Author Topic: The King of Fighters 2002/Neowave/UM/Tougeki General Discussion Thread  (Read 139096 times)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: The King of Fighters 2002/Neowave/UM/Tougeki General Discussion Thread
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2011, 02:41:11 AM »
I know the basic of the game but I'm obviously doing something wrong during the match. I feel like I'm missing something but i can't point out. So I'm here at General Discussion asking for gameplay advice something to remember while I play.

Can you be a little more specific? You can try to remember anything that happened in any of your matches that you feel that you are having trouble with? Do you have any matches recorded?

The only advice can I probably give so far is to just be really defensive and try to scope out and remember your opponents offensive tendencies, and look for things that repeat. Then after you guys play, at home go into training mode and try to remember certain attacks or setups that you kept falling for and use the command record function to reenact those setups...
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 23, 2011, 05:59:19 AM »
not sure if I'm posting this at the right spot but here goes. There's a player named Youske here in Albany dude is sick in KOF 2k2UM. I finally got a player to play with, but dude mops the floor and makes me look silly. I know the basic of the game but I'm obviously doing something wrong during the match. I feel like I'm missing something but i can't point out. So I'm here at General Discussion asking for gameplay advice something to remember while I play.

Like the post above said it's hard to tell you what you are doing wrong w/o seeing your match or playing you, but from how it sounds my bet is this guy knows way more about KOF then you do and over committing in your moves might be your problem.

Hopefully you know your safe moves or in other terms particular moves or combos that don't leave you wide open when he counterattacks you for missing them or getting blocked by him. When playing someone above your skill level and trying to beat them it's key you master them. No matter what sick combos you learned a high level player will make you look stupid in KOF if you over commit to certain moves. Orochi Yashiro is one that can easily prone to this since he has lots of moves that kick the crap outta people but my strategy has always been let him hang himself and counterattack.

Second don't let him dictate the pace and distancing of the match. I will take a guess but he probably has a fast pace and very damaging combos. If that's the case keep your distance. Use characters that you can fight mid range to long range easier and let him get frustrated that he can't do what he wants to do. Yuri, Ryo, and Iori are better for those type of matches then Kyo and Orochi Yashiro.

Again it's hard to decipher what the problems are here but that's my 2 cents.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

ELTRO

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 30, 2011, 04:04:16 AM »
Sorry for the extremely late responds was busy with work. As for the matches themselves I was very Vague about the match sorry about that.

As for the matches themselves I would say one disadvantage is that my defense is crap compared to his. He would keep me a bay as I try to get in. He gets in like nothing also never drops his combo. My problem is that I lack defense also can never get a combo off a short jump consistently. As for the character I use I'm not so sure what pokes I should use mid and close range so thats another factor. If it's still to vague let me know and I'll try to expand it.
Main team: K, Kyo, Iori(claw)
Secondary team: Ash, Robert, Shen
Third team: Ryo, EX Kyo, EX Iori (my 98 team)

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 30, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »
Well if he's slipping by you I would say you are probably too close to trade with him.

In my experience there are generally speaking 3 ranges to work from. close, mid, and long. Long is the easiest to work from. The idea is to attack and counter. The further out you are the easier it is to see the moves coming. A good example is throwing fireballs to get him to jump at you, then an anti air attack when he tries a jump in.

Next easiest is close range. That is  attack, then block. Most of this relies on muscle memory more then anything. Adaptation is not a big thing here. Mostly just to decide whether to block high or low. during close range you really can't get too cute cause there are too many quick moves that can be thrown out before you get the chance to block.

The hardest IMO is learning mid range. The main idea there is to attack then evade then attack some more. You're at a larger distance the the close range so the quicker moves aren't as big of a factor as if you were inside so the main goal at this range is to attack and not get hit rather then block so the attack can continue ultimately it's about one continuous attack. Good example to me of the difference between close and mid is Iori's Shoryuken move. At close range getting cute and trying to quickly block or evade will more then likely get you hit cause of the quick first strike of the move, but if you are a body length apart his first hit does not connect giving you plenty of time to notice the move and evade or counter accordingly.

Now if your defense is getting torn apart I would stay away from close range for any serious amount of time. You should shoot more for long and try to learn mid.  However if he's using mid from what you describe  using a mix of close and long range attacks will screw with him.

A good example would be if you took Ryo push him back with the fireball. Look for opportunities to use the flying axe handle smash move. If he blocks it immediately go for a low block (most people go for sweeps for a quick counter attack just cause it seems the easier place to get a free hit). Now when he counter attacks and hopefully you block it  you can either leave, try the wind up punch (kinda risky but if he is the type to attack, attack, attack, then the auto guard him make him pay), or try pushing him back again with another fireball (if it hits then you get the damage, if not then it usually makes you safe)  then starting over with a new strategy or the same one.

This is just an example of one way to attack someone looking for high damage combos. The main general advice is realize what range he likes (close, mid, long) and don't let him have it. When a fighter has to fight out of his normal pace he tends to make more mistakes you can capitalize on.

I'm more of a teach by doing type but hope this helps a little.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Dark Geese

« Reply #334 on: April 13, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Just wanted to update with the Juarez Tier List from The KOF Cup in addition to stuff I have discovered:

S Class:
Geese, K', Kasumi, Angel, King, Nameless, Jhun, EX Takuma

A Class:
 Yuri, Iori, Takuma, Heidern, Robert/EX, Leona, Goenitz, Ryo, Clark, Billy, Mature, Choi, Bao, Whip, O.Chris, Hinako, Benimaru, O.Yashiro, Andy, May Lee

B Class:
Athena, Mai, Kim, Daimon, Kyo, Shingo, Kyo-2, Kusanagi, Seth, Mary

Mid Tier:
Vanessa (Highly damaging level ones off a guardcrush, overhead, or low up to 50% damage in addition to being able to face King, Jhun and Kasumi in the top tier) + the rest of the cast

Bottom Tier:
EX Kensou, Chin

Some notable moves:

1. Angel moves into Top 4, she has like no true bad matchups!!
2. EX Takuma moves back into S Class!
3. Vanessa moves into Mid Tier!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:05:08 PM by Dark Geese »

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #335 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
It's good to see that Vanessa is getting love... But Kyo-1 still getting shunned I see...

Geese and Goenitz allowed in those tourneys??? Who used them??? That whole boss row is broken or overly overpowered (yes overly op)...

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 15, 2011, 04:10:06 AM »
How different is this version compared to the ps2 version?

One of my biggest problems is that trying to do the bc combos with the xbox 360 wireless controler i just cant i feel like theres a delay in input, the other day I tried to do leona combo which was  ;d;b ;c + ;bk charge  ;fd + ;dn charge  ;up + ;bk charge  ;fd;dn charge  ;up, I fell like getting those rigid controllers to see if I can do those bc and cancel, seeing those combo vids on youtube  got me pump to put more effort it this game.

What controllers do you guys use and can you do some of BS combos with ease?

need help

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 15, 2011, 05:41:30 AM »
Just wanted to update with the Juarez Tier List from The KOF Cup in addition to stuff I have discovered:

S Class:
Geese, K', Angel, King, Nameless, Jhun, EX Takuma

A Class:
 Yuri, Iori, Takuma, Heidern, Robert/EX, Leona, Goenitz, Ryo, Clark, Billy, Mature, Choi, Bao, Whip, O.Chris, Hinako, Benimaru, O.Yashiro, Andy, May Lee

B Class:
Athena, Mai, Kim, Daimon, Kyo, Shingo, Kyo-2, Kusanagi, Seth, Mary

Mid Tier:
Vanessa (Highly damaging level ones off a guardcrush, overhead, or low up to 50% damage in addition to being able to face King, Jhun and Kasumi in the top tier) + the rest of the cast

Bottom Tier:
EX Kensou, Chin

Some notable moves:

1. Angel moves into Top 3, she has like no true bad matchups!!
2. EX Takuma moves back into S Class!
3. Vanessa moves into Mid Tier!

I like how the whole AOF cast is in the top 2 classes. Juarez proving that AOF team is still the strongest.

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 15, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »
Ash i think it would be better to move to a fightstick, it would really help since the 360 wireless controller has horrible buttons that's supposed to be used for shooters instead of fighters.
KOF XIII: EX Kyo,Mai,Saiki

jedpossum

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 15, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
It's good to see that Vanessa is getting love... But Kyo-1 still getting shunned I see...

Geese and Goenitz allowed in those tourneys??? Who used them??? That whole boss row is broken or overly overpowered (yes overly op)...

Goenitz just find a way in and he's gone. For Geese bait him.

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »
I 'm sure of how useful this will be but here's a neogeo fan-site that has og KOF 2002 guide for each character: http://www.neogeokult.com/game-guides/kof-2002-guide/

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50:53 PM »
I 'm sure of how useful this will be but here's a neogeo fan-site that has og KOF 2002 guide for each character: http://www.neogeokult.com/game-guides/kof-2002-guide/

Thanks for the link Amedo, looks really useful.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Dark Geese

« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »

Yes Geese and Goenitz are allowed in these tournaments. No one else is allowed though. No Igniz, or the others. Goenitz in Mexico isn't that strong, A Class at best and as jedpossum says, just get in on him and he's toast, so he's nothing to fear. Geese is strong, but certainly not unbeatable. He has a hard time vs. Angel (Who in Mexico is #3 in the game), and anyone that can play keep away like Heidern, Billy.

Kyo-1 I use him but I haven't seen enough as of yet to vaunt him being raised in the Mexican Tier List at least. Also I forgot to put Kasumi in S Class, she I'd say is #3 with Geese and Goenitz allowed. Angel in Mexico is #4 however.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:05:48 PM by Dark Geese »

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 21, 2011, 11:32:41 PM »
I'm not sure if this is known already, but in UM 2002 Tougeki, the cpu have pre-registered commands in training when you set the "command" option for attack. These commands are different from the ones given the to players when they press the "command" button. Most commands go into max-modes combos except for Joe. Some interesting things I just found out:

Joe: cl.  ;d -> Far  ;a/ ;dn ;a (cr. A might work on Chang only.)

King: cl.  ;a-> Far  ;c

Hinako:  ;fd ;b ->  ;dn ;b

Igniz:  ;dn ;df ;fd+ ;a (cancel),  ;dn ;df ;fd+ ;a etc... (Not talking about his infinite)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:05:50 PM by AmedoS310 »

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »
Yes Geese and Goenitz are allowed in these tournaments.

Why? And is this accepted elsewhere in the world other than North America?