Author Topic: The Virtua Figher 5 thread: just 6 months before the end of the world  (Read 70773 times)

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
Re: New Virtua Figher 5
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
im seriously gonna need to have somebody teach me VF im straight ass at it

http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/doku.php?id=vf5:start

This is the best place to start. I'm aight, but I guess cats consider me aight online, so I can help out with whatever you (or anybody else) may need. I'll try to be on this week for matches and chatting. Honestly, if you can get KOF down, it will be just as easy to understand VF. It's not as hard as people suggest. It's alot to learn overtime, but that doesn't make it difficult at all.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 01:28:39 AM »
The problem I see with DL release of the game is that not many people will know about it. Having a box with a cover at a gaming store it by itself an advertisement tool for the game to sell and at least it will keep the awareness of the game alive way more than the DL version will.

Also it's really annoying/hard to show this to other people, because it's not in a media in which you can take it to someone else house. For the case of the 360, you could take the HDD, but that is not that simple with the new ones now. So having a disc version will help VF5 sell more, meaning that there will be way more people playing this game online and making the VF community bigger. Heck, even Pre-ordering the game will help ease out the payments to the game, since you can pay it slowly, unlike selling it online which means you will have to pay the $20 to $40 dllrs in one go.

Well that is my point of view on why it's important for SEGA to release VF5FS in disc format.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 02:17:48 AM »
I don't know, I could see SEGA point of view on all this, I'm sure that they had a big reason on why there was not follow up of VF 5 online after what, 4 years?

They had lots of chances, after vf 5: Online Edition which was the revision C, they released revision d, then virtua fighter 5 R on 2008, 3 other revisions of 4, FS and FS Revision: A. I don't know if the game was a flop or what, but there must be a strong reason on why SEGA decided to not release a new revision of VF5, moreso in a era where fighting games revived from a more mainstream point view on the western.

Hell, some game has spoiled people so much that maybe will not be a good idea to release virtua fighter on disc, people will want a compelling story mode, more extras, minigames, or things like that, and maybe sega knows that they will not afford to make those things to the point of gain some profit of it.

Plus there is the whole stigma that VF is just for hardcore fans (that elitist attitude is harming the game IMO) that the characters are boring, that the game is boring (hell, seth killian buried the game on commentary at EVO when it was revealed that fuudo was a former vf player, and seth replied that he changed to the side where the fun was) and that hardly the game will pick up in western markets (yeah I know that VF4: EVO was a greatest hits and sold like 1 million copies, but Im sure that this was helped for the fact that was a cheap game after a short span)

So yeah, at the moment, we should be glad that the game is released at all, and final shodown none less, hell maybe we could get the latest update arcade next year, even you could think that SEGA is trying to make a quick buck for VF5 or that this is a thank you for the VF community who is really devoted to the game here, there are tons of options, but I could see why the game is DLC, and at the moment IMO is for the better, maybe this will help to create some hype for VF 6 with a full fledged release.

With soe marketing this game will be fine, at least if fighting games fans buy it just because is cheap, maybe it will suceed and gain some more fans

Waifu Material

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 02:27:07 AM »
I agree with you. More than likely if sales go great, they'll release a disc version of the game. As of now, they're kinda in the same predicament as SNK in terms of funds. Sure, the arcades have been going well, but they're not Koei, where 90% of their income is from Japan only, and they still seem to be fine, even after the merger with Tecmo. As for the arcade rating vs other games (Tekken 6, etc), check out the Arcadia listings for the past year. Both R and FS have been on the charts, with R doing better than T6. SF4's probably the only fighter that's done better than VF. Gundam is always popular, and they have 2 games on their charts, and stay at number 1.

I wish they had a demo available like they did for VF5, at least to hold us down while we wait. I mean tons of people are willing to get the game just because of Jean and/or Taka alone, so having the demo with one of the best stages and best songs with those 2 as playable characters would be a great way to advertise. If Sega's smart, they'll try to do overkill on the advertising anyway, since that's one reason no one knows about the game as much as say people in Japan or even China.

Alot of people are complaining about it being released as digital only. I honestly don't care what format it comes in, since I don't mind hauling my xbox 360 slim anywhere. I might go with ps3 though, since I don't have many fighters for it (ah3, kofxii, mk2, kof95)...

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 02:37:40 AM »
Im buying a ps3 next year so I will buy it for both, just like XIII, more players, the better

I hope that it comes with all the customisation and shit that appears on screen

Those are special titles or what?

and about the arcadia magazine top 10

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/1/1/arcadia-magazine-top-10-arcade-games-in-japan.html

This was from the begginning from 2010, I read the one where KOF XII was released and list was nearly the same, all the 2009 and 2010 was dominated by T6 with a lot of difference

http://blacknoah.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-10-arcadia-magazine-for-december.html

Same by the end of 2010

http://www.neoempire.com/?p=9012

And recently last month VF 5 surpassed Tekken 6.

Still, the game is runnning wild in japan, now is time to play it here!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:44:15 AM by sibarraz »

Waifu Material

Sonikku

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 01:06:03 AM »
FINALLY THANK YOU SEGA T_T now my only wish is for a new jet set radio

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 02:34:18 AM »
The only thing that I hope is that SEGA includes a tutorial mode in the game

It was sad to see no one in VF5

Waifu Material

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 05:53:13 AM »
I'm almost positive they're gonna push some tut on this one. The ps3 ver. (ver.B) was mad rushed, so they left out alot of things, and the AI was dumbed down heavily. The x360 ver. (ver.C) was good imo, it was missing some much needed elements in training mode like the record function, which was also in VF4EVO I believe...

Sega has mentioned that there's more to come with regards of FS. They said that there's "no plans" for putting a spectator mode in the game, but I feel like they're gonna pull a fast one on that. I remember back when 5 was coming out for x360, and I was telling cats that there was gonna be an online mode. Sega went from no online, to online, but xbox aware only (who the eff uses that anyway, like what Otogi?), to full xbox live functions with a lobby. I was calling it back when they were saying no, since Sega does crap like that alot (remember the Saturn release date?).

They've made major changes to the game, specifically with newcomers in mind. With that said, I'm sure those newcomers weren't Japanese newcomers, since quite honestly the game is easy to learn, albeit alot to learn, its still teachable. It had to have been newcomers overseas, since that's where most of the complaints come from. The real test for Sega was making a game that allowed people to pick it up and play, while still making it solid enough for the arcade community, so that the sales won't drop considerably before considering a console release. This is their "all-or-nothing" attempt like SNK's with KOF XIII. Since that's the case, we the (potential) consumers will have to see how much of an all-or-nothing attempt they're willing to make for the overseas community.

For those interested, now's the time to start practicing/learning. If you respect the game enough and are open-minded to take a crack at it, its a good time to pick it up in preparation for FS. Take advantage of the scene revival that's now taking place. You may or may not actually be apart of those forums, but it has a wealth of info, and everyone there is friendly and willing to help anyone learn the game (pretty much like this site).

I'll probably start posting more VF matches on my page, especially when FS drops. I've got 2 so far, but I know I can upload more this weekend.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 07:08:18 AM »
Lack of spectator mode is fine IMO, this is a game where some delay could really fuck off lots of things, I think that in this game is more than other cases

Waifu Material

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 07:18:10 AM »
IIRC VF5 for 360 had an great netcode, so I don't think we should worry about the netcode.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2011, 07:46:42 AM »
Yep, but for a game like VF5, you still require something REALLY good to work properly. at least I recall that for version C was fine

I would prefer to see some replay channel with the option to upload videos to some server and then download them

btw

2011-8-10_19_20_TAKA-ARASHI_vs_PAI_ID_H300_FRM_ESC.wmv

Those hype videos which appear before a match on some videos, I has never understood, those appear on the game? are customizable? I had never understood this well

Virtua Fighter anime season1 eng dub opening

And now that the game will finally arrive, I strongly believe that the VF community should focus on spamming emails to sega demanding the return of the squirrel as a prop for sarah or pai chan in their costumes
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:50:33 AM by sibarraz »

Waifu Material

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
I liked VF4E so much, that I would say it is best 3D fighter ever. When I buy PS3, Final Showdown is so going to be in my collection.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
@sibarraz - Those promo vids that play before the match can very well be customized from the background, to the character specific animation desired. You have to pick 3 animations, but they can be the same. They always play before a match and can be seem on the actual machine itself.

As far as the netcode goes, its great, but there are still some latency issues that change the game slightly. For instance, Lau has a flip kick move 9+K which is -15 on block that for some that doesn't mean much, but once you understand the game, -15 on block means a free grab (P+G which for many is 12f), for Akira it can mean a free double palm (ws46+P or 11_3346+P which is 13f and does a ton of damage), or for some it can mean a free launcher to a combo/oki. Online though, sometimes that move can come out safe at times, depending on the lag. There are a few chars who have some lag tactics, but many times if you know what to punish it with, you can still be able to pull it off more times than most.

VF5FS matches will be streamed today during PAX from 6PM - 8PM PST. Here's the link for those interested:

http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner

Some cats from the VFDC community are trying to show up to participate and put on a good show, while learning more of the games mechanics first hand.

That VF anime wasn't bad. I have the whole thing somewhere in my house. That squirrel was funny imo. I did like that intro though. I'm thinking about turning part of that into an avatar.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2011, 04:20:45 PM »
Thanks Jinxhand, this lead me to a new question though

Where do you realise all the customisation? From the customes to the intros? You do it on the same arcade machine? There are special  machines on the arcades? The virtua Fighter Page?

I guess that the system to unlock customes is like the one that appear on quest mode right? you win money and sometimes customes or orbs to unlock the items, and at the same time icons and all those things, at least I hope that we get those intros on the console game

Waifu Material

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
For instance, Lau has a flip kick move 9+K which is -15 on block that for some that doesn't mean much, but once you understand the game, -15 on block means a free grab (P+G which for many is 12f), for Akira it can mean a free double palm (ws46+P or 11_3346+P which is 13f and does a ton of damage),

I dunno what's worse, Tekken notation or Virtua Fighter notation.