Author Topic: Drive Cancel Radio Episode 2  (Read 16326 times)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Drive Cancel Radio Episode 2
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »
Desmond Delaghetto and I talked with Dark Geese, DeadlyRave-Neo, jinxhand and steamwolf about player improvement, online vs travel and state of the community and the fighting game community as a whole. Please leave any comments in this thread.

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
Re: Drive Cancel Radio Episode 2
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 03:36:49 AM »
My questions weren't really answered :(

You should limit to how many people you have on at once and you should do some more interaction yourself. You were quiet throughout most of the show.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:17:43 AM »
To be honest, we didn't really answer or get to a lot of people's questions, there was a lot of shared insight and opinions on a single subject that if we did get to everyone's questions the show would've been 12 hours long, hahaha.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

krazykone123

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:18:50 AM »
Wow this episode was amazing, yall had me dead with all those jokes haha.

Comments
- DG, DRN, Jinx, Steam need to be on more episodes, you guys provide superb commentary
- A lot of unaswered questions bro
- Is the episode limit always 1 hour 30 minutes? maybe a episode 2.5 is in order

Besides that I enjoyed the Podcast very much, I'm hype for the next episode already, how can you not play KOF after hearin' this yo?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:20:47 AM by krazykone123 »

DeadlyRave-Neo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:24:08 AM »
good podcast
friends dont let friends use bosses

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:37 AM »
The only reason I brought up my questions not being answered is because Nilcam said "That pretty much answers Giby's questions" (paraphrasing) after a discussion about online vs offline.

I still want to know if Ash's pants make my butt look big :/

DeadlyRave-Neo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:05:32 AM »
yes it does
friends dont let friends use bosses

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:05:20 PM »

Besides that I enjoyed the Podcast very much, I'm hype for the next episode already, how can you not play KOF after hearin' this yo?

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I had a lot of fun talking with the guys, I laughed so much, lol. And I hope it inspires and motivates people to play and practice KOF more.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »
Good stuff guys, I finally got a chance to finish listening it.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
I'm listening to it right now, good so far.  I have a question about Macros:  Do ppl consider having one button do rolls, CDs, ABCs as one button, is that consider a macro or is it only limited to combos?

I know that wasn't the point of the entire discussion on the podcast, but I was just wondering how ppl feel about having one button do something that you would have to normally press separately.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
Macros is referring to full combos or moves (DPs,Fireballs) which is completely cheating, one button rolls and CDs is fine since a lot of the the console versions come with stuff like that. Even EVO allows one buttons 3K or 3P for ultras since that's default config.

EDIT: How do you feel about it?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:07:09 PM by THE ANSWER »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
Macros is referring to full combos or moves (DPs,Fireballs) which is completely cheating, one button rolls and CDs is fine since a lot of the the console versions come with stuff like that. Even EVO allows one buttons 3K or 3P for ultras since that's default config.

Well, I think that how arcades have it setup is the way I feel it should be, I know not everyone agrees with me, but a macro to me is a pre-programmed combination, some are longer that others, but nevertheless it does what all macros are set out to do--it simplifies the input no matter how you cut it.  An extreme case would be XII's simple mode vs normal mode, but you get my point.

Years ago, I know we had this debate with DG on SRK right around 98UM.  Some ppl will argue that it's the "timing" as pressing 3 buttons manually are the same (let's use '98UM's ABC=QMAX for example), which is true to a certain degree, but it eliminates any chance of "error" in pushing the buttons off sync etc.

A huge advantage?  No.  Is it a form of macro?  Yes, IMHO.

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »

Well, I think that how arcades have it setup is the way I feel it should be, I know not everyone agrees with me, but a macro to me is a pre-programmed combination, some are longer that others, but nevertheless it does what all macros are set out to do--it simplifies the input no matter how you cut it.  An extreme case would be XII's simple mode vs normal mode, but you get my point.

Years ago, I know we had this debate with DG on SRK right around 98UM.  Some ppl will argue that it's the "timing" as pressing 3 buttons manually are the same (let's use '98UM's ABC=QMAX for example), which is true to a certain degree, but it eliminates any chance of "error" in pushing the buttons off sync etc.

A huge advantage?  No.  Is it a form of macro?  Yes, IMHO.

People call these macros but macro is actually sequence of actions like d, df, f+P. This is a multi-key binding. For SF I know key binding 3 keys (PPP or KKK) is normal and widely accepted and is used to reduce margin of error. But for throws and focus attack (2 buttons) it's still allowed, but some people frown upon it and some don't. The reason for this is because when there are 6 different unique buttons for pad, you'd have to hit 2 buttons + 1 button on the shoulder which is a awkward hand motion, whereas KoF uses 4 buttons and do not require one of the unique buttons on the shoulder of the pad.

I think a good argument is that if the binding is allowed in the original button configurations, it should be fine. If it's not in the original configuations then maybe not. Either way it's a slight advantage in that it reduces margin of error.

Dark Geese

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 01:20:10 AM »
Well part of the "raw podcast" we had talked about this guys. Basically now and days because of the "Dabbler Syndrome" you have people that are demanding macros (or should I say binding because full fledged macros simply is not acceptable!) in these games to be able to play them, be it the ABC or whatever they demand that it's in or they won't play. So as an organizer you have to walk the fine line between banning everything or allowing only the programs/binding that don't really truly affect the game.

You've got the OG's that argue everything should be the way it is in the arcade, then you have the new blood that feel you should do what it takes to bring in new players, be it "dumbing down the game" completely or what have you and there is a wide spectrum of views on both sides.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:24:12 AM by Dark Geese »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 01:50:48 AM »
In 98UM I use a one button A+B+C combination on my arcade stick for doing Qmax combos, which I found more easier than hitting all three buttons at the same time...In 2002UM, I just hit B+C manually.