Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII 3rd |OT| Thread:Console Edition (UPDATE 8/26 1st page)  (Read 373116 times)

Aion

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII 2ND |OT| Thread: Final Edition
« Reply #315 on: July 31, 2011, 04:33:13 AM »
People give BB's netcode alot more credit than it deserves...

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #316 on: July 31, 2011, 04:38:28 AM »
Arc System Works?

More money than SNK?

You best be troling. Arc System Works is a tiny, tiny, developer compared to SNK. Yet ironically, their games still manage to sell more than SNK has in recent years. BlazBlue actually broke a few hundred thousand units. What was the last KOF game to break 100k? how about last SNK game? Metal Slug?

People always make it out to be that the lack of money is SNK's problem. But no, that ain't it. No amount of money will help SNK develop better games. Look at Capcom. Has their big budget helped them make better games? Many will argue... NOPE!

SNK's problem is that ever since they went bankrupt and came back as a zombie on life support, they are just a stale developer making crap to mediocre games, with the occasional rough gem, but for the most part, they are still spewing out the same crap, with some wtf shit on the side (Lolicon Witch Touching Games) and pachinko games nobody outside of Japan cares about.

BTW - MK's netcode is actually pretty good now since the last patch, no problem playing my buddy from Texas. SNK's netcode in alot of games chugged dicks root beer floats (Unnecessary roughness -Kane317), but they have something with NGBC, KOF94/95 on PSN.

But seriously, spectator mode is a BASIC fundamental to the online play experience.

@Aion - Why not? BlazBlue has great netcode, it plays wonderfully, even with a full room.

SNK is just low balling everybody, even their most dedicated fans.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:22:31 AM by Kane317 »

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 31, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »
BB was made with the netcode in mind, the game is slow after all...

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 31, 2011, 04:46:41 AM »
Are you serious, Arc System Works as made shitloads of money and has grown up a lot thanks to guilty gear and Blazblue, they made tons of works for other companies and had published other games, like chaos code for the arcades, and arcana heart 3 for consoles

SNK is a company that can't even pay to get a proper server to upload videos and had to post their updates on a free blog.

The rumours of ''SNK will not make more games'' were believable because SNKP is no longer the old SNK, this is something that tons of fans will never get
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:54:24 AM by sibarraz »

Waifu Material

Phoenixazure

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 31, 2011, 04:50:12 AM »
Regardless of how poor SNKP is (remember when they shutdown their games division with the exception of KOFXIII's console port. Or how about the terrible dev stories?), Spectator mode seems to be a dealbreaker to quite a number of people with the ability to type things in message boards. How that holds up to the general public is up to interpretation. It'd be nice if its tossed in, but Id rather take a bare bones well worked online mode ala virtua fighter over a feature ridden but ultimately crap netcode (MK and KOFXII)

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #320 on: July 31, 2011, 04:55:48 AM »

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

@sibarraz - Guilty Gear was never much of a top seller, hell, if I recall, not a single GG title became a Greatest Hit on the Playstation 2. Even BlazBlue hasn't hit the mark to become a Greatest Hit. Last time I checked, BBCT sold maybe 400k units worldwide.

Arc System Works doesn't really have that much of a resume frankly speaking. Guilty Gear series, BlazBlue series, they developed a DragonBall Z fighting game on GBA and a sequel on Nintendo DS (Both which were brilliant). There was Battle Fantasia, but that game flopped. Fist Of The North Star never even got a USA release and it didn't very last very long from a competitive standing point of view in Japan. What else is there?

Pretty much they are just banking on BlazBlue and it's upgrades in Japanese arcades. That's how Arc always rolled and where the majority of their profits are coming from. Similar to SNK, they strive off the arcade market, but SNK has been around much longer, and has a giant laundry list of franchises and titles they developed and published. They even had their own CONSOLES at one point, remember?

SNK has become an incompetent developer over the years, no amount of money can fix that if the people they have working for them coding and designing the games are terrible at their jobs, made worse by poor working conditions. The developers are unhappy, they are shutting down divisons and departments. They are falling apart. If not for Japan's arcade/pachinko industry, they would of been dead again already.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:58:57 AM by Running Wild »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:38 AM »
Are you judging arc system works for their console releases?

Lol, you really don't know anything about the arcade industry, companies like examu and arc system works became ''big'' companies thanks for just one game, the arcade industry can make money too, and help them grow out, hell, examu released an arcade board on their own, that's a big accomplishment for a company that was just the developer of samsho 5 and 6

Waifu Material

pablofsi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 31, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »
Some newcomers to the fighting scene don't seem to understand SNK's symbolic importance, we are talking about the two monunmental monsters that were the cream of the coup and the cherry of the cake, the most important ones with their fighting games always leading everything, Capcom and SNK, SF and KOF in the 90s. In the economic spectre, they aren't smaller than Arc System Works. Arc System works is a half ass company that keeps copying the same artwork style and same atmosphere for every game they make. SNK is an epic monster in this business, youngsters. It's just that they have taken some not so good decisions, which are amply overcriticized by this "generation" of fans specially on the internet. Not SNK's best moment, that's all.

Concerning the netcode, some of us, like I've already said in another forum, have some inside info and for the third time, the netcode is a bomb that fans weren't expecting, not even in their dreams, but with this revelation, you incredulous youngsters will come to know what kind of good taste, deep down, SNK has for making games.

I already said, "nine is the magic number".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:14:40 AM by pablofsi »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 31, 2011, 05:05:26 AM »
God, I never get why I had to explain this story in every forum related to KOF, spanish, english, it doesn't matter, even though playmore has some ex employees of the old SNK, lots of them just fleed away, some went to sammy, others formed dimps, others went to arc system, shinkiro went to capcom, they had to sell their main building not that long ago for god's sake (the one with the SNK logo that has been used in lots of backgrounds)

SNK went bankrupt on 2001, they died after that, they were monsters in the 90's they are nobodies today, SNK PLAYMORE is not SNK at all

Trashing a company for using the same artwork to defend a company that has been using sprites from 1996 is not a clever idea
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:10:00 AM by sibarraz »

Waifu Material

pablofsi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 31, 2011, 05:11:22 AM »
Even like that they are still more than Arc System Works.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #325 on: July 31, 2011, 05:13:45 AM »
Are you judging arc system works for their console releases?

Lol, you really don't know anything about the arcade industry, companies like examu and arc system works became ''big'' companies thanks for just one game,

If you read what I stated above, I said Arc is pretty much getting all of their profits from the arcade industry, Examu is pretty much the same. But they aren't "big companies", they are small, smaller than SNK. But what good is it if they are only getting mediocre profits from one, tiny region? They need the home market to grow. Arc System works has performed decently in that aspect, probably better than SNK to say the least, but Examu... lol.

You also forget that the arcade scene in Japan is going through some rough times of it's own, quite a number of arcades were shut down this year from what I have read, and arcade hardware/software continues to become more and more expensive for operators. They can't make much of a profit, especially with some of the new distribution systems some arcade developers are working on. Namco is trying to expand their hold on arcades throughout all of Asia, much like Sega is trying to do. However, Namco also realizes the importance of console sales, and aren't going to make the same mistake they did with Tekken 6 with being forced to hold back a console release. Namco is developing on the PS3 and Xbox360, plus the WiiU, they intend to bring Tekken to as many systems as they can. If only Sega could do the same with Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, which is already over a year old now, and still no console release in sight, after skipping out on releasing VF5R on consoles.

As for Examu, them releasing their own arcade board on their own is nothing special really, especially considering it's not a particularly powerful board, probably a little bit better than Naomi and Atomiswave. It's also relatively inexpensive compared to Taito's boards, or even Namco's System 357.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:20:40 AM by Running Wild »

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 31, 2011, 05:17:11 AM »

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Have you played BB? Oh forget it. There's better things to talk about other than specter mode and ripping a company just because someone did not get their milk along with their cookies.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:22:14 AM by AmedoS310 »

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #327 on: July 31, 2011, 05:22:37 AM »
Have you played BB? Oh forget it.

BB was designed to be an arcade fighter from the start.

Not to be played with crappy online lag battles, which isn't the case, the game's netcode is smooth.

I also disagree that BB is a "slow" game. A little slower than Guilty Gear, but I still think it's a well paced game, that is occasionally quite chaotic and frantic, it's deceiving that game actually seems faster than it should be.

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 31, 2011, 05:33:54 AM »
Have you played BB? Oh forget it.

BB was designed to be an arcade fighter from the start.

Not to be played with crappy online lag battles, which isn't the case, the game's netcode is smooth.

I also disagree that BB is a "slow" game. A little slower than Guilty Gear, but I still think it's a well paced game, that is occasionally quite chaotic and frantic, it's deceiving that game actually seems faster than it should be.

Actually you're incorrect on that.  When it was being made, it was made in mind for online play.  There's a five frame leniency on everything which makes the netcode appear great.  This also compensates for lag on lcd monitors too.

Blazblue is hectic at times with a lot of offense, but the defense seems rather lacking in the game in my opinion.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 31, 2011, 05:41:20 AM »
I don't know what kind of influence could make the fact that the game is a 3 vs 3 game with characters that had TONS of animation frames, I had always wondered about that

Waifu Material