Author Topic: Buffering  (Read 9340 times)

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
Re: Buffering
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 05:45:47 AM »
Come on, man.  That's like saying you can't understand 360 in number notation because your stick can't reach the "0" position.  6 means forward, not right.

Sorry, dude, I've never gotten used to numeric notation. I always have to stop and think about what's being said.
Not being used to the number notations is understandable (it took me about 2 or 3 years before I was as comfortable with them as I was with descriptive motions).  What I was "come on'd" was the implication that the number notation is wrong if you're on p2 side.  Like, the character specific threads on this forum all use arrow notations, and everyone seems to get that a right arrow isn't really right, it's forward.  It's the same idea, only (IMO) less confusing because you have to mentally convert numbers or descriptive motions into actual stick movements, whereas arrows are already showing the stick movements to you (I know this sounds like a silly distinction, but I can't count how many times I was getting frustrated in challenge modes for games like Blazblue or MvC3 because my specials weren't coming out properly, only to remember that the game doesn't switch its arrow notations when you switch sides).

On the topic of buffering, though, I've got a question.  Is there any surefire way to clear the input buffer to avoid accidentally getting moves that you didn't want?  Like, hypothetically, if I want to do qcf+B, (DC) qcf+A with a character who also has a qcfx2+A DM, it there a way to make sure that the DM doesn't come out by accident aside from just trying to delay a bit between the motions?

Or, alternatively, is there a way of stopping a special from coming out even if you did the motion for it?  Like, if I want to use cr.B, s.A, (hit confirm) qcfx2+A with a character who also has a qcf+A move, is there a way to buffer the first qcf before the s.A without getting the special by mistake? This is probably the more likely situation.  I know in MotW you can use qcf+AD and only s.A will come out, so the above string could be done as cr.B, qcf+AD, (hit confirm) qcf+A, but I don't recall that working in any KOF.

I've noticed that in most videos Kyo's aerial Orochinagi is done after rdp+k. Does this mean that can be performed by: rdp+k, b, hcf+p?

I always input that as qcb x2 + B, hcf + P. I know that's technically more motions, but for some reason it makes it much easier for me.
Couldn't you also do qcbx2+B, f+P?  I'm pretty sure qcbx2~f is an alternate input for qcb,hcf (at least it works in 2002UM).
Old man/bad player

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 06:17:11 AM »
I've noticed that in most videos Kyo's aerial Orochinagi is done after rdp+k. Does this mean that can be performed by: rdp+k, b, hcf+p?

I always input that as qcb x2 + B, hcf + P. I know that's technically more motions, but for some reason it makes it much easier for me.

Or simply qcb x2~f+P explained in the Systems/Gameplay thread.  So in theory: rdp+K, qcb~f+P should work although the rdp+K gives it plenty of time to be manually inputted.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 07:43:10 AM »

I just do that shit raw, rdp + b, qcb, hcf + P.

As far as numeric and letter notation, it depends on the game. For KOF, I prefer letters, for Melty Blood, Guilty Gear or Arcana Heart type games, I like numbers.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
@omageryuji: That comment was just me being silly. A friend of mine once told me about trying to learn Tekken with a friend who knew how to play and the dude was actually speaking in numeric. He was saying stuff like you have to 6C that which confused my friend who was player 2.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »
Oh, sorry, I can be pretty dense about jokes *laughs* .  That's odd about using numeric when speaking, though...or with Tekken, for that matter (aren't the button inputs usually called 1,2,3,4 in that series?).
Old man/bad player

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
My favorite buffer has always been Goro 98 [Near opponent] 63214C,3C,63214C. Probably because it's the first buffer/shortcut I learned and I was like 'What?! you can do that?! OMFG!"
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »
On the topic of buffering, though, I've got a question.  Is there any surefire way to clear the input buffer to avoid accidentally getting moves that you didn't want?  Like, hypothetically, if I want to do qcf+B, (DC) qcf+A with a character who also has a qcfx2+A DM, it there a way to make sure that the DM doesn't come out by accident aside from just trying to delay a bit between the motions?

If the start of that qcf+B immediately  hit-confirms, the input can be done as qcf+B, A. After B is pressing quickly tap A. In kof XIII, not all characters can buffer two moves into one input outside of Hyper drive.

So far, I know the characters that can buffer particulars moves outside of HD are:

Yuri, Ash, Terry, and maybe Iori.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »
Ah, nice.  What about a way to do qcb+B, (DC) hcf+B with no chance of getting qcb+B, (SC) qcb,hcf+B?  This was something that I think I came across in 2002 with Mature (trying to do qcb+B,hcf+B loops in BC mode)...doesn't really apply to her in XIII since she lost Decide, but it'd still be good to know a safer way of doing the input.
Old man/bad player

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
  • Achieve the impossible~
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 10:06:59 PM »
I just do that shit raw, rdp + b, qcb, hcf + P.

As far as numeric and letter notation, it depends on the game. For KOF, I prefer letters, for Melty Blood, Guilty Gear or Arcana Heart type games, I like numbers.
I do it the same way. It's easier for stuff like that without buffering, unless it's extremely tight in the cancel ranges.

I prefer numbers in general, prolly because the first fighting game I got decent at was MBAC / MBAA.

I still hate the "jab" / "strong" notation in SF. It's WAY HARDER TO READ and takes a big longer to type. It's such a waste.
MBAA: H-Aoko
MBAC: Hisui & Kohaku
LB2: S-Akari
NGBC: DIO & Kaede
KOFXIII: Yuri / King / DuoLon

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 11:03:38 PM »
In SF ppl just do jab=lp, strong=mp, fierce=fp etc.

One annoying thing for me in KOF98 and 2002 is with Iori or Chris doing cr.b, cr.a, into f+A. Sometimes a qcf+A comes out, hahaha.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 04:44:25 AM »
jab = one extra letter. strong = three extra letters. fierce = four extra letters. It's a waste of space when you can just do "LP" / "HK" / "MP" type of thing.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »
I just use JP, SP, FP, SK, FK, RK for capcom games <.<

One annoying thing for me in KOF98 and 2002 is with Iori or Chris doing cr.b, cr.a, into f+A. Sometimes a qcf+A comes out, hahaha.
I used to have that problem, but what I've been doing to get around it is either 1) if I'm poking when I'm already on offense, hold the stick at ;df during the crouching attacks so that I can roll to  ;fd without doing a qcf, or 2) if I'm poking when I was just blocking something first, do the light attacks from ;db, then release the stick so it goes to neutral and push it straight to  ;fd for the f+A.
Old man/bad player

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »
Having issues with 2(button) 6(button) means you're not resetting the stick to neutral.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
Few things I've had a problem with lately is doing a drag punch from down forward position or pretty much everything. With characters Terry in KoF, the timing for doing a standing C into a df.C is okay (though admittedly I've screwed it up in the heat of the moment.) What I have a problem doing is maybe a super, or even a qcf, qcb motion becomes difficult to get out. My greatest challenge is just holding the stick too hard. Feels like my hand is frozen in the motions and I can't do it.

The way I do things like Standing C, df.C, hcb B+D for Maxima is I tap down forward and let go. I quickly do the half-circle back and it'll connect. That works for Maxima, but things like Terry's burning knuckle or power wave have weird timing. What I'm trying to ask is: What's the best way to get a df.C into any follow up? Is letting the stick return to neutral the best?

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
What's the best way to get a df.C into any follow up?
Uh, 2C 3C and you can just do 6C for a projectile, or you can do 6236D, or maybe even ~8C depending on how long 2C was held.
Returning to neutral isn't that great unless depending on the motion.

There's a glitch (or something) that disables inputs while you hold a button down. If you're going to do something like 2C 6B and don't want to reset it to neutral, hold C until you move the stick to 6. Not sure how relevant it is to KOFXIII, as I've never actually touched it so far, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't have been removed.