Author Topic: Garou: Mark of the Wolves Thread - Everything you need to know  (Read 91498 times)

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Garou: Mark of the Wolves Thread - Everything you need to know
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 01:05:33 PM »
I do see that while Freeman has moves that look good, they're not as strong as they seem vs many of the characters, and his trade-offs aren't good either... Does he happen to take the most damage out of all the other characters, or does that type of "health" tier listing even exist???

Well it just depends really on the trade offs. Yea certain characters have way better options off trades but Freeman can still hold down the cast. You just have to play smart and look at how the oppnent is using their character really. There is a list like that but I don't have it off the top of my head atm. I know it goes something like Rock, Hotaru, Jenet, Hoku, Freeman then so on. Tizoc and Grant have the strongest I know that. I'll have to check the mook and see if they have a list on that then add it to the first post.

We should post on facebook to make upgrades of the netcode for garou and 98

It would be nice but at this point I don't see it happening even if we bothered SNK about it. I would rather they concentrate on good netcode for kofXIII and so on.

would you mind sharing the mook?
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 01:44:10 PM »
You mean scanning it? That would take a while to do. Not to mention it's all in Japanese.
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JaimeDL = Garou MOTW Videos

http://www.twitch.tv/jaimedl = Garou MOTW streaming from time to time.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 02:42:29 PM »
if you got the time i wouldnt mind dl it. i luv mooks and artbooks. does it have sprite works and artwaorks in it, along with conceptual designs and such (ending, intro and all that). that is if its not too much trouble and you got the time, i wouldnt mind it, that is if you dont mind.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 08:34:47 PM »
FF is fatal fury right?

Because I recall to download at least 5 patches, even though I bought the game one and a half year later than his original release

Waifu Material

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 10:10:13 PM »
if you got the time i wouldnt mind dl it. i luv mooks and artbooks. does it have sprite works and artwaorks in it, along with conceptual designs and such (ending, intro and all that). that is if its not too much trouble and you got the time, i wouldnt mind it, that is if you dont mind.

Yea it has all that stuff. It also shows what Grant looks like under his mask. My scanner isn't the greatest scanner either. I might have to use my cell phone or a digital camera to speed it up.

FF is fatal fury right?

Because I recall to download at least 5 patches, even though I bought the game one and a half year later than his original release

Yes FF usually stands for Fatal Fury or sometimes Final Fight or Final Fantasy for RPG heads. Since this is a fighting game forum FF should be Fatal Fury though for the most part. There are 8 FF games total from the neogeo MVS/AES. You can always wikipedia how many FF games there are though.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:09:04 PM by Nocturnal »

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »
Yeah if we're gonna do this, we should probably get a wiki started... This site is getting quite a bit of buzz, and it would be good to have the plethora of info for this game should it decide to blow up like 3S did...

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 04:48:01 PM »

Yea it has all that stuff. It also shows what Grant looks like under his mask. My scanner isn't the greatest scanner either. I might have to use my cell phone or a digital camera to speed it up.

damn, thats some good shit right there. if you wouldnt mind id like to have it. fucking awesome.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 09:14:04 PM »
Has the tier list for this game changed at all??? I know its been out for years now, so I'm pretty sure its changed up a bit... And if it has changed, is it by region (US vs EU vs JP)???

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »
The tier list has changed slightly but for the most part top 5 is: Kevin, Jenet, Gato, Kain, Grant then everyone else is in the middle and Tizoc would be dead last because of the throw escape bug. That is all based on the characters strength/options. The reason Kain got so much higher now is because of all the new stuff that has been found in the last 4 years. Again the tier list will always change depending how much better players get really. If you know the matches up well enough the tier list wont matter much. Skills play too much of a factor. That is why in Japanaese tournament you never see the same person winning all the time. Yea there are still the top players but the results for always different. 

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »
The tier list has changed slightly but for the most part top 5 is: Kevin, Jenet, Gato, Kain, Grant then everyone else is in the middle and Tizoc would be dead last because of the throw escape bug. That is all based on the characters strength/options. The reason Kain got so much higher now is because of all the new stuff that has been found in the last 4 years. Again the tier list will always change depending how much better players get really. If you know the matches up well enough the tier list wont matter much. Skills play too much of a factor. That is why in Japanaese tournament you never see the same person winning all the time. Yea there are still the top players but the results for always different. 

Yeah I love variety, and I'm not too fond of tier lists in terms of "who's the strongest", per sé... I like seeing who's the strongest per region, but in my mind it doesn't mean that "x" character is the be-all-end-all... That's kinda how VF is, and imo Fighter's History Dynamite.

Anyway, I'm not too hip on the throw bug (ed. - saw it on youtube )...

Btw, what is this new Kain info??? I'm interested as he's a charge character I like to play as... Plus I like regular combos (I don't why though)...

Gravelneed

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »
I'm gonna have to get a PS2 stick. The feint cancels are almost impossible for me to do consistently on pad.

I wish my PS3 stick was backwards compatable.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »
Some questions for Nocturnal if he doesn't mind.

1. Garou is your main game right? How long have you been playing and are you considered the best Garou US player? If not, who is?

2. I'm sure the community is small for this game, but where is the biggest area of Garou players? At NECXI, there seemed to be a good 30 or so players from the east coast playing it. Also, besides yourself, who are the top US players and world players if you know?

3. If you could change anything about the game, what would it be?

4. Do you know if Garou is big in any latin countries?

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 10:25:14 PM »
Btw, what is this new Kain info??? I'm interested as he's a charge character I like to play as... Plus I like regular combos (I don't why though)...

It's mainly the stuff that was discovered within the 2006 to now period. Being able to not let opponents have quick roll recover when doing his ball super as they are knocked down. That really changed his game because it gives Kain the advantage in continuing his pressure. The opponent has to either JD and not miss time it. If you just block it and he's in TOP mode then it's a free guard crush for Kain. That and the ability to charge between JDs.

Some questions for Nocturnal if he doesn't mind.

1. Garou is your main game right? How long have you been playing and are you considered the best Garou US player? If not, who is?

2. I'm sure the community is small for this game, but where is the biggest area of Garou players? At NECXI, there seemed to be a good 30 or so players from the east coast playing it. Also, besides yourself, who are the top US players and world players if you know?

3. If you could change anything about the game, what would it be?

4. Do you know if Garou is big in any latin countries?

Okay I'll answer in the order:

1. I didn't really get into SNK games until 2003. I knew about the games but never decided to learn any seriously until I bumped into MOTW. If it weren't for Mame + Kaillera I would have never played it probably the way I do now. So I would say yes it's my main game but I also play other games at competitive levels. I wouldn't say I'm th best in the US. If anything I probably play it more than anyone in the US besides Giby. Though most people say I'm the best since I've won most of the offline tournaments and all. Though it doesn't really matter much when there is barely a scene for it really. I just enjoy playing it plain and simple. I'm hoping to go to Japan and play the best there to see where I stand. Win or lose I know I'll have fun playing.

2. There really isn't a set spot for it. Most of the players that do play it are spread around the US. Besides me and Giby there aren't many who touch the game in California. The exception would probably be Magician but he's been pretty busy with his new career. Also THE ANSWER played the game at one point but now he just concentrates on KOFXIII mainly. There seem to be lots of people in the EC that play it but I don't know how serious they really play it. Besides Justin, SteveH and Buktooth I dont know any other top player that even tries to play it now. I know there's a few people in Texas that play it like Omerta and a few others. I think Florida has some people also. Pretty sure NY has as few people. Michigan has a few heads too that play it. It's really hard to pin point spots where people play when there are barely any players that play it. Outside of the US there seem to be more players in general that play in France, Brazil, Korea, Mexico and of course Japan.

3. This was brought up on SRK a while back. I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on that:

-TOP mode should be tweaked slightly or just remove it from the game. They should probably just give everyone the TOP attack as an extra special move instead. All they really need to do is fix the slowdown from TOP activation and have it so the damage is equal no matter the size of the TOP bar.

-Fix the throw escape bug. It doesn't just apply to Tizoc. It's just that it hurts him more because he needs throws for damage.

-Fix the slow downs that happen in game from specials. Specials like Jenet's dive kick special cause slow down or even Kevin's TOP attack. I blame the hardware since at the time SNK was using the max potential of the Neogeo hardware. PS2/360 versions did slightly fix the slowdown issues at least.

-Breaks should probably cost meter and same for guard cancels. Though I think they are fine as they are now. I know most people wanted it more like RB2. It would help remove Kevin's corner guard crush break loop stuff. The only problem with this is that now meter building will take longer for certain characters. Some characters need their break cancel to build meter.

-Have it so when you FC (feint cancel) it creates more push back during block strings or when you combo with it.

-Remove Kevin's special cancel and Gato's stomp cancel. They wont be able to build meter as fast.

-Remove the Jenet hit stun bug.

-Remove the Rock freeze bug that happens when Freeman hits him with his  counter super. It's not really a huge deal since Rock can't be hit anyways when he's stuck. It's also a situational type of thing. Chances of it happening in a match is very small.

-Remove the 0 frame unblockable super bug.

I think those modifications would at least give certain characters better match ups in the long run.

4. Like I stated before Mexico and Brazil are the main latin countries playing it for the most part. I know Brazilians for sure play it offline too not just online.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:55:36 AM by Nocturnal »

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
Are most if not all of these glitches doable on the xbla version??? I've yet to try it out, and I'm at work right now...

Nocturnal

• Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2010, 09:16:24 PM »
Are most if not all of these glitches doable on the xbla version??? I've yet to try it out, and I'm at work right now...

Yes. All the bugs work in all the console ports (DC, PS2 and 360).