoots a faster fan, but I feel that both versions should've been able to link in a combo. I'm not sure where they were going with this, maybe have her ;a version slow enough to act as a delay and use it for mixups or whatever. I'm not sure.

FreeRunner

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
Yeah I checked that stuff out, and yeah its dope!!!

I did some testing with Mai myself, and also have some answers to some of the info on the wiki...

Mai's ;fd ;b doesn't go into ;a or ;b simply because she doesn't have enough frame advantage for those move to connect. ;c and ;d naturally hit harder, and have allow to connect with ;fd ;b just on numbers alone (I'm looking for that frame data actually). I though the best usage for it would probably be for mixups leading to quick overheads, but as I'm testing it out, neither ;fd ;b or ;fd ;d count as overheads at all, even if done by themselves. Doing ;uf ;qcb + ;a / ;c after a string doesn't even count as an overhead if the opponent is crouching and blocking, so I see why she's not as strong in general. You can, however, use ;a or ;b (not ;dn ;a / ;dn ;b ) to hit confirm for a link to ;df + ;b , and cancel out from there.

Mai also has a very bad backdash. Granted, not everyone's backdash is like a 98 EX mode backdash, but hers barely makes her go back, so in a sense you're forced to do all kinds of aerial movement to gain any type of gap.

Hats off to finding a meter saving method to get ;dn ;d to link with air ;qcf ;qcf + ;a / ;c !!! I did notice that it works regardless of distance, but it gets a bit hard to cancel if you're right at that point in which ;dn ;d will hit.

Her standing ;b is somehow looking like Athena's standing ;d , as they're both good pokes.

One strange anomaly with her though is her ;qcf ;a / ;c . I understand the whole speed difference, where using ;c shoots a faster fan, but I feel that both versions should've been able to link in a combo. I'm not sure where they were going with this, maybe have her ;a version slow enough to act as a delay and use it for mixups or whatever. I'm not sure.

Don't worry too much about  ;fd  ;b. It's not that useful by itself anyway. I just posted the properties I noticed about it. I'm also aware of her lack of an overhead (and her backdash), they will be addressed too :).

Edit: Ah no wonder there was confusion with  ;fd  ;b! I didn't mention that what I was talking about only worked in the corner, silly me >_<. That's why you couldn't connect moves after it, remember it's a juggle. Still not very useful though, Close  ;c to  ;fd  ;b is the better option.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:07:33 AM by FreeRunner »
You're too slow!!