Author Topic: KoF XIII Tournament- So. Cal Alex's Arcade feat. No. 17: March 19th  (Read 9613 times)

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
Damn I almost finish writing the whole report but my computer crashed =/ Anyway here's a brief summary.

No.17 appeared as special guest from A-cho. He took a first round loss against Romance, but he got better as the tournament progressed and ended up taking 2nd. He commented that our controllers were similar to that of Japan, so he was able to play as he does there. I asked him how were the controls in Mexico because I saw the videos of him playing that Dark Geese uploaded and his skill level was much worse there. He said that wasn't able to play Duo Lon at all with those American style sticks and wasn't able to perform as he normally would. We spoke to him a lot especially over dinner on playstyles and how Japan, Mexico and the US compare, however I'll leave it up to him to either post himself since he'll be signing up or to Dark Geese to interview.

Congrats to Mr. KoF without being taken into losers!

Reynald had a really off day and also did not end up picking Raiden. He will come back with a vengeance next time. He also played a first to 7 series against No.17 and won 7-6.

B.A.L.A improved dramatically especially with picking up Vice. Very dangerous with her juggle anywhere hcf+BD.

Vids will be up soon by Kane317 as we ended up having to use his camera as a backup. The Answer and I spent several days trying to get direct feed working, but could not get it to work with 720p, only 480p. We even ended up burning out one of the parts making the machine unplayable until we got a replacement the day of the tournament. I had to drive 70 miles round trip for this =(

Thank you everyone for making this an awesome tournament. We hope to keep this going and to get direct video feeds next time!

1. John (Mr. KoF)
2. Kunio (No. 17)
3. Romance
4. Pepe
5. Reynald
5. B.A.L.A
7. Duc
7. ChrisKoF
9. Oscar
9. Abe (Metaphysics)
9. Real Kim
9. Raul
13. Ricardo
13. Miguel
13. Ivan
13. Pedro
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:08:30 PM by Ash »

Mr.KOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: KoF XIII Tournament- So. Cal Alex's Arcade feat. No. 17: March 19th
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:16:53 AM »
1. John (Mr. KoF)
2. Kunio (No. 17)
3. Romance
4. Pepe
5. Reynald
5. B.A.L.A
7. Duc
7. Oscar
7. ChrisKoF
9. Oscar
9. Abe (Metaphysics)
9. Real Kim
9. Raul
13. Ricardo
13. Miguel
13. Ivan
13. Pedro

Congrats to Romance for placing. It was definitely fun to be able to play with the cali-mexican crew again. Good stuff Kunio for not dissapointing many ppl! B.A.L.A. you've improved much since the last time we played =P  Too bad we didn't get to have more names on the list such as Kane317,4Leaf,Francisco,pizzero,yoshi, etc. Hope to see you guys again at the next tourney! Thanks to THE ANSWER for help bringing Kunio(No.17) down here and providing the housing. Hopefully i'll get to play more talented players along the way! And one last thing TEAM DEADLY DUO FTW!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:59:44 AM by Mr.KOF »

eLive.pro|Mr.KOF

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:34 AM »
Have you guys tried to split the connection going out from the Taito through the second DVI port?

In the long run, if you guys want to direct capture with that cab, I would suggest that Oscar swap out the panel that's in there with one that supports HDMI/DVI. That way you can use the main Video port, and hook it to a HDMI splitter to use for streams and any other form of direct capture.

I expected to see Reynald in top 3, seeing him lower than that is a bit of a shock, but I can;t wait to see the vids. Congrats to John for coming out on top.

Who did B.A.L.A and No. 17 use?

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »
Have you guys tried to split the connection going out from the Taito through the second DVI port?

In the long run, if you guys want to direct capture with that cab, I would suggest that Oscar swap out the panel that's in there with one that supports HDMI/DVI. That way you can use the main Video port, and hook it to a HDMI splitter to use for streams and any other form of direct capture.

I expected to see Reynald in top 3, seeing him lower than that is a bit of a shock, but I can;t wait to see the vids. Congrats to John for coming out on top.

Who did B.A.L.A and No. 17 use?

We used both DVI ports, one to panel and one to my computer, that's when the part burned out =( I heard last time we tried that, the game lagged up pretty bad. The next time we try this I'm thinking of using a DVI splitter -> HDMI & DVI where the HDMI goes to my computer and the DVI goes to the panel, then use an audio splitter.

Reynald was very off today and his matches were extremely close.

B.A.L.A used Duo Lon, Vice, Kula

No.17 used Duo Lon, Elizabeth, Shen

Dark Geese

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:43:19 PM »
Very very good to know, we will continue as planned with USA vs. Mexico 2011 and other things in the near future!!!

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
Hey guys I'm very happy with the turnout yesterday as it was a lot of work for me throughout the whole week to make it happen, first of all I want to thank Duc for all his help (and dinner :)) yesterday. Kunio displayed great level of skill and put an awesome show now that he was able to play comfortably with the stick and button setup. Also the Cali-Mexicans represent well, they are showing that them having access to the game makes a big difference, BALA put a great show almost sending John to losers and Romance taking 3rd I am very happy with their performance thank you guys for coming. Also thanks to Giby for picking up my call at the middle of the night (literally) and helping us to try and find a backup JVS converter after me and Duc fried the one that came with the cab just in case we couldn't get one near by.

I'm sure that I am not the only one surprised with the results and upsets yesterday I know that a big part of that is because we banned Raiden, I think I can say that this was the best tournament we had so far and they are only going to get better.

Kunio is not only a great player but has contacts with all the top players in Japan and they are already asking him for videos of his matches now that he used a japanese controller. The Japanese are growing curios and very, very interested of all this USA and Mexico KOF that is going on, in the last few hours Kunio has contacted Hummer and Dune, Dune and Hummer have contacted CAP and SCORE about coming to USA, however more Japanese players are showing interest and have contacted Kunio and ask if they can come too, they are EURASIA (KOF XIII SBO Finalist) and KAORU (KOF XI SBO CHAMPION), Kunio ask if enough Japanese players can come would they be able to participate in the 5v5 and I said that we would definitely accommodate them.

The second chapter of the Mexico vs USA saga has been completed, now we start the final chapter which will take us to Tijuana Mexico.

DG: Your dream of a KOF world tournament might be coming true sooner than you expected.

UPDATE: NAGI has also ask if he could come.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:05:46 PM by THE ANSWER »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Dark Geese

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:47:42 PM »
Hey guys I'm very happy with the turnout yesterday as it was a lot of work for me throughout the whole week to make it happen, first of all I want to thank Duc for all his help (and dinner :)) yesterday. Kunio displayed great level of skill and put an awesome show now that he was able to play comfortably with the stick and button setup. Also the Cali-Mexicans represent well, they are showing that them having access to the game makes a big difference, BALA put a great show almost sending John to losers and Romance taking 3rd I am very happy with their performance thank you guys for coming. Also thanks to Giby for picking up my call at the middle of the night (literally) and helping us to try and find a backup JVS converter after me and Duc fried the one that came with the cab just in case we couldn't get one near by.

I'm sure that I am not the only one surprised with the results and upsets yesterday I know that a big part of that is because we banned Raiden, I think I can say that this was the best tournament we had so far and they are only going to get better.

Kunio is not only a great player but has contacts with all the top players in Japan and they are already asking him for videos of his matches now that he used a japanese controller. The Japanese are growing curios and very, very interested of all this USA and Mexico KOF that is going on, in the last few hours Kunio has contacted Hummer and Dune, Dune and Hummer have contacted CAP and SCORE about coming to USA, however more Japanese players are showing interest and have contacted Kunio and ask if they can come too, they are EURASIA (KOF XIII SBO Finalist) and KAORU (KOF XI SBO CHAMPION), Kunio ask if enough Japanese players can come would they be able to participate in the 5v5 and I said that we would definitely accommodate them.

The second chapter of the Mexico vs USA saga has been completed, now we start the final chapter which will take us to Tijuana Mexico.

DG: Your dream of a KOF world tournament might be coming true sooner than you expected.

UPDATE: NAGI has also ask if he could come.

Great that's what I want to hear..so I will create a separate thread for discussion of this SUPER KOF13 tournament with a tentative tournament name!

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:31 AM »
It was definitely a great tourney for the few matches I got to catch, I wish I could participate but between moving this/last week and my gf's and my birthday dinner--I couldn't get out of it.

I'm glad you guys finally got the setup working, when I heard that Ken brought the wrong part I thought I somehow translated it wrongly so I felt so bad.  Special thanks to 4leaf as he helped me out with the move and hence he himself couldn't participate.

Finally, I'm glad to see Kunio in his "true form", I know some people don't think joysticks make a difference but to some ppl (and I refuse to play competitively on Americian sticks) it's night and day.

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »
I blame the Canadians for the no show.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:36:20 AM »
I blame the Canadians for the no show.

ROFL, magic 3...oh yeah /inside joke.

---
Oscar's so l33t that he came in 7th and 9th.  =)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:44:57 AM by Kane317 »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »
Can't wait to watch the vids, congrats to the winners.

Glad to see 13 getting more attention now, hopefully it will take off in the tournament scene like KOF2002UM and KOF98.

Gotta say, I chucked in delight when I read the results were affected by the lack of Raiden. Won't pull this into another tier discussion so I'll leave it at that.

Oh and can't say I'm a fan of putting the results out ahead of time like this, on the friggin front page of the site no less. Don't know about others but I find it more fun to watch a tournament not knowing who will win, espeicially in this case where the results would have been very surprising.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:51:00 PM by Diavle »

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 06:50:17 PM »
Sounds like a good idea maybe next tournament we'll record the top eight and not mention the results and just let people find out as they watch it.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

l2slythe

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:52:13 PM »
Sounds like a good idea maybe next tournament we'll record the top eight and not mention the results and just let people find out as they watch it.

lol you messed up man... shoulda recorded that epic match with me and Kunio. lol
PSN- MrGreen-AI

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »
My bad guys, I tried uploading the videos at work but it gave me an upload estimate time of 780mins lol (13 hours), so I decided to wait to upload it at home.  Turns out COX cable sucks even more than I anticipated, and after working for 1 day at my new place it died yesterday--so I'm uploading it at work again.

We did do that for one of our tournaments at AI; I guess we'll stick to that format.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:03:47 PM by Kane317 »

Nocturnal

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
  • Socal SNK Supporter
    • View Profile
    • My Art Stuff
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
Congratz to all the top placers. Sounded like a good turn out. It's too bad I work weekends. I would have came down with Giby. Glad everyone is still pushing the game even with AI now gone. Great work.
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JaimeDL = Garou MOTW Videos

http://www.twitch.tv/jaimedl = Garou MOTW streaming from time to time.