King of Dinosaurs (XIV)
- 1 Movelist
- 2 Quick Combo Reference
- 3 Gameplay Overview
- 4 Normals
- 5 Throws
- 6 Command Moves
- 7 Special Moves
- 8 Super Special Moves
- 9 Climax Super Special Moves
- 10 Combos
- 11 Misc
- 12 Videos
- 13 External Links
- 14 Discussion Threads
(*) = EX OK
(!) = MAX OK
Super Special Moves
Climax Desperation Move
Quick Combo Reference
(Combo 1) = (damage number here) dmg
(Combo 1) = (damage number here) dmg
|2 Meters||Anywhere||(Combo 1) = (damage number here) dmg|
The King of Dinosaurs is a slow, "power"-style grappler like Daimon or Maxima. Since he lacks the mobility to be highly aggressive like Clark or Ramon, the King must rely on slow, careful movements to provoke his opponents into making big, punishable mistakes. In exchange for his low mobility, he has several armored normal and special attacks with which to deflect projectiles, jump-ins, and pokes and attempt a free punish. He also has a fast command grab to punish otherwise minor mistakes, and a long-ranged jump D with which to poke or lock off air space. He gains even more and better armored and punishment tools in MAX mode via his EX Assault Raptor and EX Zetsumetsu Hurricane. With that said, the King's low mobility is his biggest problem by far -- he has some good offensive and defensive moves, but can seriously struggle against many opponents to gain or keep the ranges where they work best. His combos are simple enough for beginners to perform, but the difficulty of his neutral game makes him better suited for experienced players who can work better around his limitations. But if you want to learn how to play a strong defensive style, the King of Dinosaurs is an excellent platform to teach you the fundamentals of smart defensive grappling.
- 5F / -2
- Good anti-air/hop check due to its range and height.
- Whiffs on crouching opponents.
- Against an opponent who will stay grounded, use cr.A instead.
- This normal is not spammable, so mis-timing this can result in a running opponent catching KoD with a cr.B st.B max mode confirm
- 6F / -2
- Dino’s best poke for 1-bar quick max confirming (st.B BC cl.C).
- Does not hit low.
- Will combo to A Zetsumetsu Hurricane except at nearly max range
- Effective whiff punish, though not confirmable
- If st.B xx hcb+A is blocked, opponents may need to move forward first to punish
- At the correct ranges, this can be cancelled to Assault Raptor (qcf+B/D) as a mixup
- If an opponent backdashes the st.B that is cancelled to Assault Raptor, the opponent will be airborne and Assault Raptor will whiff. Moreover, the opponent will recover fast enough to punish with a full combo.
- 16F / -2
- Has upper-body autoguard a few frames after startup.
- Super cancellable.
- Will whiff on shorter crouching opponents (think Iori or smaller).
- The armor on this move makes it useful both for plowing through slow C/D pokes, as well as slapping away high fireballs (King, Andy, Mai, etc.).
- Its major vulnerability is crouching moves, so it should be used against opponents conditioned to stand block or poke standing.
- 15F / -8
- Hits high, but starts up slowly.
- The hitbox reaches surprisingly far under this move, allowing it to whiff punish some crouching normals with good spacing. However, st.B and cr.D are usually easier whiff punish tools, and cr.C is usually a better anti-air.
- Minus on block, but special/super-cancellable and chains to command normals, as well as to cr.A.
- Minus on block, but special-cancellable. Comparable activation range to cl.A.
- Cancellable. Primarily combo filler, but chokes off a decent amount of space right in front of KoD to stuff the startup of jumps.
- Forces stand on hit.
- Does 80 damage.
- After jump-ins, use cl.C instead to continue confirm, since cl.D is usually too slow to combo.
- Good range and speed
- Chains into itself
- Spammable on whiff
- Vulnerable to super-low-profile moves a la Iori/Sylvie cr.B (may have changed in ver. 2.00).
- Staple pressure tool since it's self-chaining and confirmable (but not from too far away)
- Minus on block
- Can be effective for low one-bar confirm (cr.B BC cl.C)
- Hits low, chains to cr.A and cl.A for confirm.
- Max range cr.B cr.A cr.A Quick Max confirm does not combo to cl.C midscreen.
- Can reach with Zetsumetsu Hurricane (C ver.) after this is blocked.
- Has upper-body autoguard a few frames after startup.
- Unsafe on block, so should be cancelled to Rex Head (safer on block) unless the opponent is airborne and close to the ground.
- Can hit behind KoD sometimes, but usually has tendency to whiff against crossover jumps.
- If this resets an opponent at close range, KoD will switch sides with the opponent.
- Very slow recovery on whiff.
- Double sweep (hits low, either hit can knock down)
- 1st hit cancellable
- 2nd hit minus on block.
- True blockstring.
- Safe pushback on block
- Vulnerable to whiff punishes and guard cancel roll punishes.
- j. A: Fast, long-ranged, and decently active, but its hitbox is so high in the air that it's very difficult to air-to-air many hop attacks with this move. Best reserved for very high air-to-air defense; otherwise, stay on the ground and anti-air with b+A, cr.C, or st.A.
- j. B: A nice deep jump-in, and despite how it looks, actually a better low jump air-to-air than j.A. It has a similar active window and enough speed and a protected-enough hurtbox to reliably stop many air-to-air attacks that lack the extreme range of a j.D (in which case the King can frequently win from a vertical jump if he jumped higher than Iori).
- j. C: The King's deepest jump-in. Mostly a combo starter and frontal jump-in, but can be a decent air-to-air from a high vertical jump as well. Can cross up if you aim to hit the opponent with Dino's ass.
- j. D: The King's most reliable jump zoning move, with huge horizontal range to protect his hurtbox. Its only drawback is that it doesn't reach very deep, so it's prone to whiffing on crouching opponents if done too early from a jump. Mix this move in with empty vertical and backward hops and you may see some opponents land on it.
- st. CD: Not a whole lot of range by Dino's standards, but it's decently fast and positive on block, which is rare for Dino. Midscreen, you can run up and get a qcb+D bite for an OTG combo.
- j. CD: Not a good crossup move despite how it looks (sorry Zangief fans), but is quite fast for a Dino normal, making it a decent air-to-air and good, safe hop pressure tool. Hop after your opponent does a big hop attack and let it rip for best whiff-punishment results.
Dyna Bomb - (b/f+C) close
- KoD grabs the opponent and throws them into the wall
- Can be broken
- Soft knockdown. Can OTG with Giga Compy, but only if the opponent fails to tech roll. Will un-corner the opponent if they are deep in the corner when thrown with Dyna Bomb.
Dyna Buster - (b/f+D) close
- Mesozoic German suplex.
- Can be broken
- Hard knockdown. Switches sides with the opponent.
Rex Head - f + A
- Overhead when performed standalone. Blockable high/low when chained into. Combos from C/D normals.
- Has upper-body autoguard shortly before the active frames (compare to st.C)
- Not special-cancellable, but is super-cancellable and MAX-cancellable for a combo
- Minus but safe on block. Soft knockdown on air hit
Yucatan Punch - b + A
- Can only hit aerial opponents, but is special/super-cancellable
- Too slow to use on reaction in most cases, must read jumps and use in advance.
- Inflicts float state on air hit, can juggle with anything afterwards
- Has upper-body autoguard a few frames after startup, but can be safe jumped by hop attacks if activated too late. Nevertheless, one of the King's best anti-air attacks
Zetsumetsu Hurricane - hcb + A/C
- A version starts up fastest, can combo from A/B normals
- C version starts up slower but has full-body autoguard shortly after startup throughout active frames
- Hard knockdown, but leaves KoD a fair distance away from his opponent. Still, his most damaging 0-bar combo ender
EX: Starts up fast like A version, moves forward about 1/4 screen, full-body autoguard. Great for plowing through pokes for a knockdown.
Ankylo Hammer - qcf + A/C
- A version starts up faster, does 2 hits, recovers faster. Combos from A/B normals. Soft knockdown on 2nd hit. Can cancel with Break on 1st hit.
- C version starts up slower, does 3 hits, recovers slower. Hard knockdown on 3rd hit. Can cancel with Break on 2nd hit.
- 2nd hit of C version will hit opponents OTG for a re-float. 1st and 2nd hits super-cancellable, but non-MAX Dinner of Dinosaur will not juggle fully.
EX: 3 hits, 3rd hit inflicts wall bounce. Unsafe on block. Cannot be cancelled with Break. Combo filler.
- Break - AB
- Cancels Ankylo Hammer before the final hit
- Breaking A version is -3(?) on block, safe to all non-grab punishment. Breaking C version is unsafe to A/B normals and fast cl.C/D's.
Assault Raptor - qcf + B/D
- B version flies a short distance forward, D version flies farther
- Cannot hit aerial or crouching opponents, very punishable on whiff
- Mostly useless, but occasionally useful to whiff punish ground fireballs (Iori, Terry)
EX: Will grab crouching opponents. Significantly faster to start up and travels farther at a faster speed. A very good long-range punish on projectiles at neutral, but not projectile-invulnerable.
Giga Compy - qcb + B/D
- Hits opponent OTG. Can hit standing or crouching opponents, blockable mid. Hard knockdown.
- Flings opponent behind and away from KoD (about a screen length)
- A damaging combo ender, provided you're willing to live with the side switch + distance afterwards
EX: Faster startup, easier to use after midscreen hard knockdowns like EX Ankylo Hammer inflicts.
Super Special Moves
Super Zetsumetsu Hurricane - hcb, hcb + A/C
- Both grabs very fast (1f)? startup. Not invulnerable. If opponent is not already within range when KoD activates the super, he'll run forward a short distance, continuing to look for the grab.
- Has a ton of active frames due to KoD's running animation, so it can actually be a legit whiff punish, or just grab players who impulsively hold down-back after a big whiff.
- KoD runs forward about 1/4 screen before he gives up on the grab. Very punishable on whiff, of course.
MAX: More damage, same startup speed, same distance travelled, still no invulnerability.
Dinner of Dinosaur - qcf, qcf + B/D
- Startup is not invulnerable. Gap between the 4th and final hits where you can slip in a 1f grab and punish.
- Massively unsafe on block or guard-cancel roll. Only useful as combo filler/ender.
- Will hit aerial opponents, but opponent will frequently fall out of the last hits unless the juggle is carefully engineered.
- Hard knockdown. Can OTG afterwards with Giga Compy.
MAX: Adds an additional hit that hits overhead for more damage. Cannot OTG afterwards due to additional recovery.
Climax Super Special Moves
Tyra Mosa Dread Carno Gaoh! - hcb, hcb + BD
- Fully invulnerable startup
- Reaches high, but slow startup makes it vulnerable to safe jump setups
- Carries opponent about 1/3 stage on success
- (any special information about the character combos if needed)
Rush Auto Combo
Meterless: Minus but safe on block for 2nd and 3rd hits. A good 0-bar route from cr.B because it results in the most meterless damage from that starter.
1 Meter: Ends with Dinner of Dinosaur. Slightly wasteful on hit because there's no special before the super, but you can OTG afterwards to recover some damage.
EX: The least efficient version since you can't OTG after MAX Dinner of Dinosaur.
- cr.B, cr.A, hcb+A (197 DMG)
- cr.B, cl.A, Rush Combo (224 DMG)
- st.B, qcf+A, (AB) (58/94 DMG)
- st.B, hcb+A (182 DMG)
- cl.D, qcf+C (191 DMG)
- cl.D, qcf+C, AB, cr.D (218 DMG)
- cl.D, hcb+A (232 DMG)
- st.CD, dash or qcf+B/D (whiff), qcb+B/D (177 DMG)
- b+A (air hit), cr.D (151 DMG)
- j.CD (counter hit), st.CD (171 DMG)
- b+A (air hit), qcf+C, AB, cl.C/cr.C (204 DMG)
- st.CD, qcf+C (2nd), AB, cl.C/cr.C (165 DMG)
- st.CD, st.B, hcb+A (228 DMG)
( ^^^ Works only from st.CD max range or meaty hit (hit with last active frame) )
- j.CD (counter hit), qcf+C, AB, cl.C/cr.C (229 DMG)
- j.CD (counter hit), b+A, qcf+C (276 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, qcf+A (1 hit), SC, qcfx2+B/D, qcb+B/D (323 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, BC, cl.C, qcf+AC, qcb+BD (309 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcb+BD (391 DMG)
- f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcb+BD (334 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, BC, cl.C, qcf+AC, qcf+AC (275 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, SC, qcfx2+B/D, qcb+B/D (387 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+AC (357 DMG)
- f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+AC (300 DMG)
- b+A (air hit), BC, b+A, qcf+AC (255 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, BC, cl.C, qcf+AC, qcf+AC, qcb+B/D (335 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+AC, qcb+B/D (417 DMG)
- f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+AC, qcb+B/D (360 DMG)
- b+A (air hit), BC, b+A, qcf+AC, qcf+C (315 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, qcf+A, SC, hcbx2+AC (377 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, qcf+A, SC, qcfx2+BD (376 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, SC, qcfx2+BD (443 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, BC, cl.C, qcf+AC, qcf+C (2 hits), SC, qcfx2+BD (428 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+C (2 hits), SC, qcfx2+BD (510 DMG)
- f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+C (2 hits), SC, qcfx2+BD (453 DMG)
- b+A (air hit), BC, b+A, qcf+C (2 hits), SC, qcfx2+BD (438 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, qcf+A (1 hit), SC, hcbx2+BD (459 DMG)
- b+A (air hit), BC, b+A, qcf+C (2 hits), SC, hcbx2+BD (526 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, BC, cl.C, qcf+AC, qcf+C (2 hits), SC, hcbx2+BD (493 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+C (2 hits), SC, hcbx2+BD (575 DMG)
- f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+C, (2 hits), SC, hcbx2+BD (518 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, qcf+A(1), SC, qcfx2+B/D(4), CC, hcbx2+BD (526 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, SC, qxfx2+B/D(4), CC, hcbx2+BD (605 DMG)
- b+A (air hit), qcf+C(2), SC, qcfx2+B/D(1), CC, hcbx2+BD (547 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, BC, cl.C, qcf+AC, qcf+AC(2), qcf+C(2nd), SC, hcbx2+BD (530 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+AC(2), qcf+C(2nd), SC, hcbx2+BD (612 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, qcf+A(1), SC, qcfx2+BD(4), CC, hcbx2+BD (544 DMG)
- cr.B, cr.A, BC, cl.C, qcf+AC, qcf+C(2), SC, qcfx2+BD(3), CC, hcbx2+BD (553 DMG)
- cl.D, f+A, BC, cl.D, qcf+AC, qcf+C(2), SC, qcfx2+BD(3), CC, hcbx2+BD (635 DMG)
KoF XIV: K.O.D. Beginner Breakdown
KOF XIV Karn Dinosaur compilation
King of Dinosaurs Slow Motion Hitboxes
Ben Reed, Karn
Discuss at Dream Cancel
|The King of Fighters XIV|
| Kyo Kusanagi · Benimaru · Goro Daimon · Iori Yagami · Mature · Vice · Terry Bogard · Andy Bogard · Joe Higashi · Nelson · Zarina · Bandeiras Hattori · Ralf Jones · Clark · Leona Heidern · Ramon · Angel · King of Dinosaurs · K' · Maxima · Kula Diamond · Xanadu · Chang Koehan · Choi Bounge · Ryo Sakazaki · Robert Garcia · Yuri Sakazaki · Nakoruru · Mui Mui · Love Heart · Kim Kaphwan · Gang-Il · Luong · Shun'Ei · Tung Fu Rue · Meitenkun · Athena Asamiya · Sie Kensou · Chin Gentsai · King · Mai Shiranui · Alice · Geese Howard · Billy Kane · Hein · Sylvie Paula Paula · Kukri · Mian|
Antonov · Verse
Vanessa · Rock Howard · Yamazaki · Whip