Dream Cancel Forum

News:

New to the forums? Introduce yourself HERE!

Garou: Mark of the Wolves Thread - Everything you need to know

Started by Nocturnal, July 28, 2010, 06:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giby

That's from an old article I (maybe TRIEU) put up on snk-capcom.com. I think we put it up 2-3 years ago.
www.snk-capcom.com
www.arcadeshock.com

jedpossum

Garou Special would of been hype, a lot of the returning characters would of gotten a lot more people interested in the game.

Raiden and Duck King were only two I knew were gonna return.

steamwolf

Quote from: marchefelix on April 11, 2011, 09:36:36 PM
It seems DC likes RB2 more than Garou...

Makes me sad  :(

But each to his own.

There's plenty of people here that like Garou as I do myself. I just prefer RB2 personally. You outta come play with us! But I was actually thinking about planning something with Giby. Like a Fatal Fury weekend or something sometime. Still in the works though!

PureYeti

yea drop your neoragex and start playing some real opponents  :)

marchefelix

Quote from: steamwolf on April 25, 2011, 07:23:23 PM
Quote from: marchefelix on April 11, 2011, 09:36:36 PM
It seems DC likes RB2 more than Garou...

Makes me sad  :(

But each to his own.

There's plenty of people here that like Garou as I do myself. I just prefer RB2 personally. You outta come play with us! But I was actually thinking about planning something with Giby. Like a Fatal Fury weekend or something sometime. Still in the works though!

I suck hard at RB2.  :(

I wish I had a controller. I can only do so much playing with a keyboard.

jinxhand

Quote from: jedpossum on April 25, 2011, 03:03:30 AM
Garou Special would of been hype, a lot of the returning characters would of gotten a lot more people interested in the game.

Raiden and Duck King were only two I knew were gonna return.

Hopefully with this KOFXIII buzz, and if the sales are looking great, we should expect to see it in the (hopefully not so distant) future...

Seems like that's the next game most players/fans want anyway after a brand new KOFXIII... No real reason to work on XIV... Crank the major titles out with love, like NRS did with MK9...
I'm on FightCade!!!
www.soundcloud.com/jinxhand
www.youtube.com/jinxhand

nilcam

I've played Garou casually in the past. This weekend, I went to a Smash meet-up because I heard there were some open-minded players there. One of them is a Garou player. I came home, bought the game for 360 and have spent a bit of time reading this thread and playing. I understand the love more than I ever have. I've always liked the game but, now that I'm playing it less like a Fatal Fury and exploring the mechanics, it's damned amazing.

marchefelix

Quote from: nilcam on May 02, 2011, 06:36:36 AM
I've played Garou casually in the past. This weekend, I went to a Smash meet-up because I heard there were some open-minded players there. One of them is a Garou player. I came home, bought the game for 360 and have spent a bit of time reading this thread and playing. I understand the love more than I ever have. I've always liked the game but, now that I'm playing it less like a Fatal Fury and exploring the mechanics, it's damned amazing.

I may have misunderstood you, but did you say Garou is on the 360?!

PureYeti

nilcam

It's available through XBLA. I hear the netcode is awful.

Giby

360 version is great to train on, but the online play is possible the worst SNK online next to KOFXII.
www.snk-capcom.com
www.arcadeshock.com

marchefelix

Way to dampen my spirits, guys  :(

But it's not your fault, so I forgive you.

purplecity

Nocturnal you are a diamond in the dirt - thank you for all the time you have put into converting your experience into knowledge for other players, it really is appreciated ! i have learnt so much from this thread and your youtube channel. far more than years of jamming with my dreamcast !

Questions regarding Motion Storing:
the links to shoryuken.com on this topic don't seem to work, and on reading many many pages from the Garou threads there i couldn't find any answer to this...

recently on GGPO i was beaten by a Jenet player who consistently broke her  ;dn ;df ;fd ;d (on hit, midscreen) into the  ;dn+ ;d Harrier Bee very low to the ground, and i could not get it to connect in AES training myself, even with a short hop forward and the fastest fingers i could muster. i believed that an "instant" Harrier Bee was one cancelled from a backdash.

Today i tried again, and eventually found that if performing a superjump with Jenet, pressing just " ;d" a MOMENT after you input  ;dn;uf  with strict timing the  ;dn+ ;d Harrier Bee comes out at ground level, presumably because the  ;dn input was stored from the superjump motion and serves two functions, directly as a result of the game storing the motions. how lovely ! also i found that Dong can divekick very low with the same technique.

So my question(s) is(are), does this mean that the Harrier Bee then has superjump attributes, and is this beneficial in any way?

i am aware that characters such as Hotaru / FireFly  greatly benefit from similar "TigerKnee" versions of their air moves, but are there other examples of Motion Storing (other than TK) that are not as obvious, perhaps situational / rarely seen / discussed ?

Useful nuances to the engine i find very interesting, thank you to anyone that can help.

<3 MOW

Nocturnal

Quote from: purplecity on May 21, 2011, 11:26:35 PM
Nocturnal you are a diamond in the dirt - thank you for all the time you have put into converting your experience into knowledge for other players, it really is appreciated ! i have learnt so much from this thread and your youtube channel. far more than years of jamming with my dreamcast !

Questions regarding Motion Storing:
the links to shoryuken.com on this topic don't seem to work, and on reading many many pages from the Garou threads there i couldn't find any answer to this...

recently on GGPO i was beaten by a Jenet player who consistently broke her  ;dn ;df ;fd ;d (on hit, midscreen) into the  ;dn+ ;d Harrier Bee very low to the ground, and i could not get it to connect in AES training myself, even with a short hop forward and the fastest fingers i could muster. i believed that an "instant" Harrier Bee was one cancelled from a backdash.

Today i tried again, and eventually found that if performing a superjump with Jenet, pressing just " ;d" a MOMENT after you input  ;dn,  ;uf  with strict timing the  ;dn+ ;d Harrier Bee comes out at ground level, presumably because the  ;dn input was stored from the superjump motion and serves two functions, directly as a result of the game storing the motions. how lovely ! also i found that Dong can divekick very low with the same technique.

So my question(s) is(are), does this mean that the Harrier Bee then has superjump attributes, and is this beneficial in any way?

i am aware that characters such as Hotaru / FireFly  greatly benefit from similar "TigerKnee" versions of their air moves, but are there other examples of Motion Storing (other than TK) that are not as obvious, perhaps situational / rarely seen / discussed ?

Useful nuances to the engine i find very interesting, thank you to anyone that can help.

<3 MOW

I believe Shoruken is doing an update on their website atm. Links should work once they restore the site hopefully. The only thing that super jump adds is slight faster start up compared to a normal jump. Besides that it's actually riskier using because you can't just defend when you super jump. As for motion storing it can be used in many situations really. You can use certain option selects with motion storing. For example lets say with Hotaru in a wake up situation. You can do ;dn ;db ;bk + ;a + ;d as the opponent is getting up, which gives you a stand ;a only. This gives her an option select on wake up. What happens if it hits then all you have to do is press ;b to activate her ;dn ;db ;bk + ;b reflector to combo from a stand ;a. That's just one option select but I think it gives you an idea of what motion storing can be used for. Same goes for option select guard cancelling. Do the motion into ;bk or ;db. If you just defend then just press the button to active the special/super. I hope that answers your question.
It's also very helpful for the more complex combos in the game.  
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JaimeDL = Garou MOTW Videos

http://www.twitch.tv/jaimedl = Garou MOTW streaming from time to time.