Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread  (Read 557457 times)

Nikolai VolKOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2040 on: May 16, 2011, 04:20:59 AM »
I didn't really know where to post this, but today I stumble upon a show in The Escapist about Game developing and while I was watching the earlier episodes some of them really made me think about KOF and SNKP.

I strongly recommend to check this series, is really good, but for the sake of talking about KOF13 and how to bring the game to new audiences. I think this video says some things that could make KOF13 easier for people to jump to it with out sacrificing Depth.

Check it out: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2454-Easy-Games

That was really cool. Thanks for the link, watched it 3 times already ;)

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:56 AM »
The reason why I brought up that Video wasn't because of the companies it was talking about.

I was thinking more on how SNKP can make the game more accessible yet have depth. Maybe I have the idea fresh because of yesterdays ON Podcast in which Giby and Gunsmith were jokingly saying KOF is for MEN, because SF4 and Marvel per say are accessible and easy. Well that wasn't exactly their words and I don't want to put words on their mouth, but it was what made me realize something. What if SNKP decided for the first time to do a proper tutorial of KOF mechanics? I mean, ones you pop up the game, the game ask you "Is this your first time playing KOF games?" if you click yes then it will ask you "Do you want to learn the mechanics of the game?" and then throw you to a tutorial like game.

BlazBlue CS did something great, but it was "optional" and most people didn't even know it was there until someone pointed it out. But the problem of BBCS tutorial is that isn't completely fun. I mean, you get to hear Rachel saying you are a low life and you are useless, which brings some giggles here and there, but only to the people who knows the character. Dunno what kind of reaction people, who is their first time playing the game, will have.

Something else, BBCS doesn't have any "rewards" ones you finish the tutorial IIRC. Something that SF4 did right, by giving you new quotes for your ID etc. I know... they are useless, but they're incentives to make you want to try or at least make you feel you won something, even though ones you know what you won you will be disappointed.

Having a tutorial which is fun and rewarding will be a huge step helping step to make people new to KOF be less afraid of playing the game. A simple mode is not the right solutions I think, it's a great solution for people will play the game ones or twice. But it's not a solution for possible new fans/tournament adversaries.

I bring this to KOF13 topic, because KOF13 is a KOF game, it has all what you will expect on a KOF game and more. So making a tutorial that teaches the mechanics and heck, even the story, could really make it easier for people to get interested in KOF in the US and make the community bigger.

But then again this is just something I thought while I was watching that video, which is amazing. So sorry for my poor written thoughts.

Good link DarKaoZ. I think XIII hits a lot of the points that what the article says "makes a good, accessible game." Easy, probably not so much, but it's not always SNK boss hard. A few things the video mentioned about tutorial is probably where the game might fall short. But it's points like this where I think the community can fill in the blank. Similar to Dandy J's SF-to-KOF tutorial vids, and even the Technical References for XIII, there's a lot that can be done from the fan end of things to show (or showcase) the game and all the possibilities.

There's also an article here about SF4 that's worth a look (not bashing because of the game, but a little because of the community).
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1167033p1.html

First of all, that article is a good read, which brings me to the point I quoted your text for.

I know the community is a big part of it and it's done to fill the gaps, but really, if SNKP wants to get new people, these people will not go to the communities to search and learn all what it wasn't told in the game. To start this kind of tutorials NEEDS to be in the game, that way the newcomers can just put the game, try the tutorial, learn the game and earn something in the game as a bonus. Giving incentive to try harder and making them engaged in the fighting system. Sure this isn't just SNKP problem, all fighters have this problem. But who needs more help to make their community bigger several countries is SNKP atm. And this will also make KOF13 the KOF to get first.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:35:27 AM by DarKaoZ »

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 17, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
I don't know what Frionel meant when he said "very very soon"... ¬_¬

Another emulated neo geo game for Wii and nothing about XIII... this is really depressing. All this silence doesn't make sense at all.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 17, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
keep talking out of your ass.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 17, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »
Congratulations are in order for Luther. He's the first person to be banned for trolling at Dream Cancel! What an honor!

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 17, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »
But how will we be able to give him shit in the event of a console announcement?  :(

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 17, 2011, 07:07:20 PM »
His name will go down in history... lol...
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 17, 2011, 08:19:26 PM »
But how will we be able to give him shit in the event of a console announcement?  :(

By literally giving him shit? =/

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 17, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
Congratulations are in order for Luther. He's the first person to be banned for trolling at Dream Cancel! What an honor!

I think Banning him was too much, you should had just deleted his post and if he keeps doing that keep deleting them. I think that would had been more frustrating for him.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 17, 2011, 08:53:18 PM »
He's had multiple warnings and chose to ignore them.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 17, 2011, 09:09:58 PM »
But how will we be able to give him shit in the event of a console announcement?  :(

What happened to the "major sad news for the month of April?"  Conveniently he failed to mention that that prediction didn't come true.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:08:57 PM by Kane317 »

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 17, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »
I'm glad to see Luther banned. Even if he is Mr.Kukino, Nona or anyone related to SNKPlaymore stuff, hasn't the right to enter here and insult all the comunity only because people don't want to belive him. Even if his information about XIII console release is true, I don't have any respect to him.

And I don't belive him when he says that Frionel spoke too soon and something that Frionel didn't know happened and that's why KOF XIII will be not released out. Frionel suposedly has source inside KOF XIII develope team, so his source probably should know if something happened or not. But anyway, I'm not going to relax until an official announcement...

And because all this waiting is frustating I will fly to Paris, to play the arcade. And maybe I will be able to meet that Frionel.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:53:47 PM by Shiranui_ninja »
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 17, 2011, 10:40:14 PM »
I think Banning him was too much, you should had just deleted his post and if he keeps doing that keep deleting them. I think that would had been more frustrating for him.

Naw man by looking at his previous post he was asking for it. Like Cam said he gave him multiple warnings.

lol "mindless sheeps"

What if SNKP decided for the first time to do a proper tutorial of KOF mechanics? I mean, ones you pop up the game, the game ask you "Is this your first time playing KOF games?" if you click yes then it will ask you "Do you want to learn the mechanics of the game?" and then throw you to a tutorial like game.

I know the community is a big part of it and it's done to fill the gaps, but really, if SNKP wants to get new people, these people will not go to the communities to search and learn all what it wasn't told in the game. To start this kind of tutorials NEEDS to be in the game, that way the newcomers can just put the game, try the tutorial, learn the game and earn something in the game as a bonus. Giving incentive to try harder and making them engaged in the fighting system. Sure this isn't just SNKP problem, all fighters have this problem. But who needs more help to make their community bigger several countries is SNKP atm. And this will also make KOF13 the KOF to get first.

Yea man i see where you coming from. Teaching people the game mechanics in KOF. The Variety of jumps, Rolls, and etc.... Once people finish the tutorial they can realize how unique and technical the gameplay in KOF is compared to other standard 2DF's. Then hopefully it would help newcomers gain more interest in the game.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 17, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »
I'm glad to see Luther banned. Even if he is Mr.Kukino, Nona or anyone related to SNKPlaymore stuff, hasn't the right to enter here and insult all the comunity only because people don't want to belive him. Even if his information about XIII console release is true, I don't have any respect to him.

And I don't belive him when he says that Frionel spoke too soon and something that Frionel didn't know happened and that's why KOF XIII will be not released out. Frionel suposedly has source inside KOF XIII develope team, so his source probably should know if something happened or not. But anyway, I'm not going to relax until an official announcement...

And because all this waiting is frustating I will fly to Paris, to play the arcade. And maybe I will be able to meet that Frionel.

He wasn't anyone from SNKP. His IP showed he was from Italy.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 18, 2011, 12:56:36 AM »

He wasn't anyone from SNKP. His IP showed he was from Italy.

Well, 70% of this forum is digging the info from a guy who cames from france, so the fact that he was from Italy isn't really a good justification

Still, you can see his his bs from far away, he said that even TW wouldn't be released, only to say later that he told us that TW would be the last game.

sigh

Waifu Material