Author Topic: The King of Fighters 2002/Neowave/UM/Tougeki General Discussion Thread  (Read 139057 times)

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
So, I just noticed that these threads mention NeoWave in their title, but the sub-forum doesn't. If I had a question about NeoWave, would this be a better place to ask? Or should I turn to the small thread I made in the main KOF section?

@jinxhand: Japanese tournaments are generally run in arcades, so Geese and Goenitz aren't available.

Dark Geese

So, I just noticed that these threads mention NeoWave in their title, but the sub-forum doesn't. If I had a question about NeoWave, would this be a better place to ask? Or should I turn to the small thread I made in the main KOF section?

@jinxhand: Japanese tournaments are generally run in arcades, so Geese and Goenitz aren't available.

Go right ahead and ask me, I'll fill you in on what you want to know about NeoWave.

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Well, it's a pretty basic question, but I'm still not clear on the benefits and disadvantages of the different grooves. Any general advice you have on them would be appreciated.

Dark Geese

Well, it's a pretty basic question, but I'm still not clear on the benefits and disadvantages of the different grooves. Any general advice you have on them would be appreciated.

It depends on the character really in regards to the advantages and disadvantages.

For SuperCancel Mode for example, Takuma cannot use his 2k2 esque Guardbreak tactics in GB mode or MAX2 mode, but he can in SC Mode.

Vanessa for example Cannot use her 2k2 100% combo in GB mode or MAX2 mode because it lacks the Cancel property.

But in GB mode it benefits people like Clark, Young Geese etc because Young Geese has an invincible super (Deadly Rave), but not an unblockable in GB mode gives him a much needed option.

Just Defense in GB Mode does NOT give back health, but it does allow you to punish, you can NOT JD in the air, and it DOES give you super meter.

It makes grapplers scarily good, and totally changes the dynamic of the game. The most used groove you will see in this game across all boards is GB.

MAX2 gives you access to all the supers in the game (SC mode does not nor does GB Mode), but you can not roll and you do more damage in this groove.

So everything depends on the character which are their best grooves.

Also in SC Mode you start with 3 supers from the beginning so it was in the beginning known as the "Dark Geese Young Geese groove" because I used to use that groove to allow me to have access to 3 Deadly Raves from the beginning lol,

But since my style has drastically changed, I now realize in GB mode I start with 2 bars of super meter, have an unblockable, and now with JD can gain super whenever I want and can punish otherwise "unpunishable" normals.

NeoWave because of GB mode in a high level is a very much different game, it is an animal of it's own.

GB completely changes and slows down the game at a high level trust me on this!!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:25:10 PM by Dark Geese »

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
Yeah this game is definitely something different than the other KOFs... I like its overall presentation, and I definitely like KOFNW's Shingo!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/e5NoODAJ9JA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/e5NoODAJ9JA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
I always considered Neowave the red-headed stepchild of the series. The priorities in the game were way different, and certain characters were insanely better for it (Jhun is one that comes to mind). It was fun though. Got my butt kicked in it a lot. I miss it being online on XBL
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
SC Kim is a real beast. He reminds me of XIII Kim, actually. I'm also really liking SC King.

In GB mode, only Clark has really clicked with me. Unblockable into air throw into flashing elbow is just too fun.

Great game, but I wish the music was better. 2002UM has spoiled me I think.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
Whenever I play KOF '02 original, it's usually a hacked version (that's because I have no shame and the controls are easier). One thing I've noticed is that some moves are disabled. I can't pull of Shermie's F-Captured or Benimaru's Collider in + s2. Anyone else notice this?

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
^ It seems like the motions need to be preformed slower, but no I get them off. Which system are you playing on? The computer rom when I played before seemed to give me trouble compared to the MVS I usually play.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
^ It seems like the motions need to be preformed slower, but no I get them off. Which system are you playing on? The computer rom when I played before seemed to give me trouble compared to the MVS I usually play.

NeoRAGEx 5.2 >_>

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
I just started playing 2k2 UM and this game is so good holy crap. I wish I played it sooner. Max mode combos are a ton harder than HD combos  :(.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters 2002/Neowave/UM/Tougeki General Discussion Thread
« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2011, 02:40:29 AM »
Cause I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering, but why do you guys think that even with UM out, a lot of countries and tons of players still prefer OG2k2 to UM? I recently played OG2k2 and the game is still a lot of fun to playa nd also feels a bit faster compared to UM.

but there has to be a reason why OG2k2 gets so much play even to this day.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 17, 2011, 02:43:14 AM »
Cause I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering, but why do you guys think that even with UM out, a lot of countries and tons of players still prefer OG2k2 to UM? I recently played OG2k2 and the game is still a lot of fun to playa nd also feels a bit faster compared to UM.

but there has to be a reason why OG2k2 gets so much play even to this day.

People can't get enough of ABC, I suppose.

MAASKYO

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 18, 2011, 07:15:22 AM »
or maybe the get bored from k.kasumi.namelss
 a F.E version maybe will change there mind (day dreaming)