Author Topic: Buffering  (Read 9256 times)

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
  • Achieve the impossible~
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
Buffering
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »
Buffering is an important part to combos in the KOF series. It allows you to save previous inputs for use in later inputs, making many combos far easier, and making certain combos that were previously impossible, possible.

An example would be Terry Bogard's simple 2C 3C 6 236D.

This works by saving 2C 3C 6 as 236, while also doing the inputs. Directly after said inputs, 236D will take the buffered 236 input as 236236D, allowing you to execute a combo directly into his DM without much effort. Without buffering, doing 2C 3C 236236D would be extremely difficult, nearly impossible.

Another example would be King's typical Maxmode activation (2002UM), which is fairly difficult without buffering a bit.

With buffering : 6C 3D 214 BC
Without buffering : 5C 3D BC 63214C
MBAA: H-Aoko
MBAC: Hisui & Kohaku
LB2: S-Akari
NGBC: DIO & Kaede
KOFXIII: Yuri / King / DuoLon

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Re: Buffering
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »
Numeric notation hurts my brain.

2C 3C 6 236D = d.C, df+C, f, qcf+D, for those challenged like me.

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »
dude I thought I was the only one!! I know what they mean but it's like my brain goes aaaaaah!!! LOL
" you fight well in the old style"

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »
I personally like numbers better, but I am in accounting after all lol...
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
dude I thought I was the only one!! I know what they mean but it's like my brain goes aaaaaah!!! LOL

I'm constantly thankful that my new laptop has a numpad on it. I'm a graphic designer so I never use the numpad so it's constantly a mystery to me. Also, if a move is 6A and I'm facing right, shit's wrong. f+A is always the same since it's in context to the character.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 08:30:09 PM »
I personally like numbers better, but I am in accounting after all lol...

Pros and Cons.  The good thing about numbers, it's universal so it helps when you're talking to non-English speakers. The bad thing about the numbers, it's character side specific (1p) and hence the qcf notations are more descriptive.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:31:02 PM »
Both systems make sense to me.  I prefer letters since they tend to take up less space (aside from some weird motions like pretzel or K9999's freak arm), even though I think numbers are objectively better since they don't require a separate legend to understand and aren't restricted to common movements.
I'm constantly thankful that my new laptop has a numpad on it. I'm a graphic designer so I never use the numpad so it's constantly a mystery to me. Also, if a move is 6A and I'm facing right, shit's wrong. f+A is always the same since it's in context to the character.
Come on, man.  That's like saying you can't understand 360 in number notation because your stick can't reach the "0" position.  6 means forward, not right.
Old man/bad player

Ash Riot

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
You get used to it, as there's only so many variations of special and super inputs.  Eventually you get to the point where you're not staring at every single number, and figuring out which direction it is.  Also, the number system is easier to type out for me, as abbreviations and notations are inconsistent from person to person.

Example: crouching D=cr. D=c.D=cD=d+D

I've seen all that posted on the same thread once.  It's pretty annoying.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:40:11 PM by Ash Riot »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:22:25 PM »
Come on, man.  That's like saying you can't understand 360 in number notation because your stick can't reach the "0" position.  6 means forward, not right.

You just "come on'd" the admin!  You're going to be on a careful watch hehe j/k =)

qcf/hcf/ notation has been used for 13+ years in KOF english speaking forums/mailing lists.  I agree we need to standardize the d.B/c.B/d+B stuff but that's just a matter of time.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 11:37:22 PM »
Come on, man.  That's like saying you can't understand 360 in number notation because your stick can't reach the "0" position.  6 means forward, not right.

Sorry, dude, I've never gotten used to numeric notation. I always have to stop and think about what's being said.

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:03:05 AM »
Games you play, country origin, and amount of communication with foreigners often dictates what style you use.
Buffering topic is dead. :(

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:26 AM »
Come on, man.  That's like saying you can't understand 360 in number notation because your stick can't reach the "0" position.  6 means forward, not right.

Sorry, dude, I've never gotten used to numeric notation. I always have to stop and think about what's being said.

We're old man haha, we gotta stop and think about it (me too).

Games you play, country origin, and amount of communication with foreigners often dictates what style you use.
Buffering topic is dead. :(

Buttons can also be buffered like Ash's ABCD or Shen's CABC.  Basically you can press the first three buttons as fast as you like, and just press the last to finish it (Shen can do CAB, dash slightly, C).  There, thread moves on.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »
I've noticed that in most videos Kyo's aerial Orochinagi is done after rdp+k. Does this mean that can be performed by: rdp+k, b, hcf+p?

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 05:00:08 AM »
Nilcam, I wouldn't doubt it. It seems like something that can be cancel'd with a buffer very easily.

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 05:34:23 AM »
I've noticed that in most videos Kyo's aerial Orochinagi is done after rdp+k. Does this mean that can be performed by: rdp+k, b, hcf+p?

I always input that as qcb x2 + B, hcf + P. I know that's technically more motions, but for some reason it makes it much easier for me.