Author Topic: The King of Fighters 98/UM General Discussion Thread  (Read 67004 times)

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters 98/UM General Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2014, 07:53:58 AM »
I've enjoyed fe a bit but as i suck at 98 and decent connections haven't been readily available i just see potential, i get little out of it. Further more, the games i do get are weighed down by the controls feeling unresponsive and here is the thing with that; I have to set my TE stick to the LS setting wich i remember from sf4 being horribly unresponsive. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't in 98 um fe, but it certainly feels unresponsive and this annoys me. I've tried my hori fighting edge and it doesn't even work and simple deduction tells me that it must be because you can't switch from the mode sticks should be used in to the LS/RS modes that are available on madcatz sticks. Wich finally leads to this; The game doesn't seem to have PROPER arcade stick support.

Even if they just leave this port as it is now i could atleast enjoy it every once in a while, but i think i'd rather play regular 98 on ggpo and get my ass handed to me by chinese players and atleast feel like i'm in control while i lose.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »
I had stick issues with my Qanba Eightarc at first too, surprisingly had to set it to 360 instead of PS3/PC (why wasn't PC standard enough?).

Still getting used to this version (not just FE, but '98 in-general); coming back to it wasn't as easy as I expected. So many moves and strategies forgotten, but a good reminder that each KOF isn't the same game.

Also, looks like they've got an open beta going now.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/222420/discussions/0/626329820792416671/

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:16:19 AM by solidshark »
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
I started up the game last night and for the first time my TE worked as it should in the game. I seem to have to do run up command grabs slower than i want to but i'll probably get a feel for it and in time learn to speed up those inputs for this game.

Coffeeling

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »
I had stick issues with my Qanba Eightarc at first too, surprisingly had to set it to 360 instead of PS3/PC (why wasn't PC standard enough?).

It's probably best to do that anyway, as far as I know the newer Qanba chipsets are a good bit less laggy in 360 mode than on PS3 mode (at least on console, compared to the fastest PCBs available). The old failure-prone editions are very fast on both systems so it shouldn't make much of a difference on those.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »
Don't forget '98 UM FE is on sale for half off this week on Steam and until March 10th.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Grokbu

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2015, 01:15:28 PM »
Hey guys. I have a question about 98UM (that I guess carry over to 02UM as well).

It's about the buttons. If I for example do 2A and quickly go to neutral, I'll get a 5A. And when I use show inputs, it looks like I hit the A button while pressing down. And vice versa, if I do a 5A and quickly press 2, I get a 2A. Is there some sort system which does the normal depending on which direction I am holding on the second(?) frame or something, or is it some sort of buffer?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:17:07 PM by Grokbu »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »
Hey guys. I have a question about 98UM (that I guess carry over to 02UM as well).

It's about the buttons. If I for example do 2A and quickly go to neutral, I'll get a 5A. And when I use show inputs, it looks like I hit the A button while pressing down. And vice versa, if I do a 5A and quickly press 2, I get a 2A. Is there some sort system which does the normal depending on which direction I am holding on the second(?) frame or something, or is it some sort of buffer?

Sup, Grokbu.

Yeah, KOF uses a buffer system for its normal attacks. I know for KOF13 it's 4 frames for normals, not sure if it's the same for KOF98UMFE.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Grokbu

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2015, 11:51:57 PM »

Sup, Grokbu.

Yeah, KOF uses a buffer system for its normal attacks. I know for KOF13 it's 4 frames for normals, not sure if it's the same for KOF98UMFE.

Ah, alright! Thanks a lot for the help! :)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »
Hey guys I'm currently thinking about our KOF98UMFE wiki here on Dream Cancel. I really don't want the wiki to stay bare, so I'm thinking of either just deleting it & directing people to the 98UM wiki on SRK. If you don't agree to me deleting it, I need people to help me write simple basic content for it. Speak now or forever hold your peace. If you want to help I'll grant you access to the wiki (if you have posted here before).

erythrocytes64

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2015, 02:34:13 PM »
Recently I've been practicing playing Kyo in OG KoF '98, and I just can't seem to get the hang of following up his hop B with his cl.C. I think it might be because he attacks with his knee, and the hitbox is located a little below his body. As a result it connects earlier than, say, Benimaru's hop C, which I can follow up more consistently. Most of the time I press the button too early and nothing comes out. With crouching opponents it's easier though.

Any tips on how to get better at this? Or is KoF '98 simply less forgiving than 2002 in terms of following up jump-ins?

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
Recently I've been practicing playing Kyo in OG KoF '98, and I just can't seem to get the hang of following up his hop B with his cl.C. I think it might be because he attacks with his knee, and the hitbox is located a little below his body. As a result it connects earlier than, say, Benimaru's hop C, which I can follow up more consistently. Most of the time I press the button too early and nothing comes out. With crouching opponents it's easier though.

Any tips on how to get better at this? Or is KoF '98 simply less forgiving than 2002 in terms of following up jump-ins?

Keep practicing. Keep in mind that light jump normals have less hit stun than heavy jump normals, so be sure to keep that in mind, and dont give up. I can't really say much to help you deal with it faster, but if you believe you can do it consistently and keep practicing it, you will eventually.

erythrocytes64

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2015, 03:10:29 AM »

Keep practicing. Keep in mind that light jump normals have less hit stun than heavy jump normals, so be sure to keep that in mind, and dont give up. I can't really say much to help you deal with it faster, but if you believe you can do it consistently and keep practicing it, you will eventually.

Wait a minute… It says right here http://dreamcancel.com/2011/10/31/hitstun-and-blockstun-miniguide/:

"Jumping light attack: 11 frames hitstun, 9 frames blockstun
Jumping heavy attack: 11 frames hitstun, 17 frames blockstun"

I see this everywhere, so I assume they really have the same hit stun but different blockstun.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2015, 06:16:29 AM »

Wait a minute… It says right here http://dreamcancel.com/2011/10/31/hitstun-and-blockstun-miniguide/:

"Jumping light attack: 11 frames hitstun, 9 frames blockstun
Jumping heavy attack: 11 frames hitstun, 17 frames blockstun"

I see this everywhere, so I assume they really have the same hit stun but different blockstun.

I was mistaken. I knew it was either hitstun or blockstun that both heavy and light attacks shared I forgot exactly. But still, keep practicing those jump-in attacks into stand normals. Good luck. :)

erythrocytes64

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2016, 01:53:19 PM »
I haven't been playing for very long against live players, but yesterday I had a Kyo vs Kyo match in OG 98. So this thing happens: the opponent knocks me down and does qcf+A (Aragami aka "body ga") on my wakeup. I'm pretty confident my light DP would beat it with autoguard. Instead, I get countered, my attack doesn't even hit him. The spacing is pretty close too, so he connects the followups too. I feel dumb but it's my wakeup again, and the same thing happens: he does Aragami, I do a light DP and get countered! I feel like a total noob.

So, in short: the opponent simply does rekkas on my wakeup, and my reversal light DP doesn't do anything.

I know Kyo's light DP does have a full-body hurtbox on the autoguard frame. But I still don't get it… Why doesn't autoguard catch him? Does he somehow hit my hurtbox too? It's almost like I'm trying to DP a projectile.

GeeseHowardGuy

• New Challenger
  • I've been a Geese fan since playing Fatal Fury 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2016, 10:35:36 PM »
I remember going to Gamestop at a local mall just to pick up this game (original I was looking for KOF XI so I could finish the game). Me and my buddies usually play KOF 98' but KOF 98' UM for me was really the best one!

It wasn't just because Geese was there, it was because we had more characters to select and just a few to unlock. Don't even get me started on Edit Mode.
I can't believe Nightmare Geese is available via DLC!