Author Topic: Iori (Flames) (Pre-release)  (Read 30724 times)

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
Re: Iori (Flames)
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 12:27:24 AM »
Though the hitstun seems a lot more deceptive than before.  But meh, I don't know crap.

Just hope he evolves further than random hop in move into cl.C into Rekkas.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2011, 12:30:57 AM »
So while it's on the table, is his hopping j.b.B crossup any different on Claw Iori? Does Claw's start up slower / require a higher jump / something? And for that matter, Robert's new Wallkick crossup is also very similiar... yet, in comparision, I barely see eiter of those 2 get as much use out of them as Cristina, who was using it more in line with what I've personally fought of Iori's in older KoFs.

Though the hitstun seems a lot more deceptive than before.  But meh, I don't know crap.

Really, if that's all we get out of him, might have well left him out, and just put NESTS Kyo by himself! :)

He looks like a combo-potential beast to me. He'll probably have to use different moves entirely, depending on if he wants to maxamize the efficiency of his meter useage.

Oh, and really wonder what EX Scumgale will be. A Damaging grapple? Simply better range? An attack rather than a throw, allowing it to combo easier?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:34:36 AM by SAB-CA »

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 02:22:14 AM »
So while it's on the table, is his hopping j.b.B crossup any different on Claw Iori? Does Claw's start up slower / require a higher jump / something? And for that matter, Robert's new Wallkick crossup is also very similiar... yet, in comparision, I barely see eiter of those 2 get as much use out of them as Cristina, who was using it more in line with what I've personally fought of Iori's in older KoFs.

The report I read suggested that Flame Iori's j4B (<-- I like that shortcut for it) has a bigger hitbox. Claimed it even hit Iori during his crB. But don't know if that's confirmed or not. It certainly looks like the same move.

To answer your question, I think that was partly due to Cristina's style of play, and partly because Flame Iori is just so much better at scoring hard knockdowns (those rekkas, hcb+K). This gives him much more opportunity to position his jump-ins and cross-ups than Claw Iori. Flame Iori also has projectiles to help keep his opponent where he wants them.

So, I mainly attribute it to play-style, rather than move properties. But it could very well be both.

(I don't really know about Robert. Although he can do his cross-up kick outside of a wall-jump, just fyi.)

milesw

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 04:26:50 AM »
満月の夜にまた会おうか!

My youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/mairusu1

CharREX

• New Challenger
  • Internet Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2011, 04:37:20 AM »
Floor hit technology with 98 Iori
 :(

Don't think that will work if they tech. (Like Daimon's ground grab?)
Undefeated online KOF player.

Bloom of the Wolf

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 07:34:52 AM »

Though the hitstun seems a lot more deceptive than before.  But meh, I don't know crap.

Really, if that's all we get out of him, might have well left him out, and just put NESTS Kyo by himself! :)

He looks like a combo-potential beast to me. He'll probably have to use different moves entirely, depending on if he wants to maxamize the efficiency of his meter useage.

Oh, and really wonder what EX Scumgale will be. A Damaging grapple? Simply better range? An attack rather than a throw, allowing it to combo easier?

Iori has never been reduced to simply random hop attack>cl.5C>rekkas and I sincerely doubt he ever will be. Why would he even have command normals (one of which is an amazing crossup), a command throw, supers, and now an EX movelist+HD mode?? In this game he even has cl.5B which "links" into cl.5C like in KOF XI as we've seen from the trial mode pre-game release preview screens.

And I'd probably put my money on EX Scum Gale being a 1-Frame command throw, maybe with better range/longer hitstun, as tends to be the trend.

Also, someone noted earlier that EX Rekkas(2) launched the opponent. 2nd hit of any of Iori's Rekka series always does this.

Floor hit technology with 98 Iori
 :(

Don't think that will work if they tech. (Like Daimon's ground grab?)

Pretty sure Iori's Rekkakens have rarely ever(never outside of like CVS2) been a techable down. Though Oniyaki and Ya Otome probably are. It seems a nice way to tack on a bit of extra damage to the end of a quick confirm in the corner, but I wonder if it'll work midscreen. Normally, I wouldn't be concerned but the slight distance away from the opponent after a midscreen Aoihana (x3) combined with the way the player had trouble with landing the EX Kototsuki after super...

Anyway, has anyone had a chance to breakdown the frontpage vid yet? Just skimming through extremely quickly I noticed that Scum Gale is still comboable from normals and such.
Maybe we'll see classic Iori's cl.5A or B>Kuzukaze into some really cool HD combos or get some Claw Iori type combos off of things like: cl.5B>cl.5C>Kototsuki>(Drivecancelled into) EX Command Grab>Dash>etc.

EDIT: Just saw EX Kototsuki's lack of a run beforehand and realized it might be like Kyo's and just become a 1-frame command throw after being EX'd. Would they give him two command throws when one is already so good? Maybe it's a quick overhead/OTG move? It fails a few times after the player tries it after 6A but seeing as the dummy takes no chip, I'm assuming it just whiff's after falling into an area outside of regular grab-ability and regular hit-into-hit combo-ability.

I'm actually really hyped for the character. He stills seems to have that complete solidness to him that made him work so well in the other installments plus a system that supports some extremely damaging meter options for simply opening the opponent up (which I feel he's rarely ever had a problem doing despite his somewhat linear gameplan).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:01:04 AM by Bloom of the Wolf »

Atb_555

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:29 AM »
Just to clarify a couple of things:

- j.4.B can hit crouchers even if you small jump with it
- his EX hcb + K has upper body invincibility
- his EX scum gale has invincibility but I was able hit EX Iori on the head during a jump in or the invincibility is not that long.  We were trying to test it out but the tourney started soon after
- It doesn't feel like you can delay his rekkas either again didn't have enough time to experiment
- His neomax can't be used as an AA and is unblockable but whiffs if the opponent jumps

DJMirror949

• Strongest Tiger
  • Just move along, nothing to read here.
    • View Profile

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2011, 03:37:42 AM »
Just to clarify a couple of things:

- j.4.B can hit crouchers even if you small jump with it
- his EX hcb + K has upper body invincibility
- his EX scum gale has invincibility but I was able hit EX Iori on the head during a jump in or the invincibility is not that long.  We were trying to test it out but the tourney started soon after
- It doesn't feel like you can delay his rekkas either again didn't have enough time to experiment
- His neomax can't be used as an AA and is unblockable but whiffs if the opponent jumps

were you at least able to do the rekkas at a slow pace?
psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'

tastylumpia

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2011, 07:05:53 AM »
Just to clarify, does anyone know when Iori (flames) is actually going to be released? Does he come with the disk, or is he DLC later on?

Also, kind of related, does anyone have any high level footage of classic Iori in action? Like from 2k2 or '98. I already have a good idea how to play him (simple solid mixup and rushdown) but I want to see how the best players utilize his tools.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:08:12 AM by tastylumpia »
twitter @tasty_lumpia

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2011, 08:03:25 AM »
To quote my reply on the DC front page regarding EX Kototsuki:

About 100 damage on the Aoi Hana combo. Around 75 damage after Ya Otome which means it’s highly susceptible to damage scaling. Yeah, it looks kinda small, but the first combo (cl.C, Aoi Hana, EX Kototsuki) is actually slightly more damaging than cr.C > Ya Otome, which actually makes it a better choice for a 1 meter, 0% drive combo.

CharREX

• New Challenger
  • Internet Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
Also, kind of related, does anyone have any high level footage of classic Iori in action? Like from 2k2 or '98. I already have a good idea how to play him (simple solid mixup and rushdown) but I want to see how the best players utilize his tools.

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ-Q30281-A&feature=related[/spoiler]
Undefeated online KOF player.

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2011, 06:14:15 PM »
Just to clarify, does anyone know when Iori (flames) is actually going to be released? Does he come with the disk, or is he DLC later on?

iori will be DLC and the japan pre order supposedly comes with a code for him to download, so i'm guessing that sometime from the Japan release date or a little further on is when he will be available.

on smoai2010's channel on youtube there is quite a bit of kof play from 98 and 2002; although you'll find a lot more iori players in 98
psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »
I call "furame Eeori" best battery in the game besides Andy, Kyo, K'...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2011, 07:57:10 AM »
Cristina's review of furame eeori, has abated some of my fears of him being broken. Sounds like he'll require smart play to use effectively based on some of the things said about recovery time on his moves, etc.

All of his rekkas being punishable will be a first in the series, guess we can't play him like we did. Hopefully they are still delayable.

I really like the fact that his EX 212-Shiki Kototsuki (HCB+K) can be used on opponents on the ground. He joins the ranks of Goro/Clark who are the only other characters I think that do anything against grounded opponents. In Iori's case, it's nice that he doesn't have to cancel into it.  Wonder if his NM can do the same?? O.o

I'm wondering how effective he'll be without meter...

Anyways, looks as if he'll fit in fine balance-wise.