Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 548201 times)

ELTRO

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1425 on: February 02, 2011, 12:32:42 AM »
Haven't tried KOF 13 yet and wont till I go to NYC during the break. I watched plenty of Japanese matches and the AI matches up on Youtube and nico douga. Besides 2 characters the game doesn't look broken compared to other fighters. Also although ssf4 is balanced the game is incredibly boring to play. Since I live in Albany I have no choice but to play it constantly. I really want the console port for it already and hopefully convince some of my friend to play it competitively.
Main team: K, Kyo, Iori(claw)
Secondary team: Ash, Robert, Shen
Third team: Ryo, EX Kyo, EX Iori (my 98 team)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 02, 2011, 01:47:11 AM »
Haven't tried KOF 13 yet and wont till I go to NYC during the break. I watched plenty of Japanese matches and the AI matches up on Youtube and nico douga. Besides 2 characters the game doesn't look broken compared to other fighters. Also although ssf4 is balanced the game is incredibly boring to play. Since I live in Albany I have no choice but to play it constantly. I really want the console port for it already and hopefully convince some of my friend to play it competitively.

Can't wait to hear your opinion of XIII when you play it, btw, welcome to DC and don't forget to introduce yourself.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 06, 2011, 06:54:23 AM »
Finally went today to try out KOF13 and gotta say, the game is amazing. Although I was having a hard time getting used to the controls since I only use american buttons and sticks and only the default ABCD layout was the only option. And to be honest, this was the first time I ever tried playing a game with japanese parts and I gotta give props to the people who use those pieces. Those things are super sensitive compared to the parts in my Mas Stick.

Maybe it's just me but 13 seems to have better animation compared to 12. Is it because the camera does not zoom in anymore? Or is it just me? oh well, game was really amazing.

also, I had a feeling I was pissing off some players with my style of play.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:57:04 AM by Cibernetico »

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 06, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »
at cybernetico, if a game has the same level of animation but displayed at a faster speed it becomes more fluid. 12 animation was great, but the same animation at a higher speed will make it look even better animated, shit, even sf2hf looks better animated than the same sf2's that run at a lower speed.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:22:09 AM by Kane317 »
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 07, 2011, 05:47:38 AM »

Did you say Japanese sticks are better then American?

Absolutely.  Technically, only mods can suggest to perma-banned peeps =) j/k

Finally went today to try out KOF13 and gotta say, the game is amazing. Although I was having a hard time getting used to the controls since I only use american buttons and sticks and only the default ABCD layout was the only option. And to be honest, this was the first time I ever tried playing a game with japanese parts and I gotta give props to the people who use those pieces. Those things are super sensitive compared to the parts in my Mas Stick.

It's all about finesse my friend ;)  You'll see the light one day.  I use to ('96-'02) got back to HK every half a year, and when I came back I kept telling people how much better the Japanese sticks were...eventually converted some friends and today most ppl (SF players included) uses it too.

Haha, who did/do you use?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:22:51 PM by Kane317 »

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: February 07, 2011, 07:25:01 AM »

It's all about finesse my friend ;)  You'll see the light one day.  I use to ('96-'02) got back to HK every half a year, and when I came back I kept telling people how much better the Japanese sticks were...eventually converted some friends and today most ppl (SF players included) uses it too.

Did you say Japanese sticks are better then American?

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 07, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »

It's all about finesse my friend ;)  You'll see the light one day.  I use to ('96-'02) got back to HK every half a year, and when I came back I kept telling people how much better the Japanese sticks were...eventually converted some friends and today most ppl (SF players included) uses it too.

I don't know. I was in there for close to three hours and I still couldn't get used to the buttons being so sensitive. I was throwing out attacks when I wasn't even fully pressing the buttons which is my main gripe with them. And don't get me started on the stick. The thing is too short and it feels like it is encased in a square. since this is the only way I can play 13, I'm going to have to get used to it but screw that when it comes out on consoles.

But like I said, kudos and props to whoever can use those buttons. I was in there for 3 hours and was not comfortable using them. But it's an acquired taste on which setups players prefer and I'm sure I'm in the overwhelming minority when it comes to playing with American parts vs. Japanese parts. Although I will say I like the way the buttons feel so smooth but I'm not in love with their positions though.

I was mainly using Ryo, Ralf and Hwa the entire night. I say I may have been annoying people cause I'm not big on combos but I'm more of a poke and run player.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 07, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »
I don't know. I was in there for close to three hours and I still couldn't get used to the buttons being so sensitive. I was throwing out attacks when I wasn't even fully pressing the buttons which is my main gripe with them. And don't get me started on the stick. The thing is too short and it feels like it is encased in a square. since this is the only way I can play 13, I'm going to have to get used to it but screw that when it comes out on consoles.

Sounds like it may just be just THAT joysticks  The sensitivity of the button should be determined what time of parts it is.  Heck, the stick is really the main difference (buttons are whatever as long as they work).  It probably IS encased in a square; 4-gates are the most popular setups in HK as I'm assuming it is like in Japan (HK just gets whatever Japanese arcades offer) and it's been like this for decades (AI's owner is also from HK).

I was mainly using Ryo, Ralf and Hwa the entire night. I say I may have been annoying people cause I'm not big on combos but I'm more of a poke and run player.

Try Mai then, she might suit your style.  Mai isn't very similar to her older versions so you might find her refreshing.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 07, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »
It's hard for some people to get used to JP sticks, I know that the Cali-Mexicans would rather play on american sticks and I know that they would play even better. They are really happy that Japan Arcade has XIII with american sticks.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 07, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »
japanese sticks are WAY better than american sticks imo. i can play on both, but the american one's can't even compare to be honest. it's like comparing sf or ng pads to a 360 pad. sure there are people who might prefer the 360 one's, but the difference is huge imo.

ELTRO

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 07, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
Japanese stick is more comfortable to me. American stick and buttons are uncomfortable. Tried using it when my friend only had an american stick. Wasn't able to block or do anything. I can't imagine playing KOF on it. I think I wouldn't be able to do anything let alone short hop.

Also I heard the ratio system has changed. If this was discussed in the previous pages I apology. But I would like to know how it was changed.
Main team: K, Kyo, Iori(claw)
Secondary team: Ash, Robert, Shen
Third team: Ryo, EX Kyo, EX Iori (my 98 team)

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 07, 2011, 11:08:38 PM »
meh, after a while I just decided that is hard to determine which stick is better, it all depends to which one are you used to play

I use a happ one, and hate the seimitsu, but I know that boths are really good

Waifu Material

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 07, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
Japanese stick is more comfortable to me. American stick and buttons are uncomfortable. Tried using it when my friend only had an american stick. Wasn't able to block or do anything. I can't imagine playing KOF on it. I think I wouldn't be able to do anything let alone short hop.

All the hops and hyper hops would drive you nuts, I remember the days back in Southern California Golfland...ugh...American joysticks.  Since then everyone has converted, Mr Kof, Duc, RJ, basically everyone plays Japanese.  Only the Cali-Mexicans haven't quite converted.

Also I heard the ratio system has changed. If this was discussed in the previous pages I apology. But I would like to know how it was changed.

Remember, ratios system are relative to individual arcades only.  So, the current ratio system for Shinjuku's Carnival is:

Max 6 points
4- K' Raiden
3- Andy Shen Kyo Iori Kula Elisabeth Takuma
2- Leona Ash Benimaru Yuri Kim Duolon Chin
1- Goro Terry Kensou Mature Maxima Joe Robert King Hwa Ralf Mai Athena Clark Ryo Vice
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:21:20 PM by Kane317 »

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 08, 2011, 01:37:21 AM »
oogosho must be happy that ralph is low tier, lol. even with other ratios both maxima and ralph are bottom tier (damn, if thats low tier) so he can pretty much use any combination.