Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 548111 times)

GearaDoga

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1080 on: November 29, 2010, 03:57:40 AM »
Yeah, I got SSFIV players in my area.  But last I checked they laughed when I asked if they played KOF. 

There is literally no KOF life in Florida. But there is a lan center where we go to play BB and SSF4(Zero Ping). Most likely the guys there will start a XIII scene when its released on console.

I much as I hope XIII's eventual console release will spark some kind of interest, I have my doubts. Capcom brand loyalty is so firmly established in this area that everyone I know who plays fighters either sticks to SSFIV or BB.  Its a bit depressing that the nearest arcade closest to me (Final Round) doesn't even have any SNK fighters to speak of.   

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: November 29, 2010, 05:30:49 AM »
Yeah, I got SSFIV players in my area.  But last I checked they laughed when I asked if they played KOF.  
because they aren't used to thinking like kof... sf4 players can't handle not turtling... and north-americans think of kof as a game full of glitches and infinites... or simply they do not know about it... they don't know that kof has the best 2D system...

looking at the ratio system... i agree with section 4,3... i would only move Maxima to 2... and Athena, Ryo, Vice to 1... and move the limit to 6...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 29, 2010, 06:19:17 AM »
Its about a 12min drive to ZP from my house. I think since you don't stay to far from ZP i would have no trouble reaching you to get some matches in if you want.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:26:28 AM by Shinra Shiranui »
KOF XIII: EX Kyo,Mai,Saiki

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #1083 on: November 30, 2010, 01:23:37 AM »
It's nice to have some local competition but it's disheartening when most SSFIV players won't even bother to try out other games.

What I've realized is that SSFIV players usually think of KOFXII when they hear KOF. They probably tried the game out and were really disappointed with it but they don't bother to think of 98, 2002, XI, etc.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: November 30, 2010, 02:09:44 AM »
It's nice to have some local competition but it's disheartening when most SSFIV players won't even bother to try out other games.

What I've realized is that SSFIV players usually think of KOFXII when they hear KOF. They probably tried the game out and were really disappointed with it but they don't bother to think of 98, 2002, XI, etc.
seems to me that most fanboys just associate the worst game in the series(some might say XII in this case) with the game as a whole

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: November 30, 2010, 06:02:13 AM »
If SSF4 players only think of KOF12 when they think of SNK and how bad it was, I would find that odd. Considering the game had a very SSF4 feel to it, why would they hate it? Or maybe they are those kinds of players who jump on bandwagons very easily.

And quite frankly, for all the crap KOF12 got, I found it to be a game that had very little matchup problems. I felt it was a pretty damn good balanced game but it just wasn't a true KOF.

Violent Ryo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: November 30, 2010, 06:37:37 AM »

Here's a few example of matchups that were were seen.

Clark-Robert-Shen vs Ralf-Clark-Yuri
Athena-King-Kula vs Duolon-Ryo-Ash
Mai-Athena-Kula vs Duolon-Clark-Kim
Kim-Ryo-Yuri vs Ash-Clark-Yuri
Yuri-Leona-Vice vs Clark-Raiden-Ryo
Athena-Vice-Yuri vs Hwa-Iori-Vice
Mai-Athena-Kula vs Kim-Kyo-Chin
Ryo-Kyo-Maxima vs King-Robert-Leona
Robert-Shen-Clark vs Clark-Vice-Shen
Clark-Ralf-Yuri vs Vice-Kyo-Maxima
Joe-Ryo-Shen vs Duolon-Clark-Kim
K-Ryo-Vice vs Terry-Ryo-Iori
Kensou-King-Ash vs Athena-Ash-Benimaru

Nice nice variety....really liking Ratio tournaments, matches...would love to see these matches also.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: November 30, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »
If SSF4 players only think of KOF12 when they think of SNK and how bad it was, I would find that odd. Considering the game had a very SSF4 feel to it, why would they hate it? Or maybe they are those kinds of players who jump on bandwagons very easily.

And quite frankly, for all the crap KOF12 got, I found it to be a game that had very little matchup problems. I felt it was a pretty damn good balanced game but it just wasn't a true KOF.
im guessing most of those people were band wagoners well at least the few ive talked to

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: November 30, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
Yeah, I got SSFIV players in my area.  But last I checked they laughed when I asked if they played KOF. 

I've gotten that same response for years. They stopped laughing once a few guys who knew how to play the game started playing it, then they declared it too hard/weird because they kept asking "Where's the uppercut/fireball/spin kick?" and I didn't answer them because all I wanted to do was swear at them. This was years ago.

As bad as 12 was considered, a lot of people around me found it playable; several parts of the game like comboing they thought was much better than SFIV, but they also heard online that older KoF fans were bashing it because it wasn't what they were expecting at all. I was/maybe still the only guy that likes 12 in my area. It's great to hear so many people are looking forward to 13 now, even players who's only fighter is Super. Hopefully no one will start to laugh at the idea of playing KoF ever again. Of course, since one group of people once laughed when I asked them if they every played any of the Street Fighter III games, I've gotta wonder who the joke is really on.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

ZombiesAteDiana

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 03, 2010, 04:00:07 AM »

Here's a few example of matchups that were were seen.

Clark-Robert-Shen vs Ralf-Clark-Yuri
Athena-King-Kula vs Duolon-Ryo-Ash
Mai-Athena-Kula vs Duolon-Clark-Kim
Kim-Ryo-Yuri vs Ash-Clark-Yuri
Yuri-Leona-Vice vs Clark-Raiden-Ryo
Athena-Vice-Yuri vs Hwa-Iori-Vice
Mai-Athena-Kula vs Kim-Kyo-Chin
Ryo-Kyo-Maxima vs King-Robert-Leona
Robert-Shen-Clark vs Clark-Vice-Shen
Clark-Ralf-Yuri vs Vice-Kyo-Maxima
Joe-Ryo-Shen vs Duolon-Clark-Kim
K-Ryo-Vice vs Terry-Ryo-Iori
Kensou-King-Ash vs Athena-Ash-Benimaru

Nice nice variety....really liking Ratio tournaments, matches...would love to see these matches also.

Awesome my team already fits the ratio system. Kyo, Terry, Mai.

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 06, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »
I checked the latest issue (January) of Arcadia today, and was very pleased to see that KOF XIII continues to do well. Actually, it looks to be doing pretty great.

It's currently ranked five among fighting games. The top two games are Gundum games (should those even count? :P), followed by Tekken 6 (number 3) and Blazblue (number 4).

What stood out to me though is that KOF XIII's "points" seemed much closer to Blazblue than to the next lowest game (Arcana Hearts 3 at number six). This means that, since release, XIII has been consistently attracting more players. Really great news for SNK, and KOF fans everywhere. Now they need the console version to be an international success!

2002UM was number 7, as I recall.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 06, 2010, 02:40:34 PM »
Awesome news considering that 2 months ago, everybody was saying how after SBO, the game will die and that raiden killed the game (even dune of all people)

Waifu Material

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:09 PM »
I had serious doubts but really glad to hear that SNK is still relevant there, this can mean only greener pastures for us. Surprised how close you say it is to Blazblue though, didn't expect it to top Guilty Gear.

SSF4AE releases this month, lets see if it can make a dent in XIII's armor. Was SF4 popular there?

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 07, 2010, 12:22:51 AM »
Dayyyuumnn, 2 Gundam games on the top? anyways is good to have XIII in the top 5 and close to BB.
Lets see how the scene goes with SSF IV AE and BBCS2 around the corner.

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 07, 2010, 01:19:19 AM »
The Gundam VS series has been extremely popular for awhile now, not surprising that they're still holding the top.