Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547896 times)

bubblanAB7

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
At least in KOF XIII SRKs aren't safe on block

Aion

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2010, 03:56:54 PM »
And at least they don't auto-correct.

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »
well mostly everybody's srk isn't safe on block except Ryo's   ;a version comes pretty close to it pushes you a good distance on block and recovers pretty quick even more so when it wiffs it recovers even faster 
" you fight well in the old style"

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 15, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
That's interesting, you mean there's no way to punish a blocked A SRK? Even with super or EX moves?
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »
 no I said it comes pretty close, it can be punished by a lot but for the most part its pretty hard to get a max punish that does a lot of damage and be careful on the timing of your punish because the old repeat srk trick is actually practical with him works on badly timed punish attempts
" you fight well in the old style"

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 15, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »
no I said it comes pretty close, it can be punished by a lot but for the most part its pretty hard to get a max punish that does a lot of damage and be careful on the timing of your punish because the old repeat srk trick is actually practical with him works on badly timed punish attempts

I think I fell for 1991 against your Ryo lol a couple of times. LOL:)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:03:55 PM by Kane317 »

TYRANNICAL

• Strongest Tiger
  • Beast of Prey
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 16, 2010, 04:42:00 AM »
Takuma's case, HD mode is not very usefull as his corner combo using Zanretsuken to DC Kyokugen Houken is so powerfull that it is usually enough by itself to deal massive damage.
what happens when you are not in the corner? Takuma by far has the easiest way to hit confirm into HD mode... his command grab... plus he does 70% with just 1 meter...
reversal wakeup uppercuts in sf4 are why i'm taking up KoF13 hahahhaha god i hate reversals in sf4. that game is soo frustrating sometimes, its stupid hhahaha
KOFXIII has reversal wake up command grab or grab DM... it also has fully invincible DPs... so will you hate this game too? learn to play risk vs. reward... nothing is safe...
Who told you nothing is safe?  I don't recall anyone saying crB/A is like -40 on block.  There are things that are safe if blocked and some that aren't.  Some things on whiff can get punished nasty.  There are some things you can punish if you guard cancel roll between hits. 

Risk vs reward and nothing being safe isn't the same thing.
KOF XIII:
-K'/EX Kyo/EX Iori
-K'/Andy/Kyo
-Benimaru(Duo Lon)/Robert/Takuma(Iori)

Might controls everything.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #247 on: August 16, 2010, 07:07:42 AM »
reversal wakeup uppercuts in sf4 are why i'm taking up KoF13 hahahhaha god i hate reversals in sf4. that game is soo frustrating sometimes, its stupid hhahaha

I do like the Risk/Reward balance in KoFXIII, from what I've seen, much more than SFIV.

It appears much more "traditional" than IV's odd systems of FANTASTIC reversal options on some characters, and horrific, barely useable ones on others. The lack of auto correct also is great; one habit I've always loved in other 2D games was to jump in such a way that the opponents wakeup SRK went in the opposite direction from where I jumped. SFIV totally invalidates this.

Is there anyone that lacks a decent reversal in XIII? I can't think of any mentions of characters feeling like they're needlessly missing tools , especially since there are so many useful EX moves. Chin lacks Range, and Takuma lacks a traditional DP, but they obviously make up for it in other areas, and at least have meter-dependent skills (or non-meter dependent combo abilities) that make up for the lacking parts.

In all, I just prefer KoF's approach and defense methods. Even if XIII had auto correct and SRK -> FADC -> Ultra, I'd still feel like the opponent "deserves" the damage he landed on me more, than they do in SF, since I have so many more options on wakeup.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2010, 08:18:07 AM »

I do like the Risk/Reward balance in KoFXIII, from what I've seen, much more than SFIV.

It appears much more "traditional" than IV's odd systems of FANTASTIC reversal options on some characters, and horrific, barely useable ones on others. The lack of auto correct also is great; one habit I've always loved in other 2D games was to jump in such a way that the opponents wakeup SRK went in the opposite direction from where I jumped. SFIV totally invalidates this.

Is there anyone that lacks a decent reversal in XIII? I can't think of any mentions of characters feeling like they're needlessly missing tools , especially since there are so many useful EX moves. Chin lacks Range, and Takuma lacks a traditional DP, but they obviously make up for it in other areas, and at least have meter-dependent skills (or non-meter dependent combo abilities) that make up for the lacking parts.

In all, I just prefer KoF's approach and defense methods. Even if XIII had auto correct and SRK -> FADC -> Ultra, I'd still feel like the opponent "deserves" the damage he landed on me more, than they do in SF, since I have so many more options on wakeup.

Chin still lacks a good anti-air if they are above you.  Sure he has one hell of a Ex counter move, but it doesn't stop the empty hoppers/jumpers.  In fact, Shen has the same problem except his d.C is decent but slow to come out.  His qcf+K is not useful for anti-air unless it's used somewhat preemptively.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this has not been posted before; I found out something new in XIII.

Roll canceling - Any character can cancel out of a roll (at least a forward one) by activating HD.  It acts like canceling into HD from a normal and will for the most part do a s.C (just like d.B, d.B, d.BC does a s.C) but I'll have to test it some more.  Alternatively, you can try performing a special with BC, like K' can do roll cancel into dp+BC, great for juggling.  In fact, for now at least, I think the implications of roll canceling are only for juggling  (except the rare 'surprise' move).

Testing it with Chin is somewhat interesting:  If you perform qcb+BC by itself, from a idle stance, he'll execute qcb B+HD (his counter walk).   If you do roll --> roll cancel qcb+BC he'll do qcb C+HD, which is infinitely more useful than his counter walk.   EDIT2: Hmm now that I think about it counter walk+HD isn't so bad afterall, I'll probably continue this discussion in Chin's thread though.

EDIT3: "Phoenix" over in the IRC channel brought up a good potential usage that'll we'll have to test out:  Roll canceling after GuardCancel Rolls.  Now I can see how a HD-s.C would be useful now.  Crazy if this works out.

EDIT4: Ok so the GCAB does not work. Also after testing, you can only roll cancel if you dash roll.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:45:01 AM by Kane317 »

phoenix

« Reply #249 on: August 17, 2010, 05:07:33 AM »
Wouldn't it be a good idea to actually start a new thread on roll canceling?
Seems like something kind of important/specific to the KOFXIII engine.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 17, 2010, 07:44:12 AM »

It is, but I think we need to explore it a bit more before we'll know if it warrants a new thread.  So far, it's not as versatile as expected but as time progresses we'll see (Furthermore, not enough ppl have exposure to XIII to test out the limitations of roll cancellation).  Welcome to DC Phoenix. =) 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:51:08 AM by Kane317 »

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 17, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
We need to separated the general discussion and the technical discussion IMO.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

krazykone123

« Reply #252 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »

Couldn't hurt

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 17, 2010, 11:07:50 PM »

Done.

Take all systems, technical, or gameplay discussions here.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2010, 07:28:29 AM »
May be a dumb question but I thought I'd just throw it out there. Can meaties interrupt moves on wakeup? I'd assume it's like 3rd Strike in that meaties interrupt things like SRK on wakeup, but they can't interrupt EX moves.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.