Author Topic: This game is HARD... :(  (Read 5822 times)

SolidSonicTH

• New Challenger
  • I actually like K' more.
    • View Profile
This game is HARD... :(
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:37:45 PM »
So I'm trying to play through the Arcade modes of each KoF game in anticipation for XIII and I get to this game.

What's up with the difficulty? Even on easiest the CPU is a cheap bastard that anticipates everything and blocks like a pro.

I know whining about the difficulty isn't the best discussion but...this game is seriously hard.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: This game is HARD... :(
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:41:18 PM »
Don't take the computer seriously, they aren't a human being and they don't respond to mixups and basic strategy. Just use them for hit confirming practicing and try to play people in person offline or online on GGPO or supercade.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:43:42 AM »
Yea man. I Grew up Playing Fighting Games against the Computers for a little while. I know good amount about the AI in Fighting games.

1 important thing you need to know is. "The AI reads your inputs, then reacts to them." Also the computer does not do the notations, or press buttons. The just DO the move that very instant when they wont or need too.

Which is no shit In-human lol.

As Des said just use them for Hit Confirming,and combo practice.

SolidSonicTH

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:52:12 AM »
Well, I've never played 98 UM seriously so...eh.

Alright, whatever. I'll try to figure out a better system to beating the CPU. I just want to put KoF 98 under my belt so I can move forward through the series.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:42:50 AM »
Don't worry about beating them, it's very hard to learn mindgames against something that doesn't have a mind. You should try to play humans rather than beating the CPU, remember fighting games are meant to be played against other humans. CPU is just for training your execution in a non-pressure environment.

SolidSonicTH

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:10:18 AM »
???

You're making this seem too pressing. I'm not trying to...ACCOMPLISH anything, exactly. This is just so I can say I beat KoF 98 then move onto KoF 99. It's just I can't beat KoF 98 so I'm stuck.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 06:41:18 AM »
...Never mind, I was speaking more in terms of ways to get better as a player in KOF, not to just beat arcade mode. Carry on.

SolidSonicTH

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:43:38 AM »
I'd play 98 UM seriously but I only own the PS2 version and I don't know anyone who really plays a lot of KoF (except for a friend, who I must admit is simply not as good as I am).

I don't really have an interest in the XBLA version (and I don't think anyone's even playing that anymore by now anyway; none of the other SNK games released to XBLA lasted more than a couple of months before everyone just drifted).

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 07:59:04 AM »
Have you tried playing original KOF98 on GGPO/Supercade/Arclive? Maybe you and your friend should try that if you haven't and maybe it will help your skills out in 98UM? I have the ps2 version too.

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 04:46:55 AM »
Yep, when you play against other players, the game take a totally new meaning

Waifu Material

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 05:38:56 AM »
mix ups and surprising your opponent are whats important in 2p play. in 1p play, you just need to learn the basic patterns the cpu falls for and beat them. and use any opening you get, cause you wont get many. sometimes its something as basic as walking back into the wall and hitting with your furthest reaching poke and blocking/avoiding some hits while killing them (hello rugal 95), or just walking towards them and hitting them with your furthest hitting hard attack (hello orochi 97). funny thing is, when you actually try to fight them for real like how youd fight a real player the ai is super hard. but when you know the pattern, its easy. you even get chances to do flashy stuff when playing this way because you basically cracked the code. they canbe damn hard and fucking easy depending on how you approach them.

look at kof xiii bosses, they are pretty much unbeatable using normal tactics. but do  ;fd ;dn ;df ;a with goro and youll easily perfect them. or  ;dn ;db ;bk punch with maxima for an easy win. its all about knowing the pattern they fall for, and in 98 its not easy.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

necronomiCRON

• Rising Dragon
  • SNKtheist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 06:34:59 PM »
Whenever I play the computer it's mere childs play. They don't even seem tough at all. Most of the time they just stand there with their hand up their ass, waiting for me to attack them. This is even with the difficulty all the way up there too!
Just Don't look in the trunk...