Poll

Is the shoutbox necessary with the new chatroom?

Yes
9 (90%)
No
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 19, 2011, 06:35:35 PM

Author Topic: Shoutbox  (Read 7079 times)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Shoutbox
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
I'm working on optimizing the site and that means evaluating features. I am wondering if the shoutbox serves a purpose now that many members are using the toolbar chat.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: Shoutbox
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
I think having the shoutbox stay is fine because not everyone can see whats in the chat, plus its cool to have a reminding message for people can read later. :)
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
I think having the shoutbox stay is fine because not everyone can see whats in the chat, plus its cool to have a reminding message for people can read later. :)

Desmond has sait it best; can't add more to it.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 07:09:45 PM »
Agree not everyone uses the chat so the shoutbox is a good alternative for messages.

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »
I agree, lets keep the shoutbox. I like to use it as a reminder of specific events or just to say something random whatever. I love the new chat feature, but I like the shoutbox too.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:56 AM »
They both serve good purposes imo. Shoutbox isn't as in-depth, but that's what the chat is for. Shoutbox is good for announcements and such, even some quick ggs to somebody or fight reqs.

Feez

• New Challenger
  • feezy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 11:02:58 PM »
I'm either blind or my ad block has been blocking it, but I've never seen a shoutbox on this site.
they don't think it be like it is, but it do

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »
I'm either blind or my ad block has been blocking it, but I've never seen a shoutbox on this site.

Homepage, on the right hand side.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
Would it be possible to add the shoutbox to the Forum code, in some way? I'm sure there's loads of people who spend their time with the site simply around the fourms, so that would be great.

IceWater

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 02:21:08 AM »
Would it be possible to add the shoutbox to the Forum code, in some way? I'm sure there's loads of people who spend their time with the site simply around the fourms, so that would be great.

Yeah, that's the main reason I usually miss seeing it. When I'm on the front page I just look to see if there are any new news posts and hit the forum right after.
Xbox Live: Austinm416
Games: SF3OE/KOFXIII

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 03:22:43 AM »
Yeah, the shoutbox is nice, but it's easy to miss it from jumping straight into the forum or wiki.

On a related note to SAB-CA's suggestion, it'd be cool if there was a way to add the shoutbox and chat bar to the wiki pages as well.
Old man/bad player

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »
it'd be cool if there was a way to add the shoutbox and chat bar to the wiki pages as well.

Agreed. The main page is cool, but it's normally just a jumping point to the meat of things. At least once you become a normal visitor to the site!

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »
I've looked into both suggestions and neither seem possible. As it is, the shoutbox will stay.

I removed the tag cloud from the homepage and added some new plug ins to speed up the homepage.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56:02 PM »
I vote yes that we should have it, but I don't think it's necessary to be honest, especially with the chat.

The other point that SAB-CA mentioned is also true; I have the forums bookmarked but I'll click back "out" to see if I missed anything.  Seldom do I get a quick glance of the shoutbox. 

Nikolai VolKOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 12:15:57 AM »
can shoutbox be fixed to how it used to be? meaning if you were logged in to DC then you could use it. now it's asking to go through unnecessary steps of signing in