Author Topic: new darkstalkers woot?  (Read 8320 times)

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: new darkstalkers woot?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »
First off, know that I'm a fan of Darkstalkers and that Street Fighter Alpha 2 is my favorite game in the SF series. With that out of the way: NO!

The Alpha series are fast and aggressive fighters and we know that Ono likes slow, sloppy fighters with stupid strong comeback mechanics. I don't expect their up to the task for either game.

Sadly, Capcom has learned nothing from the boom and crash of the genre in the 90s. I honestly feel they're business practices will hurt the fighting game genre in the long run. They keep reiterating and forcing fans to buy new disc-based titles and eventually the fans will be fed up, stop buying and Capcom will abandon the genre again, taking half of the community along with it. Fans of smaller fighters will be fine but the community as a whole will take a big hit.

I know where you are coming from, but I think Capcom has already hit the point of no return. I'm sure after this next round of games it will be the last straw for most people. It's all set up to come crashing down, all we need to do is wait.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 07:03:25 PM »
Isn't that kind of nilcam's point?  That Capcom is setting themselves up for a fall, so please don't have them drag down another good series along the way.

Although, I guess we should wait to see what they actually do with Darkstalkers before crying about it.  For one thing, they brought back 3S without any rebalancing (yet), so there is some precedent for them just rereleasing a classic without changes.  Secondly, they haven't said anything official about making new Darkstalkers or SFA games.  These little teasers might just be foreshadowing more characters from them showing up in UMvC3 or SFxT.
Old man/bad player

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 07:32:24 PM »
I just wish they make the new Darkstalkers with @ HiRes 2D sprites, something like KOF and with BB backgrounds.

I doubt that's gonna happen... Capcom is basically sticking with 3D graphics with 2D gameplay, unless its a rehash... So with that said perhaps they might make an HD rehash of the JPS2 port that had Dee in it... He was dope imo...

If they do decide to make it 2D, I'd be very surprise...

First off, know that I'm a fan of Darkstalkers and that Street Fighter Alpha 2 is my favorite game in the SF series. With that out of the way: NO!

The Alpha series are fast and aggressive fighters and we know that Ono likes slow, sloppy fighters with stupid strong comeback mechanics. I don't expect their up to the task for either game.

Sadly, Capcom has learned nothing from the boom and crash of the genre in the 90s. I honestly feel they're business practices will hurt the fighting game genre in the long run. They keep reiterating and forcing fans to buy new disc-based titles and eventually the fans will be fed up, stop buying and Capcom will abandon the genre again, taking half of the community along with it. Fans of smaller fighters will be fine but the community as a whole will take a big hit.

I know where you are coming from, but I think Capcom has already hit the point of no return. I'm sure after this next round of games it will be the last straw for most people. It's all set up to come crashing down, all we need to do is wait.

This is definitely Capcom's flaw... Where some companies still refuse to communicate with the scene, Capcom just keeps dumping "games", "refine" them, and selling the said refined version, and repeating the process with all of their other games... It happened to Resident Evil also. They released a regular version, then they sold the addon separately, then they have a version with both of them in it... Too much being dumped to the masses, and it takes a long time to be considered a complete game...

That business practice is hurting other franchises, too, like COD, Madden, and some other ones too... It's not hurting some over others, but there's still some damage done...

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
I think this practice is a bit less damaging for games like Madden since a lot of the fanbase only plays that game.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 08:25:20 PM »
This is definitely Capcom's flaw... Where some companies still refuse to communicate with the scene, Capcom just keeps dumping "games", "refine" them, and selling the said refined version, and repeating the process with all of their other games... It happened to Resident Evil also. They released a regular version, then they sold the addon separately, then they have a version with both of them in it... Too much being dumped to the masses, and it takes a long time to be considered a complete game...

That business practice is hurting other franchises, too, like COD, Madden, and some other ones too... It's not hurting some over others, but there's still some damage done...

I'm even hesitant to agree with "companies still refuse to communicate with the scene." Compared to Capcom sure, but current games like MK9 and KOFXIII to prove in many ways that companies will listen to fans. Capcom just takes the road of "series over sequels" way too often; with the upsurge of DLC and online fixes, should there even be a series of releases of essentially the same game? I don't think so.

What's odder is that Capcom is sort of doing now what KOF used to do. It'd be funny if they titled them by year: SF4: 2009, SF4: 2010, SF4: 2011. It's too bad SF4 will never have it's ST version; the next one could be called SSFIV:AE:T, but it won't be the version where fans will be satisfied and say "Right there! It's perfect; you can stop now."
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
I think this practice is a bit less damaging for games like Madden since a lot of the fanbase only plays that game.

I'm not so sure on that

let's change madden for PES or FIFA to fit my reality, lots of my friends who plays this at their core games, still play other things like COD or GTA, and I'm sure than in the USA must be the same, but with madden.

In our case, it could be almost the same, with the difference that we play all the games from the genre

Still, I could see your point.

Waifu Material

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »

I'm even hesitant to agree with "companies still refuse to communicate with the scene." Compared to Capcom sure, but current games like MK9 and KOFXIII to prove in many ways that companies will listen to fans. Capcom just takes the road of "series over sequels" way too often; with the upsurge of DLC and online fixes, should there even be a series of releases of essentially the same game? I don't think so.

What's odder is that Capcom is sort of doing now what KOF used to do. It'd be funny if they titled them by year: SF4: 2009, SF4: 2010, SF4: 2011. It's too bad SF4 will never have it's ST version; the next one could be called SSFIV:AE:T, but it won't be the version where fans will be satisfied and say "Right there! It's perfect; you can stop now."

I was referring to companies like Sega, who have great games that can easily come over to the states, but for some reason, even despite petitions and threads created for those particular games, they don't respond. Then there's games that they do bring to the states, but they don't really get as involved with the communities that play those games-- well outside of Sonic games anyway...