Author Topic: The King of Fighters 98/UM General Discussion Thread  (Read 67007 times)

krazykone123

The King of Fighters 98/UM General Discussion Thread
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:10:46 AM »
Wiki(s)
*info coming soon*

Main website
http://www.snkplaymore.com.hk/KOF98UM/index.html

Video thread
http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=53.0

Any specific gameplay related tips, questions, riff raff, etc will go here

as for the title yes it will cover both games instead of just the first one
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:36:58 AM by Emil_kof »

Judge Fudge

• Rising Dragon
  • Judiciously Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters 98/UM General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »
I like to mess around with Rugal from time to time for fun.  He wasn't all that powerful in OG 98, but how about in UM?  What buffs/nerfs (ha) did he receive in UM, and is he any stronger than he was in OG?

krazykone123

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
I like to mess around with Rugal from time to time for fun.  He wasn't all that powerful in OG 98, but how about in UM?  What buffs/nerfs (ha) did he receive in UM, and is he any stronger than he was in OG?

His far B and far C can be canceled now, the first hit of his f+B command can be canceled as well, and a lot of his special attacks are significantly faster now

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
In OG 98 when I played in arcades, I remember there being angry and happy faces next to the characters when selecting your order. What did those mean exactly? I never gave them much attention but always did wonder what their purposes were.

Dingo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »
From what I understand, the faces impact a few things. Those with a happier face are more likely to jump out of the back-ground to help you if you get caught in multi-hitting grabs, combos, etc. It also affects super meter from round to round. If a character gets knocked out and the next character in line had a happy face, I think they may gain a meter stock or something along those lines. The feature was removed in 98 UM, though.

Like I said though, I'm not 100% positive on that; if I am wrong on some aspect please feel free to correct me.

krazykone123

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:26:04 PM »
From what I understand, the faces impact a few things. Those with a happier face are more likely to jump out of the back-ground to help you if you get caught in multi-hitting grabs, combos, etc. It also affects super meter from round to round. If a character gets knocked out and the next character in line had a happy face, I think they may gain a meter stock or something along those lines. The feature was removed in 98 UM, though.

Like I said though, I'm not 100% positive on that; if I am wrong on some aspect please feel free to correct me.

Nah, you summed it up pretty well

Emil_kof

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 11:03:11 PM »
Quote from: krazykone123
His far B and far C can be canceled now, the first hit of his f+B command can be canceled as well, and a lot of his special attacks are significantly faster now

His f+B was always cancellable on the first hit.

Quote from: Dingo

No. If the character that got knocked out had a happy face/angry face, then the next one gets extra meter/one less meter. This is why there seems to be no impact, meter-wise, if you put the angry characters last.

Dingo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 11:26:03 PM »
No. If the character that got knocked out had a happy face/angry face, then the next one gets extra meter/one less meter. This is why there seems to be no impact, meter-wise, if you put the angry characters last.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew it affected meter, just had it backwards.

Judge Fudge

• Rising Dragon
  • Judiciously Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 12:32:53 AM »
Ah, the face system.  Confused the hell out of me as a kid.  I used to think it meant whether a character was good, evil, or neutral until I figured out it affected meter.  Why was is scrapped in UM?

Remxi

• Strongest Tiger
  • Mithan's Robe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 02:18:41 AM »
It was scrapped because it kinda forced you to pick certain orders for teams which weren't in your best interest. Also it was kinda stupid if the team you wanted to use was all sadface. Yamazaki I think is basically always sadface?

As for Rugal 98 -> 98UM, startup of hcb,f+A was massively reduced, and his qcfx2+K stomp DM was also sped up. IIRC far s.C is faster now as well. He is stronger in 98UM but everyone else got buffed too.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:20:45 AM by Remxi »

Judge Fudge

• Rising Dragon
  • Judiciously Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 04:14:42 AM »
Yeah, I think Rugal was always a sad face as well.  I definitely remember that he never jumped in to help you.  Speaking of Rugal, I played him for the first time in UM today and tested out all the buffs you guys listed.  He's definitely more fun to play than he used to be. 

Dr.Faust

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 11:30:59 PM »
How come there is no one online playing kof98. At least not on XBL
KOF Teams
Beni,Leona,???

Remxi

• Strongest Tiger
  • Mithan's Robe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
The netcode is broken.

Judge Fudge

• Rising Dragon
  • Judiciously Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 12:35:33 AM »
That and most people prefer to play OG 98 on GGPO.  Better netcode, more users, and better competition.

Dr.Faust

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 01:02:39 AM »
Well my stick dosen't work on pc so thats out of the qustion. also why has the netcode not been fixed
KOF Teams
Beni,Leona,???