Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 548216 times)

Nikolai VolKOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #630 on: October 09, 2010, 02:17:42 AM »
Lol at people who request bugs

Phoenixazure

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 09, 2010, 03:29:01 AM »
Fixing bugs for the sake of fixing bugs is dumb.

Thank god ur not in the games industry (or you are, which explains why so many games ship with bugs lately)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 09, 2010, 03:46:41 AM »

Thank god ur not in the games industry (or you are, which explains why so many games ship with bugs lately)

That's hilarious, I LOL'd IRL.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:50:57 AM by Kane317 »

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 09, 2010, 05:54:28 AM »

Do you work for ACTIVISION?

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #634 on: October 09, 2010, 06:20:46 AM »
Valid point.  What if hard-earned money wasn't on the line, at least not hundreds or thousands, what if it was just a quarter, would you still need this everything goes mentality among friends in a casual match

A quarter is still money and it's still something to fight for in my opinion. It sucked having to go back and forth making change in the arcade, especially in places (like Japan) where it can be more expensive I heard. For me, inside the game, when the game announcer says "FIGHT" you aren't my friend anymore, you are my enemy, friend and competitor and I will try my best to defeat you. When the match is over, you are my friend and comrade again, lol.

Now, don't get me wrong there are matches and times where I play strictly to just try out new techniques and combos especially if it's a character I'm just fooling with or trying to learn so I may not play my 100%, or even if I'm playing against someone I can tell is new to the game, I'll take a little easy but beyond those times, it's do or die.

Having respect for your opponent is much appreciated especially in casuals cause if someone is always trying to do everything to win, then the atmosphere becomes MUCH more hostile and it can really kill the mood for a lot of players.

I agree and understand what you mean. I've played matches with people or against certain people where the air just felt really thick and tense and it did take the fun and jovial spirit out of the game. When the characters in the game look more happy than the people playing it, then there is a problem, hahaha.

BUT at the same time, it's gonna happen because fighting games to me is will always be a socially centered type game which will bring forth all kinds of different personalities to the table. Some people hate losing, some people don't give a fuck, some people are socially inpet, some aren't, some are disrespectful, loud, weird etc. so you gotta be ready for anything.

The really tense and thick matches were probably the ones that helped me out the most as player because I've done things in those kind of matches that I can't even replicate when playing really laid back and casually with some folks.

Um...I can't really say too much about KOFXIII because I haven't play it so, my apologies if I'm veering off topic.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

fujifujifujifuji

• New Challenger
  • Kiru!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 09, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »
Man, winning just for the sake of winning by abusing bugs is lame. All of these fights are just a battle against oneself, theoretically if you can act fast, move (the stick) fast, respond fast (or just fast enough) and make no mistake, you'll win all the time. But then winning is nothing if you or your opponents aren't having fun, this is the whole point of a game really. So take it easy man, or at least play it fair.
Dude, Relax!

krazykone123

« Reply #636 on: October 09, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
A lot of the time you play to win, if the top tiers are your best characters you had to pick them. If you play in a tournament you need to use the ones which will earn you the spot to win.

Yeah that's the point but it's not just at tournaments it could be at casuals too, the same rules apply, playing to win doesn't revolve around just using top tiers either, it could be

- Using your best characters (yes your best characters, whether they're low/mid/high or top tier)
- Using bugs/glitches/infinities
- Learning match-ups/Counter-picking
- Studying frame data
- Practicing combos or hit confirming

it's all about optimizing your chances of winning

Man, winning just for the sake of winning by abusing bugs is lame.

Sure it seems lame but when you're in a competitive environment you don't really have a choice, you either adapt or lose

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:11:56 PM by krazykone123 »

TYRANNICAL

• Strongest Tiger
  • Beast of Prey
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 09, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »
Man, winning just for the sake of winning by abusing bugs is lame. All of these fights are just a battle against oneself, theoretically if you can act fast, move (the stick) fast, respond fast (or just fast enough) and make no mistake, you'll win all the time. But then winning is nothing if you or your opponents aren't having fun, this is the whole point of a game really. So take it easy man, or at least play it fair.
Winning is fun.  Also since the objective IS to win, why should I care if my opponent isn't having a good time? 
KOF XIII:
-K'/EX Kyo/EX Iori
-K'/Andy/Kyo
-Benimaru(Duo Lon)/Robert/Takuma(Iori)

Might controls everything.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 09, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »
Winning is fun.  Also since the objective IS to win, why should I care if my opponent isn't having a good time? 

Maybe coz we're trying to grow a scene, not deter people away from it.

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 09, 2010, 12:38:35 PM »
don't be offended when i say, "just play the game." people are going to play according to their own ideology no matter what anyone says, and as honorable as some might play, it doesn't guarantee people will enjoy playing with you. tier whore all you want i suppose, just be friendly about it and be open to talk to other players. make them feel welcome and give them tips. otherwise you're just shutting them out and shutting them down. that's the real problem about the scene: too many people walk away from the machine without saying a word.

note: i lose all the time so maybe i'm not an expert on these kinda things lol

Shiranui_ninja

« Reply #640 on: October 09, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »
I don't play arcades. I play console games online, SSFIV and soul calibur. And you see people selecting the top tier/broken/cheapest character of the game just to win. They low down a lot the quality of the game and sometimes is really pathethic what people do just to win. But I have arrived to the conclusion that playing fighting video games is just a way to feel good. Some people feel good mastering their characters and using/discovering all game's tools (and winning in this way, of course), others feel good just winning, and when more broken, more difficult to defeat, more overpowered is his character more they like to play. The fact is that a lot of this people won't play a fighting game if they don't have a character like this, what means they won't play a game if it's really well balanced. This is why fighting games are so unbalanced very often.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 01:37:17 PM by Shiranui_ninja »

krazykone123

« Reply #641 on: October 09, 2010, 02:36:59 PM »

Seriously, winning is fun, busting your ass to get good at something you like then have it pay off should be all the motivation you'll ever need to want to win

Maybe coz we're trying to grow a scene, not deter people away from it.

There are better ways to grow a scene than holding someone's hand along the way, this isn't a kindergarten with a bunch little whiny kids running around (granted some of them act like it), most these people are around ages 17-25+ so I'm sure they'll be fine if you're upfront with them

Kane, me, Desmond, Zabel, and Hatred aren't saying you should berate these new people and call them scrubs, what we're saying is if you're trying to get more people to play KOF (in America at least) you should do it the old fashioned way... teach them, beat them in matches, point out their flaws/mistakes, tell them to use training mode to practice, look up some character guides for reference, watch some videos for visual aid, seriously everything they'll ever need is there

tell them to take their losses in stride (make it a learning experience) then the game will start being fun regardless of winning and losing

I don't play arcades. I play console games online, SSFIV and soul calibur.

I don't go to arcades either, and I play games online frequently as well (same with Hatred)

And you see people selecting the top tier/broken/cheapest character of the game just to win. They low down a lot the quality of the game and sometimes is really pathethic what people do just to win.

It seems pathetic because you don't genuinely understand it, you got a ways to go friend
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:39:57 PM by krazykone123 »

Shiranui_ninja

« Reply #642 on: October 09, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
It seems pathetic because you don't genuinely understand it, you got a ways to go friend

Sorry, my english is so bad, I know it :P  What I was trying to say is that they use any trick to win, I mean they don't win because they are good they win because their character has a dirty trick which opponents can not defend or some don't know how to respond it. And they use this trick again and again. What it's call abusive. But I understand them, they feel good winning, and they don't care a shit about if they like this character, if they are good players, if the game or that character is unfair, they win, it's all what they want. I don't play in this way, but now I understand this kind of players. They to want feel good, like everybody does. So the only thing I do is try to win them and blame the game's company because is not well balanced, but I blame them no longer anymore.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #643 on: October 09, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »

Sorry, my english is so bad, I know it :P  What I was trying to say is that they use any trick to win, I mean they don't win because they are good they win because their character has a dirty trick which opponents can not defend or some don't know how to respond it. And they use this trick again and again. What it's call abusive. But I understand them, they feel good winning, and they don't care a shit about if they like this character, if they are good players, if the game or that character is unfair, they win, it's all what they want. I don't play in this way, but now I understand this kind of players. They to want feel good, like everybody does. So the only thing I do is try to win them and blame the game's company because is not well balanced, but I blame them no longer anymore.

I'm sorta under the impression that you don't play fighters competitively like some of us do, so I'll cut you some slack.

As far as players abusing dirty tricks, who is to say the a move or a tactic is "dirty"? Maybe it is just really good and give the player more options? Also, it is up to the opponent to try to find a way around that trick or use it to their own advantage. There is always a way around something.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 09, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
I don't mind that much the dirty tricks

Half of the time the guys which use them are total noobs who became very predictable, and almost the other half are way better than me so I don't mind it either

Honestly, the only thing that I hate are Infinites, but other than that, I don't care that much for top tier whoring, more when people who criticizes them has never played the game or never tried to know how to fight against those tricks, and this goes for pro and noob players

We also had to consider that since KOF is a 3 vs 3 game, chances to see the same character are VERY high, if SF was a 3 vs 3 game, chances of seeing the same characters will be as high as in KOF

Waifu Material