The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/EX Terry
EX Terry is a character with tools for every distance, like a fireball for long distances and solid pokes for midrange, but close up is where he shines. He has great confirms from both lows and jump-ins, a mix of frametraps and true blockstrings, and great combo damage. One of his best aspects is that his go-to strings are good combos on hit and safe blockstrings/frametraps on block, letting him autopilot his way through. With Extra mode meter, he also gets access to some very damaging Quick MAX combos that make him a lot scarier. His weaknesses include fairly weak anti-airing options, and a lack of mixups outside of the general system tools.
Changes from Previous Versions
98 to 98UM
- The activation range of cl.D has been reduced
- st.D's priority has been reduced
- Full jump j.D now has less downwards priority, meaning that you can no longer use it to instant overhead on regular height crouchers; hop j.D still works for instant overheads, though
- qcf+P now has 5 frames less recovery
- d~u+P now has some throw invincibility on startup
- hcf+B's damage has been reduced by 5 points
- hcf+D's damage has been reduced by 6 points
- dp+P has been added as a new move, it is special-cancelable on hit or block
- qcb,db,f+P's hit effect is now the one from Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
- Third hit of qcb,db,f+AC has had its hitbox increased behind it
- All hits of qcb,db,f+AC now connect even at the edge of the screen; it will drop if used all the way in the corner though.
98UM to 98UMFE
- st.B's damage has been increased from 5 to 6 points
- qcb+D's recovery has been reduced by 3 frames
- qcb+D's hitbox has been extended downwards, it can now hit short crouchers
- hcf+K is now special-cancelable into any other special than another hcf+K
- qcf+C now builds less meter
- d~u+C now has extra invincibility
- qcb,db,f+P now has 8 frames faster startup, but it no longer has invincibility after the super flash.
- cl.A: A standard cl.A. Whiffs on short crouchers. Chainable and cancelable.
- cl.B: Will hit all crouchers. Cancelable.
- cl.C: Two-hitting cl.C. Good to use in combos, as both hits are cancelable, making it easy to confirm from. Cancelable.
- cl.D: Larger activation range than cl.C, but only does 1 hit. Has a lot of active frames, so good as a meaty. Cancelable.
- st.A: Standard jab. Good for stopping hops. Whiffs on regular crouchers. Chainable and cancelable.
- st.B: Good far-reaching midrange poke.
- st.C: Whiffs on low crouchers. Comes out at a nice height for stopping hops.
- st.D: Slow startup and recovery. Long range.
- cr.A: Standard crouching jab. Chainable and cancelable.
- cr.B: EX Terry's main low confirm option. Chainable.
- cr.C: Fairly fast, nice range and combo-able. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- cr.D: A long-range sweep with fairly long startup. Decent for midrange poking when canceled. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- j.A: Nice priority for air-to-airs. Can also be used as a jump-in.
- j.B: Mostly good as an air-to-air. Whiffs on regular crouchers.
- j.C: Decent jump-in. Can crossup.
- j.D: His most-used jump-in and a great multipurpose tool. It's good as an air-to-air and as a jump-in. It can also crossup, and the hop version can instant overhead on regular-height crouchers.
- st.CD: Slow attack with a lot of startup. Has a lot of low invincibility. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- j.CD: Great jump-in for pressure due to its downwards angle.
- Regular throw, techable. EX Terry grabs the opponent and uppercuts them, sending them almost fullscreen away and causing a soft knockdown.
- Regular throw, techable. EX Terry slams the opponent to the ground behind him, sending them almost fullscreen away and causing a backturned hard knockdown.
- Two-hitting move for combos and blockstrings.
- The second hit can whiff if there's too much pushback before the f+A.
- Only the second hit is cancelable.
- Has two hitboxes, the first one in front of him and the second one diagonally above him. Only hits once, however.
- The second hitbox can function as an anti-air, and in fact works as EX Terry's main anti-air normal against full jumps.
- Good to use in combos that starts with lights, as f+A won't combo from them.
- A dash punch. A version goes a short distance and C version goes fullscreen.
- A version is a good pressure tool, as it's safe when properly spaced out, works as a preemptive anti-air to catch jump-outs, and has a good hitbox to catch pokes.
- C version is safe from fullscreen away and can be used as a way to get in, but use it sparingly as its slow startup makes it easy to react to and stuff.
- Can be low-profiled and then punished by some moves.
- A grounded projectile. A version travels slower than the C version.
- Good zoning and pressure tool, as it's safe on block.
- Can be hopped over.
- Has a deadzone right in front of EX Terry.
- Moves with low invincibility can go through the projectile.
- A close-ranged stationary projectile.
- On hit and block it's special- and super-cancelable, so you can use it to extend pressure or combos.
- Long startup and recovery, making it very punishable on whiff since you can't cancel it into something safe.
- Also very punishable on block and hit if you don't cancel it into anything.
- An arching kick. B version travels shorter and lower down than the D version.
- B version is a good preemptive anti-air, and can be fairly safe on block if spaced.
- B version will whiff on short crouchers.
- D version takes longer to come out, but is plus on block and does multiple hits.
- As an anti-air, D version hits higher up than B version.
- Only the last hit of the D version will hit short crouchers.
- A sliding kick with two hits.
- The first hit of the sliding kick hits low and is special-cancelable, meaning you can make some true blockstrings and frame traps when combined with his other specials.
- The second hit hits mid and is only cancelable into d~u+P.
- Good move to cancel into both in combos and on block, as it has a lot of reach and comes out fast so you can combo even from long range.
- Unsafe on block unless the first hit is canceled into qcf+A or qcb+B.
- When not canceled, it launches the opponent so you can do a j.D for a reset. If you just let the opponent fall, it causes a soft knockdown.
- EX Terry's DP. A big upwards-traveling spinning kick. A version goes a shorter distance but comes out faster.
- A version has startup invincibility and can be used as a fast anti-air.
- C version has invincibility lasting into the active frames, making it a good reversal.
- Unsafe on block or whiff.
- Causes a soft knockdown.
- A large energy wave in front of EX Terry.
- Hitbox extends a ways upwards and in front of EX Terry, so it works great as an anti-air.
- Its large range also makes it easy to combo into from all of his super-cancelable tools.
- Has full startup invincibility, but none on the active frames, so it can trade.
- Causes a soft knockdown.
- The MAX version does 3 big power geysers in a row, each appearing increasingly far out from EX Terry.
- Does more damage, but the last hit can whiff if the move was done too close to the corner.
- Causes a soft knockdown.
- In any metered combo, qcb,db,f+P can be replaced with qcb,db,f+AC for more damage if you have the resources.
cr.B, cr.A, cr.A, df+C, hcf+K, d~u+C/qcf+A/j.D
- Low confirm combo. The d~u+P ender is for max damage, the qcf+A is for safety on block, and the j.D is for a reset.
(j.X), cl.C, f+A, hcf+K, d~u+C/qcf+A/j.D
- Standard combo from a jump-in or a heavy starter. On a jump-in, you need to go into f+A on the first hit of cl.C for the combo to work.
cr.B, cr.A, cr.A, df+C, qcb,db,f+P
- Low confirm into DM.
(j.X), cl.C, f+A, qcb,db,f+P
- Simple combo into DM from a jump-in or heavy starter.
With Quick MAX
cr.B, cr.A, cr.A, df+C, hcf+K, ABC, qcb,db,f+P
- Low confirm into Quick MAX that allows a DM to connect after the second hit of hcf+K.
(j.X), cl.C, df+C, hcf+K(1), qcb+D, ABC, cr.A, df+C, qcb,db,f+P
- A Quick MAX combo that works on standing opponents only, as the qcb+D will whiff on crouchers. On a crossup starter, you can replace the last cr.A with a cl.D for more damage.