Dream Cancel Forum

News:

New to the forums? Introduce yourself HERE!

Racing Game thread

Started by sibarraz, October 02, 2011, 03:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xxenace

Quote from: nilcam on October 03, 2011, 09:35:09 PM
I don't play any realistic racing games. I own a car and live right off of the interstate. I can drive realistically whenever I would like to. Just like fighting games, I don't like realism.

My favorite racer is Burnout Paradise. Midnight Club is cool but I prefer the madness of Burnout.
burnout paradise is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttyy burnout 3 is still the best out of all of them also i really hate that argument that "i already have a car so i can drive realistically whenever i want"  i mean i would understand if everyone had a Ferrari  or a souped up subaru  but im gonna go on and assume most of us have just your usual everyday car that can get us from point A to point B and to my knowledge there really isn't any realistic fighting game (maybe the ufc games if you count those as fighting games or bushido blade)

sibarraz

The realism vs Fantasy is actually a really good debate which in the driving genre became more controversial

Personally, I love both of them, Arcade Style is more relaxed where you can pull things way more easy than other games

In the other hand, realistic games are really awesome because you can feel how much effort developers put to create the game and make it as real as possible, at least in forza 4 and GT5 there are tons of things that I could NEVER do in real life (time, profession, transit laws) so is actually the most near that you could do incredible things without having troubles (even though the experience will be better with a wheel, but sadly, those are expensive as hell)

I think that NFS: The run has reached a good mix between simulator and arcade, personally, I don't like all those NFS with the pimp my car style, but neither the simulators because they didn't seemed as polished as GT5 or Forza, but NFS The run really mix well both things

Waifu Material

Saitsuofleaves

Yeah, racing games are an odd beast for sure.  It's sort of like the 2D/3D fighting game thing, only the general public and casuals are a lot more observant of the differences.  And like that dichotomy, companies usually tend to try and corner one part of the market instead of all of it, and usually when they try to go a little too far into the other corner, bad things happen (NFS Prostreet for example).  But if a company can somehow either make good games of both types, they could corner the market.

The problem is, there are entrenched series now that people will go to in order to get their fix, just like Fighting Games (SF/MK for 2D, Tekken/Soul Caliber for 3D, just like GT/Forza for Realism and Burnout/NFS for Arcade).

Two interesting questions.  If you're on the outside looking in, which style do you try and go after?  Second question...if you're already inside, do you try and take a shot at the other corner with your main franchise?
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

sibarraz

Waifu Material

Saitsuofleaves

...Daytona USA?  No...way...
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Xxenace

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

Saitsuofleaves

Man, how long has it been since I played that game.

Xxenace

daytona jus beat out my hype for KoF

Saitsuofleaves

Quote from: Xxenace on October 04, 2011, 04:28:59 AM
daytona jus beat out my hype for KoF

Probably won't last considering...it will be a while until we see DAT Daytona return.

sibarraz

Daytona? What is a Daytona?

Everybody knows that it will be Sega Classic Racing

Waifu Material

Saitsuofleaves

Quote from: sibarraz on October 04, 2011, 05:21:02 AM

Don't even troll like that (not to mention, we don't need ANOTHER Shenmue cameo of sorts without having a sequel :'()

nilcam

I loved Burnout Paradise. The racing just felt great.

When I say realistic fighting games, I generally mean games like VF which don't have projectiles and other crazy shit. When I sit down for a game, I want that game to have no attachment to reality. Part of the reason I enjoy Midnight Club: LA was jumping off of the interstate and rolling through someone's yard while fleeing the police. That's what I want in my games: ridiculous over-the-top stuff.

You couldn't pay me to play GT or Forza. That shit is really boring to me.

sibarraz

Quote from: Saitsuofleaves on October 04, 2011, 05:30:16 AM
Quote from: sibarraz on October 04, 2011, 05:21:02 AM

Don't even troll like that (not to mention, we don't need ANOTHER Shenmue cameo of sorts without having a sequel :'()

Actually, it was semi trolling

On 2009 sega released a remake of Daytona USA for the arcades called Sega Classic Racing, the new name was because SEGA lost the rights of the daytona franchise (Sony must had them since the track appears on GT5) so basically, they renamed any mention of the game, completely changed let's go away so the singer will never say daytona, and as far as other changes, is the same game, same polygons from 1993, but with another camera so the game would look like is displayed in wide screen, and they changed the textures

Waifu Material

Xxenace

Quote from: nilcam on October 04, 2011, 05:40:13 AM
I loved Burnout Paradise. The racing just felt great.

When I say realistic fighting games, I generally mean games like VF which don't have projectiles and other crazy shit. When I sit down for a game, I want that game to have no attachment to reality. Part of the reason I enjoy Midnight Club: LA was jumping off of the interstate and rolling through someone's yard while fleeing the police. That's what I want in my games: ridiculous over-the-top stuff.

You couldn't pay me to play GT or Forza. That shit is really boring to me.

you should go back and play midnight club 3 much better racing much better music just overall better game than MN4

marchefelix

I don't know about you guys, but if there's one game series I really hate, it's Need for Speed. I hate how it celebrates the "Fast and Furious" culture (I don't know if that makes sense to anyone...). I'll take the boring real-life driving simulators over that any day.