Author Topic: do you have a code of honor when playing games?  (Read 6434 times)

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
do you have a code of honor when playing games?
« on: July 19, 2011, 03:15:42 AM »
i try to live up to it as much as i can mainly because i wouldn't want any of this stuff happening to me.

when i play fighting games

1. i refuse to use infinites though a few of them think that they aren't that bad i find them to be the cheapest thing in a fighting game even if the are rather hard to pull off

2.no rage quitting

3. no shit talking(its fine with friends or if the person deserves it)

4. always be a good sport

and pretty much in shooting games just no glitching or camping

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Re: do you have a code of honor when playing games?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:47:34 AM »
I agree with your whole post except for infinites. I don't have the reflexes to pull those off.

I never talk shit unless someone starts being bitchy about losing.

The rule I need to add: Always play at my best level.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:41:35 AM »
I agree with all... Definitely play to your fullest, while keeping good sportsmanship... Friendly smack-talk is aight to me, but that's as far as it will go... Damn straight there won't be any rage-quitting... I'm paranoid of that stuff man... Sometimes I message the person letting them know I didn't pull...

Well, as far as infinites go, if I happen to do some, 3 loops at the max, and finish with a practical combo... I'll only do the sub-zero infinite freeze fatality though, I will admit that...

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 05:03:37 AM »
Basically all of what Xxenace said and what nilcam said about infinites.

When the other player is new or not that good i hold back a bit or play with characters i usually don't use.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:12:53 AM »
Those are all great. I'm not really opposed to shit-talking or infinites, but I certainly won't do that all the time. Rage-quitting never made sense to me, as there's always a chance to will, even in slim conditions.

Not sure if this is one; it's been called more suicidal instead of honorable, but if I ever dizzy my opponent, I often let him recover. I know it's my right to take advantage of the situation, but doing that could be like fighting a guy whose stepped away from his controller or stick because of something. My weird sense of fair play.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 05:23:42 AM »
I used to not attack dizzied characters and, when the other player inevitably dizzied my character, I would go all extreme rushdown on them.

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:19:24 AM »
Aint got one, if I'm playing a fighting game I'm gonna fuck a ***** up and maybe talk a little trash. If I'm playing someone in marvel they better expect me to hit them with a ROM, if I'm playing somone in MvC3 they better expect me to respect nothing they do and fuck em up, if I'm playing 98UM please believe I'm gonna be lame with some EX Geese. Personally I find honor codes weak as hell and insulting when it comes to stuff like this, that's just me and my background in games talking >.>

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
In the game, if it's not explicitly banned beforehand, I'm not going to hold myself back from doing it.  I might play around with non-main characters against weaker players to keep things interesting, but otherwise, it seems kind of silly to hold myself back arbitrarily.

Outside of the game, I'm a good sport, and I usually limit my trash talk to obviously tongue-in-cheek stuff with the other player right next to me.  No rage quitting either, since that's just so dumb...take your damn losses, learn from them, and get better.
Old man/bad player

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
  • Achieve the impossible~
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 02:50:33 PM »
Wait what's honor.

Only thing I won't do is talk down to people who're legit trying to learn it, and leave games.
MBAA: H-Aoko
MBAC: Hisui & Kohaku
LB2: S-Akari
NGBC: DIO & Kaede
KOFXIII: Yuri / King / DuoLon

Dark Geese

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
For me it depends on the scenario:

1. If I am at a tournament, I play 100% in the tournament, outside of the tournament all I am doing is scouting out my opponents, so I do not play 100%. If I am training someone then I am not going play 100% because if I do I'm not teaching them, I'm playing to win. Playing to win vs. playng to teach is a different mentality, things go a lot faster if you are playing to win vs. playing to teach someone. I slow things down intentionally when playing someone to teach so that they can see things used consistently and then pick them up from constant repitition.

2. Agreed no shit talking unless the person has earned that right from me, then I may shit talk them while I'm defeating them because they have earned my wrath!

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
About the infinites

It depends on what infinite we are talking about

If are those where you just repeat the same move 10x times, then not, if is more a sequences of moves being repeated, then I had no problem

Waifu Material

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »
In fighting games:

1. I don't taunt, until someone taunts me. (Exception: Garou, I love to taunt after KO in this game, specially with the special taunts.)

2. If the game lets me do a hit after KO (SF4, MvC3) I tend to dash back after the KO hit.

3. I don't rage quit, ever.

4. I always play the fullest, in casuals, tournaments, with new people to fighting games. I don't like to lower down my game for other people. Besides that way it's more fun, you learn more also.

5. No mic online, unless they are friendly matches.

6. If I had fun with the match, won or lost, I send a message saying so.

7. In a fighting game, I play story/arcade mode in the hardest difficulty always to practice.

8. I always play and try to learn all the characters moveset in 2D fighters. Exception been 3D fighters, I can't learn all the moveset of all the characters. =(

3rd PF/FPS:

1. I tend to find spots where I can get the most people at, you can say I'm a camper.

2. I like to use snipers or semi-auto with scopes.

3. I can stay in a same spot for hrs and not kill, I just like to wait and do kills.

4. If I shoot, I try to hide myself after the shot, or just move to another spot and shoot from there.

5. Before dying, I like to throw a grenade, if I have one that is.

Can't think of more, but that should be enough.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 07:20:46 AM »
1. Try to be friendly, even if the other player is king of assholes.

2. If the game has different characters/classes, never pick the cheapest.

3. If other player asks for help, for example good build for character, then help him/her.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 05:51:20 AM »
I don't use lag-tactics unless the other guy is being an asshole/trolling. That's about it.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 10:48:13 PM »
1) always play up the level you are capable of regardless of opponent or situation ie. against a bad opponent or if facing a massive deficit
2) No online shennanigans (lag abuse, trolling, sending pissy messages, rage quitting etc.)
3)Always act dignified and resoectable 
That's about it for me
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".