Author Topic: Fightpads?  (Read 20856 times)

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
Fightpads?
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
So, I've never been in an arcade, so I grew up playing with pads. I play fighting games also with pads and I'm looking for a good pad that would work on PC and maybe on PS2/PS2. I play also fighter on PC (mainly PC version Guilty Gera X2 #Reload).

One contender is that Madcatz's Street Fighter fightpad. I've read that it works quite well and it is easy to get work on PC, espcially the Xbox360 version.

Other option is to get adapter that I could plug my Dualshock2 to PC. This would be the cheapest option and Duaslshock2 works well for KOFs, but my own controller is kinda used, but still quite reliable for a pre-owned Gamestop controller.

Third option looks like this
[spoiler][/spoiler]
It looks like shit. D-pad looks horrible, but buttons are quite well placed, but I've read even they are quite bad.

What do you think? Or should I just get stick? Budget is quite tight for me, but I want tome kind quality.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Re: Fightpads?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
I'm not a pad player but I do check some out. For me, the best is the NeoGeo pad, which is available for PS3 and PC. The buttons are great and the tiny stick instead of a d-pad feel better to me. The PDP pad is a step behind the NeoGeo pad. The Mad Catz fightpad is pretty miserable. The d-pad is very, very stiff. If you prefer the floating d-pad style, check out the Logitech pads (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayStation-3-Cordless-Precision-Controller/dp/B000O3E05Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1304608351&sr=8-4). It's a wireluess pad with a USB connection. I have 1 for my wife and it's quite nice. It works on both PS3 and PC.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »
I've heard that NeoGeo pad is awesome. Problem is that where I can find it. I only found it from Japanese sites.

I had one Logitech controller (Dual Action http://www.expert.fi/Tuotteet/Viihde-elektroniikka/Pelaaminen/Tarvikkeet/Logitech---Dual-Action-Gamepad ) It has very similar d-pad to that Precision controller and I have to say, it is horrible for fighting games. It is just so stiff, although I can pull moves more easily than using Xbox 360 controller.

Dualshock 2 has good d-pad. Espcially my controller has very slippery surface, so my thumb moves easily on it. Negative side is that on longer sessions, I get blisters. Once I played XI so long time, that I couldn't play it for a week  :)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
I find it impossible to play fighters on the Dualshock. The Precision I have has smooth and easy action on the d-pad. Maybe it's just preference.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:57:15 AM »
I grew up playing on PlayStation, so I'm kinda used to DualShock. Only problem I have in KOF is small jumps. When I just want to jump, it works well, but forward or backwards... no. Also the 360 motion is almost impossible to do, but not many SNK games have those motions, right? I could only think three games that have those.

Strongest contender is that NeoGeo pad. That little stick looks great and I think I won't get blisters while using it. Biggest problem has to be availability. I don't like ordering from abroad. Inside Europe is fine, but from Japan I have to think twice. They use delivery companies (UPS for example), so it is damn expensive.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
Check out the Logitech dual action PS-style controllers. They're on Amazon for about $10-15. Really nice controllers. The Madcatz controllers have very stiff d-pads and I prefer the PS-style button layout more since I play with my thumbs.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:13:53 AM »
I think everyone is forgetting the most classic badass pad ever: The SATURN pad! There's a USB version that works on PS3/PC and its VERY nice. Good for classic 2D games and ANY fighting games. http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Original-SEGA-Saturn-Control-Black/dp/B004VUBGBM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1304748635&sr=8-5

I'd rate this right below the PDP pad or perhaps equal to/above? I'd also say its worlds better than the awful fight pad and much much cheaper. Imo, the logitech pads are slightly above the fightpad but not by much.

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-P220-Digital-Game-Pad/dp/B000075B5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1304748723&sr=1-1

This one is also pretty good. Also works in PS3/PC, and has a similar setup to the saturn pad. Very comfortable, very easy to use. I've rocked some Garou, 3rd Strike, and 02 on this thing for many years before getting a stick. Using a pad is perfectly fine, as there are tournament players who use them and win. Its all up to you, though in most cases sticks out-perform them. But its still a viable option and there's plenty of good pads out there. My favourite, and one I'd KILL to get my hands on, is the PS2 Sega Saturn Darkstalkers pad. Its near impossible to find these days...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-49-en-70-ohs.html

This is it for anyone who'd like to see. A true collector's item...if you have one, don't ever let anything happen to it!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 08:15:58 AM by steamwolf »

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »
From what I gather, many pad users prefer the Saturn pad for fighters over everything else. I never understood why as the pad feels extremely flimsy and is very tiny in comparison to other pads.

I also feel that the Neo Geo pad is horrible. It feels great, but forcing motions just so they register isn't the best quality in a pad. I have owned over seven of these, and they all have suffered from the same problem. Usually down is the direction that dies out. I can't say if this problem is still around with the newer models (PS2/PS3), but stay away from these if you own a Neo/Neo CD.

The pad I used for fighters was a PS2 pad. At first it was horrible, but after about a year or two of breaking it in with CvS2, the thing became the perfect pad for me. I was able to do everything in all the fighters I played with very little problems, until about 2-4 years ago, when the pad got a bit too broken in. Now I have to force motions like the Neo pad, and even for the buttons in just to read.

A pad I think is decent right now is the Hori EX pad. The only problem I have found with these is that some of them will register two button inputs when one presses X/A and it gets annoying. I have used about 2-3 that do this, so I don't think its a huge issue (I could be wrong). This is the best pad I've used for this generation http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-3py6.html but its not available in the states (maybe the wireless model is).

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:31:12 AM »
From what I gather, many pad users prefer the Saturn pad for fighters over everything else. I never understood why as the pad feels extremely flimsy and is very tiny in comparison to other pads.

I also feel that the Neo Geo pad is horrible. It feels great, but forcing motions just so they register isn't the best quality in a pad. I have owned over seven of these, and they all have suffered from the same problem. Usually down is the direction that dies out. I can't say if this problem is still around with the newer models (PS2/PS3), but stay away from these if you own a Neo/Neo CD.

The pad I used for fighters was a PS2 pad. At first it was horrible, but after about a year or two of breaking it in with CvS2, the thing became the perfect pad for me. I was able to do everything in all the fighters I played with very little problems, until about 2-4 years ago, when the pad got a bit too broken in. Now I have to force motions like the Neo pad, and even for the buttons in just to read.

A pad I think is decent right now is the Hori EX pad. The only problem I have found with these is that some of them will register two button inputs when one presses X/A and it gets annoying. I have used about 2-3 that do this, so I don't think its a huge issue (I could be wrong). This is the best pad I've used for this generation http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-3py6.html but its not available in the states (maybe the wireless model is).

Saturn is light and feels flimsy, but its durable and survives as to be expected of a Sega product. As for the NeoGeo pad? I have no idea, never tried one personally. The PDP pad was interesting, but I didn't play extensively on it. That Hori EX pad looks very interesting, I'd recommend somebody give it a shot because it looks pretty good. Hori usually makes their products with fighters in mind too.

As for PS2? I hate that thing. Its HORRIBLE for fighters. I mean yeah maybe you can pull off everything, but I've gotten so many blisters on my thumb from that d-pad its unbelievable. If my thumb gets blisters repeatedly because of a d-pad? Its no good. And I eternally loathe having to use shoulder buttons for anything.

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:49:40 AM »
yea the PS2 pad did rip my thumb up to the point that it would gush blood. I had to hold it a different way to avoid that.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 01:55:35 PM »
I found this controller from some shop http://www.polarpanda.com/store/images/X360_HoriPad_1_L.jpg

Looks kinda cool, but are those "analog" sticks mainly used or that cross shaped d-pad?

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 11:48:58 PM »
I'd be careful who you buy from in regards to Saturn pads. I bought one off ebay from a Chinese seller, and the product looked legit and everything but the D-pad snapped right off after about a month.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »
I'm a Pad fighter and the best D-pad I had so far was the PS3 White controller, they changed the texture of the D-pad buttons and it feels great. It has great grip and everything works. You can just buy one and plug-it in a PC, you just need to download a program and it will work perfectly.

The Saturn Pad is also awesome, the only problem for me is that I play with the middle part of my thumb and when I go to the right side of the D-pad my movement gets restricted due to the little elevation the controller has besides the right side of the D-pad. The Saturn D-pad is the best for people who play with the tip of their thumb.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »
I'm a Pad fighter and the best D-pad I had so far was the PS3 White controller, they changed the texture of the D-pad buttons and it feels great. It has great grip and everything works. You can just buy one and plug-it in a PC, you just need to download a program and it will work perfectly.
So, is there more differences between different colours of PS3 controller (DualShock 3). I have only tried Sixaxis controller for Soulcalibur IV, but that was three years ago, so I don't remember.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »
So, is there more differences between different colours of PS3 controller (DualShock 3). I have only tried Sixaxis controller for Soulcalibur IV, but that was three years ago, so I don't remember.

To me there was, the SIXAXIS I had worked great, then I bought a second controller (Black DualShock 3) and it was a bit hard to do some fighting games movements. So I keep using the SIXAXIS for fighters, then a friend bought the White one and I tested it out in a tournament. That is when I felt the difference, I could pull everything I was able to do with my SIXAXIS and it felt new. Then I bought one and it was exactly like that. After that I just use my white controller for fighters on the PS3. I wish I could use it on my PC but I have 64 bits Vista and the drivers are a bit problematic in it, but if you have 32 bits Windows it should work with no problems.