Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547957 times)

Rukawa

• Rising Dragon
  • Kaede
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #990 on: November 21, 2010, 04:45:56 AM »
KOFXIII will be at NorCal Regionals 8. So if any of you live in the NorCal area, get $10 (NCR registration fee) and come on down.

http://www.snk-capcom.com/?p=4026

*facepalm*

I just realized I decided to move out of cali in the worst time possible

bzerk

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 21, 2010, 07:49:38 AM »
So question? Is it that there is not enough match-up knowledge against K' and raiden, or is there just that much of a big gap between their tools and
the rest of the cast

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 21, 2010, 09:25:52 AM »
KOFXIII will be at NorCal Regionals 8. So if any of you live in the NorCal area, get $10 (NCR registration fee) and come on down.

http://www.snk-capcom.com/?p=4026

*facepalm*

I just realized I decided to move out of cali in the worst time possible

We were offered for it to be streamed, but they said we could only host the last game of the grand finals, not the whole set. Since that was the case we opted not to spend the time to interrupt the stream and move all the equipment over for just 1 game. I apologize for the misinformation above, however there's some video footage taken that will be uploaded later. Nothing too crazy, but it was nonetheless fun as hell.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:58:50 PM by Ash »

Kaori Manabe

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 21, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »
Was there at NCR, had a really fun time playing 13

Can't wait to play it again tomorrow

Kusanagi-Style

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 21, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »

Oh nice! Welcome to Dreamcancel.com
KOF XIII: Iori/King/Yuri

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 21, 2010, 04:16:17 PM »

How was it received by the ppl there?

Juicebox mentioned it a couple of times trying to start a conversation while he was commentating on the stream, saying how good it looked and how he was definitely going to play it, but Mike Ross kinda ignored it both times.

And, from what I understood, no one showed up for the BlazBlue tournament.

Xenosagafan87

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 22, 2010, 08:20:05 AM »
My only hope is that this game has A great netcode. that is what killed 12 for a lot of people. Other then that i wish Vanessa, Angel, and Shermie were in the game but if they don't make it it won't bother me

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 22, 2010, 08:36:32 AM »
My only hope is that this game has A great netcode. that is what killed 12 for a lot of people. Other then that i wish Vanessa, Angel, and Shermie were in the game but if they don't make it it won't bother me
shermie wont make it cause shes dead wait til 14 which should be the dream match of this arc

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »

Too bad they didn't have it "tomorrow".  Welcome to DC, make sure you introduce yourself here as well.  I think I remember playing your friend Jesse, is that correct?  Or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

How was it received by the ppl there?

Juicebox mentioned it a couple of times trying to start a conversation while he was commentating on the stream, saying how good it looked and how he was definitely going to play it, but Mike Ross kinda ignored it both times.

And, from what I understood, no one showed up for the BlazBlue tournament.

NCR for XIII was overall a better turnout than SCR.  When we got there there were at least 30+ ppl surround the beauty 46 LCD screen, we noted that we had, if not the biggest, one of the bigger screens in the room.  The "tourney" was a 32 player cut off, with 44 ppl that signed up. Unfortunately, over half the people didn't know it was double elimination and left for whatever reason after losing/playing (I'm talking about maybe 10+ didn't return after playing their first match).  The three of us that represented AI spotted about 2-3 players that kinda knew how to play but disappointingly they left after even winning their first match.  So all in all, it was kinda of a pseudo tourney IMO which explained why we opted not to stream as it wouldn't be entertaining anyways.  

Nevertheless, Ash and I had stone-paper-scissored to see who used the 8 gate joystick (the other was the usual 4 gate) and I lost so I got the 8 gate and Ash sent me to the loser's final (we stopped the tournament afterwards so we could open up the 8 gate and replace it with a 4 gate--it was that bad and in hindsight we should have done it in the first place). Super props to metaphysics for putting on an awesome display (IMO his best gaming as of yet) taking me out to third place, took Ash 2-2 on the finals, and Ash took the last match to be the winner (I did get my revenge on them both afterwards with "Vengeful Chin" muhaha)!  

The TRUE reward of it all, was a huge turnout and interested players (including other pro-gamers) and the increase appreciation of XIII -- can't wait to see what the scene looks like in the coming months.

BIG BIG thanks to Giby and Vinh from www.Arcadeshock.com and SNK for putting up yet another kickass event and some awesome prizes (much better than SCR's heh); we all got Hori joysticks among other goodies.  Sorry for the brief write up, long weeked with LOTS of driving.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:35:51 AM by Kane317 »

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 22, 2010, 10:50:06 AM »
hori raps 3's? damn, now you got me jealous.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Phoenixazure

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 22, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »
Great to hear that interest in the game has been getting a little bigger after these past tourneys. Good show guys. Maybe u guys should try and keep in touch with Juicebox. I don't know if he's a Cali resident but just hearing him break down everything in street fighter on commentary was a real joy, and I would love to hear him get his impressions and possibly break down KOF to something more digestable for the rest of the general audience. I do know the guy runs a podcast where he breaks stuff down in SSFIV. Hell a KOF centric podcast series would be awesome but thats just me wishlisting at this rate. Still, major props. Any big future tourneys coming up soon? Only ones that come to mind is Final Round and thats East Coast...

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 22, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »
Great to hear that interest in the game has been getting a little bigger after these past tourneys. Good show guys. Maybe u guys should try and keep in touch with Juicebox. I don't know if he's a Cali resident but just hearing him break down everything in street fighter on commentary was a real joy, and I would love to hear him get his impressions and possibly break down KOF to something more digestable for the rest of the general audience. I do know the guy runs a podcast where he breaks stuff down in SSFIV. Hell a KOF centric podcast series would be awesome but thats just me wishlisting at this rate. Still, major props. Any big future tourneys coming up soon? Only ones that come to mind is Final Round and thats East Coast...

Word is there's going to be a major SNK event quite a few months from now (approx. '11 Halloween) where it's going to be ONLY SNK games similar to So/NorCalRegionals, that's what the SNK liaison (Trieu) told us.  Other than that, I think we'll host one last tourney at AI before it supposedly shuts down in December (*sob*).

Shiranui_ninja

« Reply #1002 on: November 22, 2010, 01:48:15 PM »
I think KOF XIII is a great game that could really creat interest between fighting games players, but the main problem is KOFXIII needs to be released in consoles with a good port. Arcade version difficults that KOFXIII participates in events and doesn't help to popularize the game throuhg fighting games players.

To introduce KOF into pro scene the first step was redo KOF. This is done. Now the next step is a good console version. The next step should be KOFXIII publisher promoting the game into events and tourneys and the final step is up to KOF community, supporting and playing the game on these events.

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 22, 2010, 02:45:45 PM »
Word is there's going to be a major SNK event quite a few months from now (approx. '11 Halloween) where it's going to be ONLY SNK games similar to So/NorCalRegionals, that's what the SNK liaison (Trieu) told us.  Other than that, I think we'll host one last tourney at AI before it supposedly shuts down in December (*sob*).

That is incredibly tragic. Is it confirmed? Any dates?

I'm going to be in LA for Christmas and New Years. I'd like to make it out there at least once, assuming it's still open.

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #1004 on: November 22, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »
The game did really well up at NCR. NorCal seems to have a good chunk of SNK players, but they don't seem to get together. I tried to urge a few of them to set up meets, get together and the like, but I don't know what's going to happen there. I know I met a few of you guys there, I just forgot most of the handles I was given :/

Everything went better than I expected. A couple of the things that made it better were location, event hall size and presentation. We had a prime spot, right in front of the entrance, so when people enter, it was directly to their right. The event hall wasn't as large as SCR, but seemed to have around the same number of people. The overall presentation was better than SCR. I personally like the arcade set up we had at SCR better, but these days, people feel more comfortable with sticks in their laps. 46in LED HDTV  to make the game look even better some Bose speakers.

The tournament went well. The only downside is that some of the people who lost just left and never returned not paying attention to me saying it was double elim, but I guess it worked out well in the end, except for that one hairy idiot who could only mash C with Ralf :(

Big names who showed interest in the game (that I remember): KBeast, FilthieRich, JuiceBox Abel (entered the tourney, but was busy with the official tourney). Others watched, but didn't play. Everyone who watched it like/loved it. Those who played it loved it.

Hopefully we can do more things like this at other events. I would like to take the game to areas that don't have the game since I feel it would get more attention there, but it's all up to SNKP.