Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 547666 times)

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1275 on: January 10, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »
I think that option is from the fact that Arcade cabinets have a built in input lag that developers have to take into account (98UM didn't which is why it felt weird) that may be mitigated with replacing the monitor/inputs, hence the option possibly? May not be totally true but i remembered reading sometime back that the Arcade Cabinets have inherent lag that devs have to make up for on their side when making for the system and that 98um didn't account for that. That option may have something to do with

it depends on the setup, since you can put the board in any cab provided it has the specs and a compatible OS. that said, if the cab uses an HD monitor, it will have some form of lag but that will still vary. in those cases, input lag options will have a variable scale (i.e. setting 1-5 or something like that) dependent on the response time of the monitor itself. the option the professor mentioned is simply "on" or "off", which leads me to believe it's probably something a little different. i wonder if it's an option that will be included on the console release.

switching topics, i feel like general hype is starting to die out for XIII since SNKP is so hush hush. the arcade exclusivity is hurting people who really want to play it. instead, fighting gamers are going to be consumed by the fighting games coming out in the next few months and with other big announcements from other franchises, i fear that KOF will be overshadowed. there hasn't been much press coverage for a while and hopefully there are upcoming hints sometime soon to keep the general populace aware and interested.

Yeah, I actually share this tought a few pages back. The hype is not dying out, is dead let's stop fooling our selves here. Also not to complaint on SNKP but if they would have atleast announced a release date for console it would have helped it's chances of making it to the official EVO lineup so all this hush, hush shit is thing of the past and it only hurts the game instead of helping. Look at mvc3 they slowly hyped people for about a year giving them little teases here and there and now everybody is nut about getting the game. Did anybody else notice that marvel3 it's the first game ever at EVO that has not been released for any console and has not had a minor or major tournament and made it to the official EVO lineup?

Well I'll be playing Arcana Heart 3 until SNKP decides to release KOF XIII, anybody care to join me?
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 10, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
in the US, your right. who knows if theres tournaments in korea or china or japan with kof 13 now? i doubt youll see many mvc3 tournaments, if any over there. shit just depends on your setting.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Gramas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 10, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
I think that option is from the fact that Arcade cabinets have a built in input lag that developers have to take into account (98UM didn't which is why it felt weird) that may be mitigated with replacing the monitor/inputs, hence the option possibly? May not be totally true but i remembered reading sometime back that the Arcade Cabinets have inherent lag that devs have to make up for on their side when making for the system and that 98um didn't account for that. That option may have something to do with

it depends on the setup, since you can put the board in any cab provided it has the specs and a compatible OS. that said, if the cab uses an HD monitor, it will have some form of lag but that will still vary. in those cases, input lag options will have a variable scale (i.e. setting 1-5 or something like that) dependent on the response time of the monitor itself. the option the professor mentioned is simply "on" or "off", which leads me to believe it's probably something a little different. i wonder if it's an option that will be included on the console release.

switching topics, i feel like general hype is starting to die out for XIII since SNKP is so hush hush. the arcade exclusivity is hurting people who really want to play it. instead, fighting gamers are going to be consumed by the fighting games coming out in the next few months and with other big announcements from other franchises, i fear that KOF will be overshadowed. there hasn't been much press coverage for a while and hopefully there are upcoming hints sometime soon to keep the general populace aware and interested.

Yeah, I actually share this tought a few pages back. The hype is not dying out, is dead let's stop fooling our selves here. Also not to complaint on SNKP but if they would have atleast announced a release date for console it would have helped it's chances of making it to the official EVO lineup so all this hush, hush shit is thing of the past and it only hurts the game instead of helping. Look at mvc3 they slowly hyped people for about a year giving them little teases here and there and now everybody is nut about getting the game. Did anybody else notice that marvel3 it's the first game ever at EVO that has not been released for any console and has not had a minor or major tournament and made it to the official EVO lineup?

Well I'll be playing Arcana Heart 3 until SNKP decides to release KOF XIII, anybody care to join me?
I agree,snkp give us something

Also I think kof XIII will do as bad as XII if they release it in the last quarter of the year

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »

I agree,snkp give us something

Also I think kof XIII will do as bad as XII if they release it in the last quarter of the year

My feelings have changed due to SNKP not knowing how to market and sale a game, I really hope that once XIII flopps Capcom picks up XIII. For some reason I'm starting to believe that SNKP is holding KOF from becoming one of the best if not the best fighting game in the world.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Gramas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: January 10, 2011, 07:32:33 PM »
yes...I mean its realy that hard to make just a stupid trailer and say "coming this spring/summer" something like that

I mean the game is fucking great

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 10, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »
isnt the game making money where it should be making money?
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

JT_Chill

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 10, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »
I believe the interest in KOF XIII is there.  A release date or release needs to be set before the beginning of the next tournament season.  This will help build interest from none SNKP fans and give the fans where there are no arcades, time to practice the game before major tournaments begin. If they are working on extra content, that could be left for DLC. But, if they are working on the internet experience, I pray that they are trying to get it right. But, all in all, taking too much time will eventually hurt them. But, I will support SNKP to the end.

(Also before tournament season, they need to tone down Raiden Drop Kick, from the videos way too powerful. That will cause people not to play. That move is too dominating. I think, this is where the Deadlock feature needed to implemented.)

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 10, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »
The outlook wouldn't look so bleak if we had some people pulling some headway around here, I'm quite sick of people saying "Nobody cares about KOF in America" but sadly this fanbase has proven that statement to be true all too true... we just don't want to move forward, we're always regressing, always arguing amongst ourselves, never wanting to do any work, too busy, too lazy, people always mad discouraged complaining over fickle crap like "Man people just don't want to play KOF with me ;_;" than just being happy with what they have, always waiting for SNKP to make a move before they do, people drawing lines in the sand and stuff, we go around constantly comparing KOF to other games juxtaposed like it's in some kind of competition, and then there's all the lame drama that comes with it, man can yall ever just shut up and move forward, can we forget the negative stigma SNKP developed for KOF and just move along? I know a lot of people are busy and may be discouraged but honestly I think a lot of them are just blowing smoke out their ass at this point in time. Stop making excuses because nobody wants to hear them, keep your complaints to yourself because nobody cares, if you're busy just do what you can, if you play XIII share all the information you have, stop leaving everyone else in the dark because we can't wait for SNKP to fix that, enough receding and more progressing.

couldn't tell if this was personally directed at me or not. like i said, just voicing my opinions. this is, in fact, a board/forum: where people share their opinions. i didn't post what i did to butt heads. either way, in essence, you're just complaining about people complaining; that never goes anywhere.

isnt the game making money where it should be making money?

what? in asia? i think focusing on the arcade market is not really viable these days. gaming has opened up to all generations of people who don't have time cause of school, work, or life. the longevity of games these days has better chances on system releases. especially for fighting games, online components are becoming more and more important in keeping communities alive. i understand that a good portion of the KOF fanbase may live in areas with a not so great data infrastructure, so i do see how the desire for an arcade lives on, but i don't really think that's the reason for handling it the way they are. note that i've already stated how i prefer the arcade myself, but in some countries it's a thing of the past, really.

to be honest, SNKP is making money probably off of pachinko, skystage, mobile games, or re-releases. like krazy mentioned before, i don't think SNKP will go under just because XIII doesn't do well. the game itself made a bit of money when SNKP sold cabs to owners, that's about it. cabs don't make money for dev companies directly after being sold; that goes to cab owners. unless, of course, SNKP decided to build more cabs (which i have no idea) to sell. even their patched harddrives were free, i believe (minus shipping). that's extra dev cost for pre-existing, pre-sold cabs. no real money to be made there. i don't logically see how people believe that XIII is making money at this stage, at least not for SNKP. whenever you put a coin into a XIII cab, for most intents and purposes, it doesn't turn the production wheels. before someone hastily chalks this up to me "just complaining", it's not. it's looking at the situation and where the game stands and where it has been standing for about the past 6 months.

also, i wouldn't know since i don't go to central/southamerican/european boards, but does anyone know the distribution demographics for XIII cabs? i'm curious to how the game is doing overall around the world.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 10, 2011, 10:47:40 PM »
I think KOF will never reach it's full potential until is picked up by another company like Capcom or Aksys.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:42:09 AM by Kane317 »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 11, 2011, 12:53:14 AM »
I think SNKP should release XIII as it is on the cabinets with good netcode and go full force on the next King of fighters for consoles. Think of a good new story, try to design new characters to attract newcomers and even change the name of the game to The King of fighters Alpha and the go Beta gamma etc etc. There are people who really care about the story in a game so if they are gonna go full force on XIII they should do animated intros (introducing character's past and their relevance to the current plot) . mid-scenes and endings. Give to their character's more depth.

MvC will do well in the US not only because of fighting gamers and Capcom but because Marvel's characters have a strong background. Do an animated movie SNKp explaining to newcomers the hatred between Kyo and Iori, some scenes with AOF team having some family moments, explain Terry's past with Geese billy and Rock etc etc etc.

I know that you guys (including me) see XIII as one of the best fighting games because we have lived this game from scratch, we saw it evolving and we can all tell that XIII is one of the best KOFs up to date but today gamers are demanding. They need a game that has depth in the story, amazing graphics and great netplay. That's why I believe SNKp should release XIII as it is on the arcades ( with some balancing) only with a great netcode. Make some money from XIII and go full force on the next one.

Just my idea (SOrry for my bad english)

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 11, 2011, 01:01:10 AM »
I think KOF will never reach it's full potential until it has the money of another company like Capcom or Aksys.

Fixed.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 11, 2011, 01:03:01 AM »
How do I tell if the options is frame input is on or off? For eg, 1.1 can be seen after you put in the token.

Any kind soul mind shedding some light to me?

Nobody seems to know :(

---
The Professor's clarification on the INPUT situation.

To elaborate a bit more on the previously mentioned input timeframes, technically, it's not really meant to be a setting that increases input time although that turns out to be the result. It's more of a byproduct for a setting that deals with issues on the Vewlix, the Taito Type X family's official arcade cabinet. For anyone interested, here's an explanation.

Taito currently offers three products in its Vewlix lineup, two of which is mainstream.
Red Cabinet (Vewlix F)- The standard cabinet. Costs around 500,000 yen per unit.
Blue Cabinet (Vewlix L)- The cheap cabinet. Costs around 320,000 yen per unit.

The Blue cabinet is affordable for arcade operators, but hardcore players tend to despise it. One of the reasons behind the huge price difference is that it uses a cheaper LCD about 2 frames slower on average.

For KOF13, SNKP coped with the latency differences between the two Vewlix cabinets by providing an option that purposely adds two frames of latency into the game (apparently just input latency) so that playing on the red cabinet would feel about the same response speed as on the blue cabinet. It should be on as the default shipment setting.

When the option is turned off, the simulatated latency gets cut off. But the thing is, the input timeframe shortens as well. So for instance, a command that has a window of 4 frames would shorten to 2 frames.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:34:13 AM by Kane317 »

JT_Chill

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 11, 2011, 01:18:28 AM »
I think KOF will never reach it's full potential until it has the money of another company like Capcom or Aksys.

Fixed.

What I think SNKP really needs is a publisher for this game. A publisher that is not afraid to put the game out next to their stuff and is not scared to help with the promotion of the game. I think that would be Aksys.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 11, 2011, 01:36:51 AM »

Fixed.

What I think SNKP really needs is a publisher for this game. A publisher that is not afraid to put the game out next to their stuff and is not scared to help with the promotion of the game. I think that would be Aksys.

Yeah, I know that SNKP could be lots of times really incompetent, but lots of their came from the lack of money that they suffer

If a semi decent publisher decides to put the game here, they will do fine, although I can't see aksys publishing it

Waifu Material

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 11, 2011, 02:05:30 AM »
Atlus would be a better choice. Atlus did a really good job promoting the GBA KOFs and are used to more niche titles than most publishers. They also have a lot of followers who will at least consider any game Atlus publishes and they recently worked with SNKP.

Xseed would be another good choice though not as good as Atlus.