Author Topic: How exactly do tournament brackets work?  (Read 3706 times)

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
How exactly do tournament brackets work?
« on: February 23, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »
I get how they work until after the winners and losers brackets are done with. Why is it that the winner of losers gets to face the winner of the winners side for the Grand Final?

Also, how is seeding determined?

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: How exactly do tournament brackets work?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »
I get how they work until after the winners and losers brackets are done with. Why is it that the winner of losers gets to face the winner of the winners side for the Grand Final?

Also, how is seeding determined?

The winner of the Loser's Bracket gets to play the winner of the Winner's Bracket because it's a double elimination tournament.

Let's say it's 2 out of 3 games to win a match.  If you lose 2 out of 3, then you'll be sent to the Losers.  If you lose another 2 out of 3, you're eliminated completely from the tourney.  However, if you win all the Loser's matches, you'll be sent back to the Winner's and you'll have to beat the Winner's Finalist twice, because he or she has never been eliminated (and of course if he or she beats you once you're eliminated and come second).

Seeding, as far as I know (and I could be wrong about this), usually is to prevent top players from playing each other early on to keep the tournament exciting.   The way we did it in AI is we kept the 4 top players from the last tourney and split them in separate pools/legs, that way the last 8 matches are guaranteed to be remotely exciting.