Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 557468 times)

Nagare_Ryouma

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1920 on: May 02, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
http://bbs.kofunion.net/read.php?tid=168844

I don´t understand what it says but I haven´t seen those pics before. Is this suppose to be new art for the console release?

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: May 02, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »
No, they're special art that you get for clearing the game with certain edit teams.

[spoiler]Special teams are:

KOF Hero Team: Kyo, K', Ash
2003 Team: Ash, Shen, Duolon
Sidekick Team: Benimaru, Andy, Robert
Big Guy Team: Goro, Raiden, Maxima
Princess Team: Elisabeth, Mai, King
New Heroine Team: Athena, Yuri, Kula
Booze Team: King, Chin, Hwa[/spoiler]

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
MOVED from: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread
« Reply #1922 on: May 02, 2011, 10:23:07 PM »
I'm not saying K' and Raiden have to be nerfed lower than Kula or Liz, they could be nerfed to the same level. What I hate of SSFIV online is that 8 of 10 matches are against Ryu/Ken, and I'm seeing this happening to KOF XIII console version online... And I'm more worried about complainings and people leaving the game (or not enetering in KOF world) for this than if I will be able to win them with Mai, King and Mature (I think I will :D)

That's not what I meant. I mean if they do nerf K' and Raiden. After that people will complain about Elizabeth and Kula and want to nerf them as well. And after that people will again find something to complain about and want nerfed. The information is already out there for almost a year, so we should just leave it up to SNKP and see what happens with balance changes.

Well I'm pretty sure we all know that is what's going to happen since that's what happens in mostly every fighting game, a perfect example would MvC3 and the Sentinel nerf. Once sentinel was nerfed everybody started complaining about Phoenix. However that doesn't take away the fact the Sentinel nerf was needed and it made the game more balanced, right?

Now we might have different standards to what we consider a flop, as some of us might have different expectations. I would like at least have the success of another game that has approximately the same or equal community, per say lets refer to MK9.

1. Sales have been great for MK9 (I've got a copy my self)
2. Game was immediately added to the official line up of major tournaments with 64+ participants
3. A "NATIONAL" tournament will be hosted in a few weeks with prizes totaling to $21,000
4. Weekly gathering are hosted nation wide.
5. Top players from other games and new players to the game are picking it up, such as Arturo "Sabin" Sanchez in the East Coast and Justin Wong in the West Coast. Then you have mid-top players such as Floe and Alex Valle.
6. Part of EVO 2011

Again this would be what MY standards in order for the game not to be a flop, now some people might be satisfied with having a decent console port with decent online connection to play with 2-3 friends that also think that the game is decent and participate in maybe an annual tournament with a semi-decent turnout.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:36:56 PM by Kane317 »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread
« Reply #1923 on: May 02, 2011, 11:21:21 PM »
I'm not saying K' and Raiden have to be nerfed lower than Kula or Liz, they could be nerfed to the same level. What I hate of SSFIV online is that 8 of 10 matches are against Ryu/Ken, and I'm seeing this happening to KOF XIII console version online... And I'm more worried about complainings and people leaving the game (or not enetering in KOF world) for this than if I will be able to win them with Mai, King and Mature (I think I will :D)

That's not what I meant. I mean if they do nerf K' and Raiden. After that people will complain about Elizabeth and Kula and want to nerf them as well. And after that people will again find something to complain about and want nerfed. The information is already out there for almost a year, so we should just leave it up to SNKP and see what happens with balance changes.

Well I'm pretty sure we all know that is what's going to happen since that's what happens in mostly every fighting game, a perfect example would MvC3 and the Sentinel nerf. Once sentinel was nerfed everybody started complaining about Phoenix. However that doesn't take away the fact the Sentinel nerf was needed and it made the game more balanced, right?

Now we might have different standards to what we consider a flop, as some of us might have different expectations. I would like at least have the success of another game that has approximately the same or equal community, per say lets refer to MK9.

1. Sales have been great for MK9 (I've got a copy my self)
2. Game was immediately added to the official line up of major tournaments with 64+ participants
3. A "NATIONAL" tournament will be hosted in a few weeks with prizes totaling to $21,000
4. Weekly gathering are hosted nation wide.
5. Top players from other games and new players to the game are picking it up, such as Arturo "Sabin" Sanchez in the East Coast and Justin Wong in the West Coast. Then you have mid-top players such as Floe and Alex Valle.
6. Part of EVO 2011

Again this would be what MY standards in order for the game not to be a flop, now some people might be satisfied with having a decent console port with decent online connection to play with 2-3 friends that also think that the game is decent and participate in maybe an annual tournament with a semi-decent turnout.

Flop means poor sales and not many people playing it (complete failure). Then there's what you're stating which is great/best case scenario. Then there's a range in between which can be considered doing decent. I'm just saying it won't be a  flop.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Video Thread
« Reply #1924 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »
Flop means poor sales and not many people playing it (complete failure). Then there's what you're stating which is great/best case scenario. Then there's a range in between which can be considered doing decent. I'm just saying it won't be a  flop.

Exactly, which is why I mentioned those 2 points first, would you consider KOF XII a flop?
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49:19 PM »
Flop means poor sales and not many people playing it (complete failure). Then there's what you're stating which is great/best case scenario. Then there's a range in between which can be considered doing decent. I'm just saying it won't be a  flop.

Exactly, which is why I mentioned those 2 points first, would you consider KOF XII a flop?

Yes, but we're not talking about XII. You said you think XIII will be a flop if they don't nerf Raiden. Totally different game we're talking about here. I said XIII would not be a flop even if they didn't put said nerf. They will still get decent sales at the very minimum, with more than any other previous KOF series on console.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:51:15 PM by Ash »

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: May 02, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »
Flop means poor sales and not many people playing it (complete failure). Then there's what you're stating which is great/best case scenario. Then there's a range in between which can be considered doing decent. I'm just saying it won't be a  flop.

Yes, but we're not talking about XII. You said you think XIII will be a flop if they don't nerf Raiden. Totally different game we're talking about here. I said XIII would not be a flop even if they didn't put said nerf. They will still get decent sales at the very minimum (more than any other previous KOF series on console).

Good, now I have an idea of what you consider a flop. I believe that if Raiden is not nerfed XIII will have the same sales as XII did. Now you mention "decent sales at the very minimun" you do understand that in order for those sales to count the game game needs to be purchased new not used right? I know that if this issue is not addressed and people are aware before they have to make this purchase at retail price that they will hold on from buying it until they can find a used copy or simply just bootleg it for Xbox. I think the same rule applies for the netcode, I've seen people on this forums saying that if the netcode is not good that they will not buy it day one or new.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: May 03, 2011, 12:15:28 AM »

Yes, but we're not talking about XII. You said you think XIII will be a flop if they don't nerf Raiden. Totally different game we're talking about here. I said XIII would not be a flop even if they didn't put said nerf. They will still get decent sales at the very minimum (more than any other previous KOF series on console).

Good, now I have an idea of what you consider a flop. I believe that if Raiden is not nerfed XIII will have the same sales as XII did. Now you mention "decent sales at the very minimun" you do understand that in order for those sales to count the game game needs to be purchased new not used right? I know that if this issue is not addressed and people are aware before they have to make this purchase at retail price that they will hold on from buying it until they can find a used copy or simply just bootleg it for Xbox. I think the same rule applies for the netcode, I've seen people on this forums saying that if the netcode is not good that they will not buy it day one or new.

I don't think that the nerf of one character (or special attack for this matter) will determine the fate of KOF XIII in terms of the points you listed earlier. If a character is truly overpowered the character will be banned in tournaments. The barrier that KOF XIII has to face is marketing and hype factor, which we know SNKP will not play a major part of. It's more up to the players who will pick up the game and the websites that promote it.

As of now KOF XII has had the most sales since the mid 90's and not by much, which is actually bad (200k about). Most of the current successful fighting games have sales of 2 million+. Nerfing a drop kick is not going to boost sales 10 times. So it would take a near miracle for KOF XIII to be as successful as you described. At this point it'll depend on us pushing it, like getting it to EVO on stream before it comes out.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: May 03, 2011, 12:50:24 AM »

I don't think that the nerf of one character (or special attack for this matter) will determine the fate of KOF XIII in terms of the points you listed earlier. If a character is truly overpowered the character will be banned in tournaments. The barrier that KOF XIII has to face is marketing and hype factor, which we know SNKP will not play a major part of. It's more up to the players who will pick up the game and the websites that promote it.

As of now KOF XII has had the most sales since the mid 90's and not by much, which is actually bad (200k about). Most of the current successful fighting games have sales of 2 million+. Nerfing a drop kick is not going to boost sales 10 times. So it would take a near miracle for KOF XIII to be as successful as you described. At this point it'll depend on us pushing it, like getting it to EVO on stream before it comes out.

I strongly disagree with you on the marketing/hype point, we know SNKP is not going to be involved on this but we've seen Ignition do a ton of advertising, marketing and propaganda for KOF XII and they game was still a flop (we both agree on the flop). At the end of the day it all comes down to they game being good and balanced, now that will make your latter point true and will encourage players to pick up the game and push it and promote it.

If for you sales is the only factor in what makes a game a flop or not and I can tell you that Aracana Heart 3 is no where 2 million+ sales but it will be a part of EVO 2011 someway (I can't say how). Which IMO is more valuable than selling 1 million copies and having no type of exposure at major events.

@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: May 03, 2011, 02:24:09 AM »
I strongly disagree with you on the marketing/hype point, we know SNKP is not going to be involved on this but we've seen Ignition do a ton of advertising, marketing and propaganda for KOF XII and they game was still a flop (we both agree on the flop). At the end of the day it all comes down to they game being good and balanced, now that will make your latter point true and will encourage players to pick up the game and push it and promote it.

If for you sales is the only factor in what makes a game a flop or not and I can tell you that Aracana Heart 3 is no where 2 million+ sales but it will be a part of EVO 2011 someway (I can't say how). Which IMO is more valuable than selling 1 million copies and having no type of exposure at major events.

Ignition did an okay job on marketing and it did increase sales since the game actually sold more copies than any previous KOF since the mid 90s. The game flopped because it was a bad game, not because one character had an overpowered, but not game breaking move. You said to be successful the game needs to be good and balanced. XII is one of the most balanced KOF but is just not a good game, with bad netcode. XIII IS already a good game with being one of the most balanced KOFs to date even in it's current state. If it wasn't I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be playing it now (just like how we stopped playing XII 5-6 months after release). Also I don't think you would have bought the board and game if it was bad / too unbalanced.

Marketing would've worked better to get the XII mainstream if the game system was as good as XIII.

I honestly don't see AH3 as a success yet. Most large tournaments are either not hosting the game, barely have enough or not enough participants. They are in the official Evo line up, but yet to be determined if it will have many participants. I'm pretty sure they're able to get in the Evo due to relations with Aksys and dealing with a somewhat drama-less community (unlikes KOF forums in SRK). I think we've already pretty much solved this part since the KOF thread at SRK pretty much died, and Dream Cancel has started up, still going strong and being recognized.

Back to what I was saying before, all we're talking about is Raiden's dropkick and it's not going change whether the game will be successful or not. I never even said that they shouldn't balance it, I would like to see it actually. But you can be sure that if they're going to balance that, there's a high chance that other characters will get hit by the nerf stick like the characters you main - K', Kula, Elizabeth.

I would say the thing about what MK9 has is due mainly to marketing. That tournament with the $21K pot is actually run by PDP, but sponsored by Nether Realms. The tournament was announced before the game was even released for marketing (getting high level players to try to play the game seriously). I'm sure if a month before console release, SNKP ran a $21k pot tournament that there would be larger amount of attention. I'm pretty sure Aksys realized this as well since they're throwing in $5k and $1k for Blazblue and AH3 at Revelations.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:34:22 AM by Ash »

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: May 03, 2011, 03:21:43 AM »
MVC2 in the top 10? That's madness XD

No surprises in the top 3, and well, at least KOF XIII is still there.

I don't see it -_-

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #1931 on: May 03, 2011, 04:19:34 AM »
MVC2 in the top 10? That's madness XD

No surprises in the top 3, and well, at least KOF XIII is still there.

I don't see it -_-

インカムランキング

ビデオゲーム部門 ランキング
1位 機動戦士ガンダム エクストリームバーサス<バンダイナムコゲームス> / 266.7 pts.
2位 鉄拳6 BLOODLINE REBELLION <バンダイナムコゲームス> / 245.5 pts.
3位 BLAZBLUE CONTINUUM SHIFT II <アークシステムワークス> / 229.8 pts.
4位 SUPER STREET FIGHTER Ⅳ ARCADE  EDITION<カプコン> / 156.2 pts.
5位 Virtua Fighter5 FINAL SHOWDOWN  <セガ> / 153.3 pts.
6位 アルカナハート3 <エクサム> / 95.9 pts.
7位 MELTY BLOOD Actress Again Current Code <エコールソフトウェア> /86.7 pts.
8位 STREET FIGHTER III 3rd STRIKE <カプコン> / 85.3 pts.
9位 THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII <SNK PLAYMORE> / 78.4 pts.
10位  MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2<カプコン> / 72.3 pts.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: May 03, 2011, 04:20:42 AM »
is #1 still that gundam game?
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #1933 on: May 03, 2011, 04:28:40 AM »
Yeah

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: May 03, 2011, 05:40:31 AM »
wtf mam, they making some good ass money with the gundam game. same for tekken.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!