Category Archives: Community

An open letter regarding KOFXIII online play

This letter has been written by the staff at dreamcancel.com in an effort to urge SNKPlaymore and Atlus to address the online play issues of The King of Fighters XIII. Before posting it, I also forwarded it to the appropriate company representatives.

First, I’d like to take the opportunity to congratulate Atlus and its efforts in publishing and promoting an amazing product in The King of Fighters XIII. I honestly cannot remember the last time that KOF was so prominent in the gaming mainstream or was so highly regarded by gamers and critics alike. The Dream Cancel community greatly appreciates your effort.

That said, there is problem with the title – the online experience. While it is true KOFXIII provides a much better online experience than XII, it needs to be improved in order for the game to thrive in the United States. We understand the difficulty of creating a flawless online experience for a country as large as the U.S. with as varied an infrastructure but it is something the Dream Cancel community strongly feels is necessary. While we are seeing a growth in KOF play in local communities, most players both want and need to be able to play the game as flawlessly as possible online in order to build up their skills and confidence so they can participate in tournaments and expand the game’s lifespan.

At Dream Cancel, we have a thread discussing theonline experience and, overall, the community finds it to be decent but not good enough for high level play. Please take some time to review the thread (http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1521.0) and read what the community has to say.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Neil Cambre, aka nilcam
Administrator, dreamcancel.com

Guard Cancel: GuamoKun

Guard Cancel is an interview series profiling KOF community members. The goal is to get to know the people behind the tags. Guard Cancel will be published every Monday. If you’d like to be featured, email admin@dreamcancel.com or PM me in the forum.

1. How long have you played KOF? Which KOF was your first? Which is your favorite?
I’ve been playing KoF for about 14 years. Luckily for me, my aunt owned an arcade cabinet with hundreds of games. However, this is in Mexico and I only visit the place once a year. The first I ever played was KoF 97. I first bought my own KoF in 2001, it was KoF 99 for the PlayStation. My favorites teeter between 2000, and 2002um.

2. Why KOF over all of the other fighters?
I really like the system. But more than anything, the music and characters.

3. Are you a tournament player? If so, list your tournament rankings.
I am not a tournament player, yet. I do go to some MK tourneys but that’s about it. XIII will change that.
Read more

Happy KOFXIII day!

Finally, The King of Fighters is back on console. It’s been a long time coming, for sure. The countdown reads 0, our friends lists should be full of competitors and most of us will head out to a game shop to get our mitts on KOFXIII.

The reviews have been quite positive, including EGM, VenureBeat and even SRK.

What can I say, it’s a great day to be a KOF fan; it’s an even better day to be associated with the Dream Cancel community. You guys all rock and I look forward to facing all of you at some point.

Finally, here are some useful links once you’ve gotten some time in with the game:
PS3 player listing
Xbox 360 player listing
KOFXIII wiki
Don’t forget about the toolbar chat as a lot of match making will likely happen there.
One more thing, get your headsets charged! Voice communication rocks.

See you online!

Guard Cancel: OverHeat

Guard Cancel is an interview series profiling KOF community members. The goal is to get to know the people behind the tags. Guard Cancel will be published every Monday. If you’d like to be featured, email admin@dreamcancel.com or PM me in the forum.

1. How long have you played KOF? Which KOF was your first? Which is your favorite?
To be technical, I’ve played KoF since the original; Fatal Fury: The King of Fighters. That said, my first exposure to KoF proper was with an import version of KoF’94 arcade. When I was older and worked at an arcade, KoF’98 became my go-to game. I just absolutely adored everything about that game. It was everything that Street Fighter wasn’t.

Character design remained consistently interesting, larger and more varied set of special moves, faster play when compared to the competition. Besides, back in the day, getting to play 3 characters for only one quarter?! Baa~rgai~n!

I never played KoF in tournaments. As time went on I did quite well for myself but never knew of any tournaments. KoF was never super popular, so the only tourneys I ever knew of were based over in Street Fighter land. With the release of KoFXIII I intend to hype the game as much as I can at the local level, and participate in any tournaments for it that I can reach. Should it be announced at EVO 2012, I’ll be doing my best to be sure I attend.
Read more

The King of Fighters XIII: The final stretch

It’s almost here. In one week, we’ll have the game in hand and life will be beautiful.

Once you’ve optimized your console for online play, watched all of the videos available and memorized character move sets, here are a few activities to help fill in the time and be sure you’re ready for the big day.

Get your PSN ID (http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1009.0) or Xbox LIVE Gamertag (http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1010.0) listed in the forums. Add everyone on your preferred system to your friend list.

Once that’s done, sign up for the KOFXIII Grand Opening Online Tournament being run by community member MetalThrashingMadman. This event will be more than the first Dream Cancel online tournament. It’s an experiment to fully test the netcode and viability for more events.

Get your body ready!

Guard Cancel: Desmond Delaghetto

I’ve been playing KOF ever since the late 90s, but I’ve just taken the games seriously just a year or two ago. The very first KOF game I have ever played was probably KOF98 in the arcades. My cousin told me about it so we went to the bowling alley arcade to check it out, and I loved it. I thought it was pretty great. It was around the time the Capcom was putting out MvC1 and Alpha 3 and stuff but I really liked the unique approach of KOF98. Around that same time, a new video game store opened on the main street here in Saint Paul. I was on my way to actually play KOF98 at that bowling alley so I decided to stop in and check it out. They had some rare games, some imports and some arcade cabs. They had 2 neo-geo MVS machines, and one of them had KOF96. I used to go there every day and play alone against the CPU to try to get the top score. But my top favorite KOF currently is KOF2002UM next to KOFXIII.

KOF was just really unique and special than a lot of the fighters that was out. It was very stylish but not too out of the pocket like some games. I really liked the stages and music, and the character designs I thought were very cool too. Plus the fact that you can play 3 characters that were all different from one another was great too. The game featured a lot of cool defensive and offensive options that were lacking in some other fighters too. I also love 2D art and sprites as a whole, it gives it a real classic touch.

My very first KOF98 tournament I entered in was in 2009 I think, and I placed 2nd. We were playing on the Neo-Geo too. I placed 3rd in KOF2002UM at MWC2010 in Chicago, 2nd at KOF98UM at GNGC 1 here in MN in August, placed 4th place
at GNGC 2 in December 2010, got tied for 5th place at Frosty Faustings III in January 2011, and since then I haven’t played in a tournament since. Hopefully next year there will be some tournaments ran and I will see how I do.
Read more

Guard Cancel: FreeRunner

I have been playing KOF since high school. My first KOF was ’95, me and my brother used to play it on a demo disc he had on the PSX. It really picked up during my kaillera days. Hmmm. I would say my favorite KOF woud have to be between KOF 98 & KOF 02UM. Even though it is hated, I do have a soft spot for KOFXII.

Well the thing that draws to me to this series is the sheer amount of mobility options you have in the game. It also doesn’t make me feel helpless if I play a certain way, which some games tend to do sometimes. Also the characters are very diverse which is always a good thing.

3. Are you a tournament player? If so, list your tournament rankings
I once played in tournaments for Smash Bros. Brawl. I won a couple locals in that game but nothing too big. Even though I am in NYC, there aren’t any KOF tournaments here. My hope is that when KOFXIII comes out to consoles, there will be plenty of tournaments in my area. I am also planning on travelling to tournaments out of state as well, I just need to save up XD.
Read more

1 28 29 30 31 32 34