Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII 3rd |OT| Thread:Console Edition (UPDATE 8/26 1st page)  (Read 370140 times)

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
Re: The King of Fighters XIII 3rd |OT| Thread: Console Edition
« Reply #780 on: August 12, 2011, 12:16:45 AM »
A company has every right to say what your $59.99 (or whatever the price was) is exactly for, and in MvC3's case it was everyone but Shuma and Jill.  Am I honestly missing something?

Nope! People just think that anything completed before the game shipped should be included in the base price (Insignificant here, since Jill and Shuma were not 100% anyway!) They find paying for content they "already own" to be a shady, unfair business practice. (When, in reality, they don't "own" that content, or any of it, in the first place!)

A comparision has been made to old Font floppy disk back in the 80's: With some, you'd have to buy an additional liscene in order to access more fonts on the disk. If you can put 100 dollars of info on a disk, but sell a part of it for 20, and give others the chance to access that additional 80 bucks worth, while minimalizing your shipping cost, why shouldn't you do it?

Also note that PS3 charges publishers for data transfer on DLC, and Microsoft charges for title updates after a certain amount of time, too, and also only allows DLC that adds achievements to be released at staggered intervals. There's a lot of politics that go into how we get our items; most consumers don't care, however, they're primarily concerned with what that means for THEM. Which is their right, but still...

It all suprises me, still, lol. My first throught when I hear about new content for a game I love is "WOOHOOOOOOO!"" Second is, "WHEN, WHEN?!?!??!?!?" Price is an issue, surely, but I'd rather spend 5 bucks making a game I love better, than 60 on some other game I might not like as much, y'know?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:19:01 AM by SAB-CA »

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 12, 2011, 12:23:26 AM »
Personally, I have no problems with what Capcom did with MvC3. 

Correct me if I'm wrong:  The company creates a game, releases X amounts of characters but locks two that are available only for DLC.  Some people got the DLC if they bought the special edition unlocked immediately, but the rest had to pay for the DLC weeks later.

So really the issue is, that people feel that you're paying for something that's already on the disc correct (if I'm wrong about this then it throws out my entire argument haha)? 

My thinking is, what does it matter that they "stored" the two DLCs on the disc?  Why if they had stored it on a server and you had to download it, would that change anything?  All this did was speed up the "downloading" of the DLC.

Aahhh! Good point, or they can store it in a USB flashdrive like "The sword of a thousand truths" (SouthPark reference lol). Well I guess at the end of the day we are getting new characters so that's something to be thankful.

I love you Atlus and I love you SNKPlaymore for doing all this wonderful things for KOF <3<3
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 12, 2011, 01:15:49 AM »
DarKaoZ: But remember, Jill and Shuma were not 100% on disk, as the info-miners discovered. Effects, voice samples, hit box data... not all of it was complete. It's suspected that the Shadow Battle info-update had the rest of their data packaged along with it, thereby giving everyone the data for the characters, before the DLC unlock key was released.

So a large amount was there, but not everything.

I could imagine this happening for Iori too, really.

Yeah, but it's basically like having the full character there but incomplete, but the character is there playable. Same thing happened with MK, Scarlet Model was there already but not her moveset. I doubt it will be the same way with Iori, since we are talking about Sprites and not 3D models.

Anyways, for what I see we have the following problems:

1. Unlock Keys DLC
Pros: Saves HDD Space.
Cons: Feel cheated.

2. DLC Characters
Pros: Gets more content for the future and brings new thing to the gameplay.
Cons: Person feels that everything should be there already no DLC characters.

3. Unlockable characters
Pros: No DLC buying.
Cons: Losing time in unlocking them.

4. DLC Content (Stages, bla bla)
Pros: New ways to look at the game.
Cons: Doesn't bring anything to the gameplay.

Am I missing something?

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 12, 2011, 01:41:10 AM »
DarKaoZ: But remember, Jill and Shuma were not 100% on disk, as the info-miners discovered. Effects, voice samples, hit box data... not all of it was complete. It's suspected that the Shadow Battle info-update had the rest of their data packaged along with it, thereby giving everyone the data for the characters, before the DLC unlock key was released.

So a large amount was there, but not everything.

I could imagine this happening for Iori too, really.

Yeah, but it's basically like having the full character there but incomplete, but the character is there playable. Same thing happened with MK, Scarlet Model was there already but not her moveset. I doubt it will be the same way with Iori, since we are talking about Sprites and not 3D models.

Anyways, for what I see we have the following problems:

1. Unlock Keys DLC
Pros: Saves HDD Space.
Cons: Feel cheated.

2. DLC Characters
Pros: Gets more content for the future and brings new thing to the gameplay.
Cons: Person feels that everything should be there already no DLC characters.

3. Unlockable characters
Pros: No DLC buying.
Cons: Losing time in unlocking them.

4. DLC Content (Stages, bla bla)
Pros: New ways to look at the game.
Cons: Doesn't bring anything to the gameplay.

Am I missing something?

BRAVO!!!! No.1 is my favorite lol
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 12, 2011, 02:46:50 AM »
I'd go with number 3. I actually enjoy having unlockables in fighters. Gives me something to do when I don't have people to play against or when I just don't feel like going online.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 12, 2011, 03:13:45 AM »
I had one big problem with unlockables.

You see, the other day there was a local MK 9 tournament, where some guys bring it the game, but others bringed (is this the past tense for bring?) the console

Problem, cyber sub zero and quan chi weren't unlocked

It's also a drag when you bring your game to the house of a friend and you can't play with those locked characters.

Plus, judging BB:CS and MK9, I could totally see that in order to unlock said characters, you must play story mode,  will do it and get the 100% of it, but still could be a big drag for others

Waifu Material

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 12, 2011, 03:17:30 AM »
I hate unlockables in general. Unless it's something easy like beat Arcade mode once with unlimited continues in any difficulty  then I have no problem. But the SF4 method is something I detest. It forces you to play characters you have no interest in and grind just to unlock a single character.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 12, 2011, 03:18:50 AM »
I had one big problem with unlockables.

You see, the other day there was a local MK 9 tournament, where some guys bring it the game, but others bringed (is this the past tense for bring?) the console

Problem, cyber sub zero and quan chi weren't unlocked

It's also a drag when you bring your game to the house of a friend and you can't play with those locked characters.

Plus, judging BB:CS and MK9, I could totally see that in order to unlock said characters, you must play story mode,  will do it and get the 100% of it, but still could be a big drag for others

Past Tense of Bring should be "brought" unless the English language has changed in the past 30 minutes. >_>

Anyways, the Blog said that it would be easy to unlock, so I assume that to unlock Saiki you must pass the Arcade mode. For Billy maybe passing the story mode with certain character team, who knows.

But yeah, BB and MK story modes are long, so I definitely see a problem there. Hopefully KOFXIII doesn't do that and makes the unlock method simple and fast.

asociale

• Strongest Tiger
  • China, Shenzhen
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 12, 2011, 03:21:12 AM »
i dont care...unlock,dlc...i really dont give a damn as long as the game is ready to be played...
and the jp cover is just awesome,cant wait to buy it.
SNK why the hell everytime you do something regarding the "online" experience is pure 屎!?!

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 12, 2011, 03:29:30 AM »
BTW UK people, KOFXIII has 22% off @ Amazon, so reserve it soon to get it for £35 before Amazon takes it off. Dunno if this applies to every EU country, but give it a try.

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 12, 2011, 03:35:27 AM »
BTW UK people, KOFXIII has 22% off @ Amazon, so reserve it soon to get it for £35 before Amazon takes it off. Dunno if this applies to every EU country, but give it a try.

Damn i wish Amazon US does the same thing >_<

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 12, 2011, 03:38:48 AM »
I agree these days unlockables can be a bit more of a pain in the ass than it used to be. In the previous generation of games you saved to a memory card instead of a hard drive and it was easy enough to bring a game and your memory card to a friend's house or whatever. Even though this generation's consoles allow you to transfer files to usb drives, you may not be able to because of the game itself may make save files that are not transferable. I know for sure Capcom does it with their fighters and it pisses me off to no end. Who the hell do they think they are that they can lock down my save files like that?

Anyhow, I also agree the amount of fun involved in getting unlockables can vary wildly. But even if it's a pain in the ass I prefer it over shoveling over more money.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 12, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »
A company has every right to say what your $59.99 (or whatever the price was) is exactly for, and in MvC3's case it was everyone but Shuma and Jill.  Am I honestly missing something?

pesonally i feel you should be getting what you pay for, or bang for the buck or whatever its called. mvc isnt my type of game but i do own it (my lil bro bought it). my personal dislike for that dlc manouver is that they should have been in game and there should have been 10 to 20 characters extra in the game. with the ease of creating these 3d characters there sdhould have been way more of them in the game.

now in kofs case, when you wait for a console version for over a year youd expect at least 1 or 2 more complete teams for it. instead we get billy and headswap and have to pay for additional content thats probably already on disc. all these extra things snkp did for the game are great, but lets not kid ourselves. compare this to other next gen console games and youll see that what they did with 13 is basically the bare minimum what can be considered for such consoles. all those extra modes and good netcode is a must. basically what im saying is that true content that actually adds playvallue like extra characters are the first thing we should have gotten after a years worth of waiting. now were getting them, but theyre charging us for it. not cool in my book to be honest. i wouldnt have minded it if we just got 1 or  extra teams, and if they over some time made a new team or 2 theyd put them up as dlc. i dont know how theyll handle the dlc, but if they charge for it per character thats even worse imo. especially if its over 3 bucks per char. and even then its too much imo.

also only reason i hjavent bought bb is cause its not my type of fighter. i like it over mk or mvc, but still not enough to go buy it. maybe in a year or later when theres more characters for the game and hopefully a few cooler looking ones ill get it. for me personally it would be worth the money that way, id get more characters and i could explore a game that maybe isnt that much to my liking but still could be entertaining from time to time. if this was rb3 or lb3 or a new SS game id buy it in its first itteration cause i really enjoy those games. unlike they come out like kof 12, then id skipp.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 12, 2011, 04:19:41 AM »
Great, now I remembered that time when I went to a 2002um tournament, and I was fucking angry because Ex Takuma and Ex Robert weren't unlocked, so I couldn't use them

So yeah, not unlockable characters for me, I will glad unlock artworks, or other things, but character, give them all at the beginning

Waifu Material

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 12, 2011, 04:57:00 AM »
You guys still talking about whether or not DLC is right or wrong? I'll put it bluntly: GAME COMPANIES DON'T OWE CONSUMERS ANYTHING. They make a game, you buy it. It comes with what it comes with. You don't have to buy it. You aren't entitled to more characters/stages/etc. just because you bought a game.

Even if XIII was an arcade port, it would still have been one of the best KoF's in history. Yet, we're getting a rebalance, more stages, 2 new non-DLC characters, a more fleshed out story mode, and who knows what else. If you feel like DLC would cheat you, don't buy the new characters and don't play them. If you're reluctantly going to buy them anyway, then you have no foothold for an argument.