Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread  (Read 1027513 times)

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread
« Reply #1380 on: June 07, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
I have an idea for helping to hype KOF XIII's console version. (This started out brief and grew into a monster post. Apologies.)

There are probably lots of KOF fans and fighting fans who looked at XIII, thought it looked good, and forgot about it since the console version was no where in sight. Now that it's coming out, they'll be looking at the game for maybe the second time. The initial hype has warn off, and they'll just want to know "is the game good?"

So my idea would be to collect the top 10 (or 15 or 20) "best" XIII matches and do an eLive countdown with commentators explaining some of the strategies, mistakes and characters' strengths/weaknesses. Basically similar to the Cast of the Wolves Giby and Nocturne do, but a one-off, countdown style.

When mainstream websites show game footage (if they bother to), it's almost always shows people throwing fireballs endlessly. It does a terrible job of representing the game. I think this podcast could be a great way to show off high-level play, AND teach viewers a bit about the game if they're not very familiar with XIII. Depending on how well the commentary is done, it could probably teach a lot of the DC regulars more about the game.

The secret agenda of the matches would be to show:

1. There is an English speaking community that's actively playing the game. Many people who have heard of KOF also have heard that it's not very popular. Just having English speakers talk about the game could be reassuring to people interested in the game. It lets them know they'll have people to fight or ask questions to.

2. Most of the cast is completely viable. The match selection should avoid too many mirror-matches, or K' beating teams one-handed. Ideally, the matches will be somewhat close (and thus more exciting to watch).

2a. The game is not just a combo fest, nor is it a poke fest. Similar to 2, I think the matches should demonstrate that different styles of play are viable. Not every match has to feature a 100% HD combo in order to be considered high-level.

3. There're people playing this game all over the world. Of course, a lot of the matches would probably be from Japan or AI, since we have more videos from them and the video quality tends to be great. But it would be nice to also feature some matches from Singapore, China, France, et cetera.

We would never say any of these things explicitly, because I think the matches (as a whole) speak for themselves.

I realize this would be a lot of work, but really think it could do a lot to build interest in the game. Especially at other fighting websites (NeoEmpire, SRK). Does anyone else like this idea?

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 07, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »
I think is a lovely idea, but for experienced players of XIII. So, I can't help here, but you have my support on it :)
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 07, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »
Good idea Rex. I especially like how it would include showing off the more neglected characters. It may be balanced, but it doesn't look balanced if you only see 5 or 6 characters regularly.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 07, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »
Great idea!  I was going to go through game A-cho's XIII videos for the Leona thread, so I'll try to make note of any really good matches in them at the same time.
Old man/bad player

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: June 07, 2011, 11:36:33 PM »
If you plan to do that, you need HD footage. We have to show people how gorgeous the game looks in HD. IMO

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 08, 2011, 01:53:41 AM »
great idea, also some oogosho matches, kaoru, 17 vs mr kof etc would be nice.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: June 08, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »
Well, they aren't HD (only 480p ;)), but these are, in my eyes, ten of the best matches on Game A-cho's youtube:

Duo Lon/Kim/Vice vs Maxima/Yuri/Andy
Kula/Elizabeth/Kyo vs Andy/Chin/Maxima
Kensou/King/Mai vs Andy/Chin/Maxima
Elizabeth/Raiden/Shen vs Ryo/Terry/Kula
Ralf/Hwa/Maxima vs Ryo/Terry/Kula
Kyo/K'/Shen vs Ryo/Terry/Kula
Ryo/Terry/Kula vs Duo Lon/Elizabeth/Kim
Terry/Ash/Shen vs Kim/Elizabeth/Vice
K'/Raiden/Shen vs Kim/Takuma/Ash
K'/Vice/Yuri vs Kim/Takuma/Ash

Tried to pick ones with a variety of characters (though unfortunately not everyone got played [didn't notice ANY Athena, Benimaru, or Leona :(, off the top of my head, nor any impressive Clark or Goro play]), and where either both players did some nice stuff with each character who got playing time or an uncommon character like Kim tore up one of the high tiers.  The overall level of play isn't at the level of AI or Kaoru or the like.  That might not be such a bad thing, since it helps show that you don't need to be an absolute top class player to do good things, but it also might not be the best way of showing off the game.
Old man/bad player

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #1387 on: June 08, 2011, 04:30:49 AM »
From that post, I suddenly like to record some of our matches. Dunno how though (at least recording HD footage).

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: June 08, 2011, 05:10:16 AM »
If you plan to do that, you need HD footage. We have to show people how gorgeous the game looks in HD. IMO

I agree, and if the videos are running at 60 fps (the game runs at 60fps , right? ), then even better.

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: June 08, 2011, 02:53:43 PM »

I mean, obviously HD footage is better. But lots of players don't have the ability to record it. I don't think it's fair to exclude an entire region (China and Singapore) just because they can't record in HD. That said, maybe people don't think the gameplay in those videos is exciting enough? This is kind of subjective.

But I really think this video should be 100% about the gameplay, because it's targeted at the players who care most about gameplay. I'm sure Atlus will be able to send out screenshots and videos to major gaming sites. Which is great, because I think the regular visitors to those sites might prioritize graphics a bit more.

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 08, 2011, 04:03:24 PM »
good idea

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: June 08, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
What do you think about recording a real direct feed tournament with DC/AI players playing console version, sponsored by Atlus to adress these videos to hardcore comunity?

I think, now that nicalm has the contact of Atlus manager and he agreed to work closely with this community, I think a "testing" tournament with a console version copy could be cool. Similar to what SNKP did with arcade version before release it (I don't remeber the title.. "player's guide"?)

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #1392 on: June 08, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »
Similar to what SNKP did with arcade version before release it (I don't remeber the title.. "player's guide"?)

Technical References

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: June 08, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »
Similar to what SNKP did with arcade version before release it (I don't remeber the title.. "player's guide"?)

Technical References

No,no. I'm not meaning Technical References. Those were videos per char where they show they EX/DM/NeoMax skills. I'm talking about a tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDfbWosv1o

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/arcade/countdown/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:29:45 PM by Shiranui_ninja »

realkim

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 08, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »