Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547754 times)

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1515 on: March 03, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »
Blame SNKp for that. If ppl like AI weren't there organizing some tournaments to keep the hype alive the game would have been dead long time ago.

Yes, I blame SNKP for that. But KOF comunity should be open its mind. Is not only about tournaments. Looks like some kofers who play in arcades don't have interest in the game, they prefer play to 2002UM and that's very bad for KOF's future. I'm not saying they stop playing 2002UM, but if SNKP sees that 2002UM is still more played and popular than XIII, then what they read is "people don't want new things, they want the old ones. We are not going to relief KOF, let's face it".

SFIV was a reset too. Less characters, more basic gameplay, less moves... But people supported and get hyped since day 1. Why not with KOFXIII? why all this no interest? Because of SNKP, I know it. People don't belive anymore in SNKP, and I could understand it. But this attitude is only bad for KOF future and its players.

I have to agree with you, however. We should be thankful to AI guys, an some sites like DC, Orochinagi, or the new one Maxmode.net, to support the game better than SNKP.

I would like to think that console version is going to help on this situation. If there is any console version...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:30:01 PM by Shiranui_ninja »
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

asociale

• Strongest Tiger
  • China, Shenzhen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: March 03, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
honestely i dont even blame snk, but just the players emselves... i mean what the fuck?! 97,98,2k2....what a boring trend... 13 has lots of stuff and it s more interesting than 2k2/um in my opinion...gamesystem wise ,13 has so many tools, so many moves, drive and hd cancels.. there is no excuses not to play 13 instead of 2k2/um .... but it seems kofers (at least here in Shenzhen) just play those damn 3 game over and over! So i cannot blame snk....kofers wake up!
For ex. today i went to play some coins on the 13 machines (the one in kkmall)。fuck no competition at all...again CPU and training...the players were just awful...and i m nt a pro for sure but ..danm with just one char i won everytime... i ll try the other arcade one of these days, maybe i will have better luck (that for sure)...
SNK why the hell everytime you do something regarding the "online" experience is pure 屎!?!

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:58 PM »
honestely i dont even blame snk, but just the players emselves... i mean what the fuck?! 97,98,2k2....what a boring trend... 13 has lots of stuff and it s more interesting than 2k2/um in my opinion...gamesystem wise ,13 has so many tools, so many moves, drive and hd cancels.. there is no excuses not to play 13 instead of 2k2/um .... but it seems kofers (at least here in Shenzhen) just play those damn 3 game over and over! So i cannot blame snk....kofers wake up!
For ex. today i went to play some coins on the 13 machines (the one in kkmall)。fuck no competition at all...again CPU and training...the players were just awful...and i m nt a pro for sure but ..danm with just one char i won everytime... i ll try the other arcade one of these days, maybe i will have better luck (that for sure)...

From a U.S. perspective, that's a little surprising to hear. Maybe there need to be some transition guides made up to go from other fighters (SF, 97, 98 02), if that's what they're afaid of. I'd ask you to let us have one of those machines over here, but I don't know which arcades will still be alive when it comes.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: March 03, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »

From a U.S. perspective, that's a little surprising to hear. Maybe there need to be some transition guides made up to go from other fighters (SF, 97, 98 02), if that's what they're afaid of. I'd ask you to let us have one of those machines over here, but I don't know which arcades will still be alive when it comes.

The "oldies" has always been the most popular ones, '98(UM) and '02(UM) everywhere that has lot of kof players (Mexico HK, Taiwan, China etc...), '97 is a little random but I remember it being immensely popular in HK back in the days.

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: March 03, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »

The "Dream Matches" has always been the most popular ones, '98(UM) and '02(UM) everywhere that has lot of kof players (Mexico HK, Taiwan, China etc...), '97 is a little random but I remember it being immensely popular in HK back in the days.

Fixed it for ya :D
It is a shame that their online on xbla sucks otherwise ppl would play those 2 for a long time. There are so many characters to learn and HD combos are a nice challenge.

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: March 04, 2011, 05:30:11 AM »
kof 2002 um for me runs smooth as a sport car, the netcode is on par with other fighting games, there far from perfect, when you have a good match you know the connection is good, and when it starts to lag you know its shit, I felt like i wasted 10 dollars on this game, yeah i enjoy the single player experience but i want to go against other people online  that aint going to happen if its that barren
honestly people dont give a shit anymore

KBlackNoah

• Scion of Flame
  • I am not arrogant, I just have high standards.
    • View Profile
    • Black Noah
« Reply #1521 on: March 04, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
I can understand that it's not easy to develop and release a fighting game with all this competition especially from capcom (not that competition is bad) but... stop asking to support playmore by buying those old titles.Playmore ruined all it's credibility with XII - if they want support they must deliver a good product and have at least a minimal contact with the community.I really liked how the MK team presented the game in that series called MKcast or something like this (search it on youtube), how they keep contact with the community and how they realized that if you want to sell your game there is no other place to promote it like the competitive fighting scene - free advertisement and unconditional support from the fans - not to mention that soon they will release a demo for PSN with 4 playable characters.That is good PR and marketing.I don't understand how we are suppose to follow blindly a company that put out games like KOF XII and Samurai Shodown Sen.I tried to give KOF XII numerous chances and find a potential at least offline but it's useless.And as a final note i am not complaining and ranting because i have nothing better to do ... i just care too much about this series and it's sad that incompetent people are in charge of the hard work of designers and programmers...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:01:32 PM by KBlackNoah »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: March 05, 2011, 02:35:07 AM »
The problem and the thing that nobody realizes is that SNKP is really screwed with money, to the point that they can't even had money to put their blogs and videos on their own servers

KOF XII development was a living hell for them, if I'm not wrong, the guys made the game, don't like it, and re did it again, I will not be surprised if they released XII because they realized that they got short on money and needed to gain money by any means necessary. Hell, they ended with doubts with their arcade publisher, so they had to go to Konami who was the publisher of XIII

All this emulator games, the lolis games, and all the others games that we had saw were almost all going to finance XII and this one ended giving the money to XIII

This was also the reason of why they cancelled all the Maximum Impact games and a RPG for the DS that never passed trough the first trailer

So at this pont, all this old games in the end of the day are the ones that will finance XIII, but in the other hand, I understand people who don't want to buy this all games, I will do it more for collection value instead of want to play with them (even though, I love psycho Soldier lol) but at the same time, don't ask for them to do lots of shit that they simple can't pull, if they want to focus on pachinkos who gave them more money, I will not blame them, in the end of the day, they are a company, not an ONG

So yeah, is still hard to know if they will release XIII or not, at this point, we don't know much about it, I still hope to see it

Waifu Material

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: March 05, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
Yes, we all talk tons of times about console version and snkp's situation. But this one thing, and other thing is why arcade players don't give a shit for xiii and play 2002UM instead.

And I'm not going to blame snkp for that.

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: March 05, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »
It doesn't surprise me that Mexico and China are not taking to XIII as well. Current information tells me its had lots of bugs and glitches, so that might be it. For tournament players, 02UM is still close to what they know so there's less room for error. The USA is more interested in flash, and I dunno how to explain why its taking off decently in Japanese arcades, but a console release is necessary with good netcode for it to work here. But I dunno, the look and style of the game is not something overly appealing to Americans really. I don't think even with strong netcode or balanced gameplay that would change things. Proper marketing could do it, but SNKP can't afford the marketing necessary to do it. Ignition cannot either (if they even wanna continue doing business with SNKP). A juggernaut company like EA would be able to market it and make it sell well for sure, but its doubtful SNKP would approach an American producer to do so, and even more doubtful they'd agree to it. Really, sad but true, hand-drawn 2D sprites are going the way of the Dodo and have been for quite some time. They're gonna need to mimic the style of SSFIV or MvC3 to really make a game succeed, and outsourcing to some company that doesn't know a thing (Guys behind Sen) isn't an answer. They also need to not worry about marketing towards current SNK tournament players or fanboys and focus on drawing in people (like what SSFIV did) and the tournament players will naturally follow along anyway if it gets enough attention. I also would rather see them revive some older IPs and not care so heavily about KoF...but thats a story for another thread.

tl;dr - SNKP put everything into something that was mostly a waste of time and should focus on a 3D game with a 2D plane, and probably use heavy marketing in the West to increase sales as well as strong netcode. Not that I won't buy whatever they come out with anyway, and I love 2D sprites more...just see them dying out. This article kinda sums up why: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/mar/04/svensson-sprite-based-fighters-extremely-difficult-sell/

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 05, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »
Bugs and glitches? Which are they? Since version 1.1, any bug or glitch hasn't been seen...

KOF is a 2D series, and keep its style for next gen was a wise decision (snkp strong point is 2D, I doubt 3D possibilities of snkp..). KOF XIII is the most beatiful fighting game of the moment, in terms of graphics, and I'm sure players apreciate this. I don't think SF4 formula could worked for KOF. It would be seen as an inferior copy of SF4 for the mainstream public and a betrayal for kof players. KOF is not mainstream, and probably it won't be it, or least have to be it by its own merits, not copying anything.

KBlackNoah

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Black Noah
« Reply #1526 on: March 05, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »
Playmore must realize that if they want to make real money with KOF they just have to simply look around.The early KOF's (and most snk games ) were in my opinion great and revolutionary games from gameplay to graphics and conformed very well with standars from that period.Today's standards are different and you either follow the standards or make something better.KOF XIII is an ok game and i appreciate the hand drawing sprites but that is just personal opinion.If they did this game instead of XII that would have been MONEY - even with bad netcode the game would have catched on and they could have patched the online eventually.Today XIII is an ok game but nothing special just for us who haven't played it and are fans of the game.Speaking of SF4 - this game was 99% developed by Dimps (formed by former SNK and Capcom employes) supervised by Capcom.Playmore doesn't have money or infrastructure to develop a 2.5 D fighting game (which is a most now if you want to make money international and appeal to both casual and fans) and i think they should consider outsourcing this to another company.KOF XIII as much as it's hard to say it is a failure for playmore and they discuss back and forth if it's worth to release this to console (i think the port is already finished just needs approval) after almost a year since it's release.99% from rumors and people i talked with don't think we will see this on console ...but there is still a tiny hope.Also the feedback of the players who already played the game and are not overhyped by it just said it's a fun game and that's it - they prefer KOF 2002 um or 98 over XIII and i am sure playmore noticed this - that's why they release the final editions hopping to cash in but with little to no difference between them people play the regular versions - another failure once again. So personal preferences don't count and the reality speaks for itself.My only problem right now is why isn't playmore reaching for the fan sites trying to get feedback and colaborations to develop some kind of strategy for the future releases.That facebook page for XBL is a big and annoying joke like a robot posting and answers no questions about nothing.I don t expect them to answer al lthe questions but man time to time they could release a statement and try to cover at least 15% of them.PR and marketing make money - gimmiks lead to bankrupcy.Just my two cents...

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 05, 2011, 03:34:45 PM »
Today XIII is an ok game but nothing special.

Couldn't disagree more in that point. KOF XIII is a fabulouse starter point for next gen KOF. In what was so revolucionary SF4? Because it's 2.5D? Oh, incredible. Never see it before! The biggest revolution in the world... I think you forgot that SF4 is back step compared to Third Strike. And BB? What has BB revolucioned? Nothing. SF4 is just a reborn of the series for this next gen and people get hyped just and exclusivly for this fact. And BB is just a decent "next gen" game, that offers what others games offered in the past with a good online.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 05, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
I think we can see a lot of the problems SNKP faces with its fans in this thread. Change things up too much and they will just stick to the older games that they already know. Don't change it up enough and they'll stick with the older games. It's really a catch 22. I've always felt that KOF XII was the SFIV version of KOF. XII was stripped it down to its essentials; they added in a few new ideas and simplified the game for newer players. Since it wasn't a direct descendant of the 98/02 school of thought, this didn't please the fans. That's why XIII is so similar to 2002. I've played XIII for a few hours and prefer the flow of it over 2002/UM.

On a side note: ON is reporting that the home console version of XIII is in the works and that SNKP is taking its time to polish the game properly. Their source is Hokuto Youssef, who has connections to SNKP staff. I'm not posting this on the homepage as it's nothing more than rumor at this point, but this does lend itself to some positive thoughts. Here's the link: http://orochinagi.com/2011/03/kof-xiii-delayed-good
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:44:04 PM by nilcam »

KBlackNoah

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Black Noah
« Reply #1529 on: March 05, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »
Today XIII is an ok game but nothing special.

Couldn't disagree more in that point. KOF XIII is a fabulouse starter point for next gen KOF. In what was so revolucionary SF4? Because it's 2.5D? Oh, incredible. Never see it before! The biggest revolution in the world... I think you forgot that SF4 is back step compared to Third Strike. And BB? What has BB revolucioned? Nothing. SF4 is just a reborn of the series for this next gen and people get hyped just and exclusivly for this fact. And BB is just a decent "next gen" game, that offers what others games offered in the past with a good online.

You are talking from your personal point of view.Dates and sales say a different thing.Business is about sales. I didn t say 2.5 d is a new thing but it seems it is prefered by the gamers today so it's a standard - especially for the western market (just look at how the new MK is looking).Leave the fanboy-ism asside and look at the game market today.Without sales a gaming company is nothing - no mather what 2d sprite wonders they do.I think playmore should do what makes money for them now like sega did - they dropped the hardware business and for some years they are making very good profits - so playmore should develop pachino machines, mobile games and other stuff that can produce money and they have resources for.As a gaming company they are long time unprofitable.Playmore is not here for your enjoyment it's here to make money.Almost all the old SNK staff either quit to be teachers or now work for capcom or Dimps.SNK is dead and let's just leave it that way - stop this nostalgia nonsense and just play the games and don't ask for more - especially not from playmore at least.