Author Topic: KOF XIII 4th |OT| Thread:Console countdown edition (UPDATE 10/4 1st page)  (Read 364751 times)

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 4th |OT| Thread:Console countdown edition (UPDATE 10/4 1st page)
« Reply #975 on: October 07, 2011, 01:48:05 AM »
I can't tell what it is exactly, but Flame Iori's animation seems just a bit "off" to me. It also feels like they mixed Iori's XII-style animation with his old school animations, without taking time to ensure they were consistent. I don't know, maybe it's just me?

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to him. But much more excited to see how EX Kyo turns out.

When I first saw him, I couldn't shake the feeling that he looks skinnier and a bit less impressive than the rest of the cast... Even Kyo looks more broadly shouldered with his large jacket! But I kind of like that about him, now; the skinny feel he has makes him feel more snakey, which fits with the "Clan cursed by Orochi" theme.

I don't much see the issue with the animations themselves (Clothes react just about right, his waist shirt has a bit more movement than normal, his rest frames in between rekkas could be a bit smoother, but are not bad), but maybe with the fact that the design is kinda "meh" for XIII. It's a classic, sure, but XIII is more about powerful presentation of characters. They recieved more weight, more strength. They became more significant looking. Yet Flames Iori feels so classic, that it's like he's stuck in time, haha.

This is probably fine for those who wanted the classics designs back / hate "bulky" Ralf and Clark, and "applebottom" Athena though, lol. But for me, it emphasizes why I really like the "larger than life" theme they went with for the characters since XII, rather than just a straight HD-ifying like those plain sketches from XII's development that so many claim to prefer.

I think it's fine to have all types in the new KoF style, though, and I appreciate differences. And it's inevitable, that as the art team changes, we'll see some shifts. But I hope their art team gets comfortable with shifting between the 2, so that characters who deserve the Nona-derived extremes can get them, such as say, Blue Mary, while those who could benefit from the whispier look, like Lin, could also benefit from that.

Like Rex, when I first saw flame Iori, something didn't quite click with me animation wise. Overall I think it's pretty good. I was a little surprised that they made the tail of his shirt SO long and the jacket so small - probably something I will get used to.

I wish they could have done more with his NM. Unfortunately it was probably lack of resources which was a factor as seems to be the case with others such as the Vice/Mature/K'/Ash NMs as it's less time intensive to animate around effects based moves. (I'm sure some would argue, "It's FLAME Iori, of course the NM is all about the flames", I think it can still be done with more style like the Kyo/Benimaru NMs) Either way, am happy we get flame Iori.

On the other hand I think the design for flameless Iori is perfect.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 07, 2011, 02:18:39 AM »
well once again here's hoping the netcode turns out good because that will be my only way of determining how long i stay interested in the game

Para Para Pony

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 07, 2011, 03:02:10 AM »
what sucks is, i'm still interested in KOF2k2UM and other snk titles, but with crummy net, i rarely get to truly enjoy them... you can only suffer the AI or the lag for so long... i also kinda hope they throw the ability to play against the AI while you wait to find a match from XII in there... that was a nice way to wait for a fight...

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 07, 2011, 03:09:46 AM »
Still hoping for HD Scumgale loops, lol.

I almost read that as Scumbag loops.

Iori is a scumbag though.

Tis speaketh the truth.  He killed off his partners man.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 07, 2011, 03:16:55 AM »

Tis speaketh the truth.  He killed off his partners man.

His partners didn't seem to mind oddly enough.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 07, 2011, 03:43:33 AM »
Mature: Hey iori, you ripped my eye and nearly killed us, but is okay, you are still hot sweet heart
Billy: Hey you hit me, I will look for revenge

Man, Eiji and Billy are such a pussies

Waifu Material

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 07, 2011, 03:46:28 AM »

Tis speaketh the truth.  He killed off his partners man.

His partners didn't seem to mind oddly enough.

Extreme case of Stockholm Syndrome lol.

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 07, 2011, 04:30:20 AM »
well once again here's hoping the netcode turns out good because that will be my only way of determining how long i stay interested in the game

This actually brings up a really good topic I think I'd like to discuss. If the netcode for XIII were to bomb (which is definitely in the realm of possibility), how does that effect your interest in the game? Is it a big determining factor for you regardless of how solid the game is on it's own merits?

And to address the issue of not having local competition, would you be willing to travel to participate/host tourneys/meets in the event that netcode fails?

This isn't addressed to Xxenace specifically, his response just made me think of the topic. With netcode being the biggest subject of doubt for a lot of people pre-release, I think it would be interesting to see where everyone in the community stands.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:32:04 AM by FataCon »

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 07, 2011, 04:40:00 AM »
I have a small group that will play locally. Most of the time we play at general fighting game meet ups and many of the other players seem interested in XIII. I'll work at building my local scene regardless of the online but online is crucial for exposure and ease.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 07, 2011, 04:44:31 AM »

This actually brings up a really good topic I think I'd like to discuss. If the netcode for XIII were to bomb (which is definitely in the realm of possibility), how does that effect your interest in the game? Is it a big determining factor for you regardless of how solid the game is on it's own merits?

And to address the issue of not having local competition, would you be willing to travel to participate/host tourneys/meets in the event that netcode fails?

This isn't addressed to Xxenace specifically, his response just made me think of the topic. With netcode being the biggest subject of doubt for a lot of people pre-release, I think it would be interesting to see where everyone in the community stands.
well yes netcode is a big determining factor for me with this game there are a lot of other games coming out these last few months that im going to hold off getting solely because of KoF XIII as this will be the first KoF i will really try to sit down and learn online is my only medium for playing with people so if the online is assbutt im not going to be able to critique myself and go back and fix whats wrong also i find it utterly useless to invest a lot of time into something if i know im not anyway to show for it.
and as for the local competition part i live in north carolina and as far as i know there really isn't a scene anywhere and traveling is out of the option as i dont really have the time or money for it

so tl;dr if online is ass yes it will kill most of my interest in the game probably after a month and im sure a great deal of other people will see this too

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 07, 2011, 04:50:04 AM »

Well, if you had asked me that like months ago, I would've said it would've killed my interest in the game completely.  Now, if all goes well, I should be able to head out to actually play locals so netcode isn't AS important as it was when I'm pretty much by myself.  However it still won't be a good look, and not having a good netcode can drastically affect a scene.

Capcom can get away with it by name alone (at least on their marquee games), as seen with MvC3 having...bad netcode (I wanted to say horrid...but then I was reminded of MK9...or for that matter, a decent amount of SNK games ported outside of the NeoGeo Station).  KOFXIII will not have that leniency.

I think having some hype from the general community will help, but a bad netcode can squash that hype within a second.  It also doesn't help (or it could depending, you'll see in a second) that it's releasing within a week of UMvC3, which means their netcodes will be compared.  If XIII can have a good one (or if UMvC3's stays horrid, a serviceable one), it could get a nice blow and reestablish itself.  However, if the inverse happens...disaster.

In the KOF community, I doubt netcode will play as big a role obviously considering it's never been good (at least until the whole NeoGeo station I heard), but outside...problems WILL happen.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #986 on: October 07, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »
Netcode, Netcode... for me, it's a non-factor on purchase. I've wanted to play THIS game long enough, I'm getting it regardless. That's the most important factor to purchase.

Who will I play with, if it's bad? The most decent connections I can, and also my brother, and much more rarely, a few friends I'm still locally near.

It's not that I don't care about other games coming out in Oct/Nov. I'll be able to get a few of them, still, and KoF is still my most important of them all.

All I got tighters for in the past, was to play with family and immediate friends. Then, when I had friends around who wanted to try them, I had this great collection. And fighters "depreciate" a lot slower than other multiplayer genres, generally (as long as they don't release the odd same-year update...), so having a fighter from 2 years ago might still be worthwhile.

Even to this day, I have the occassional ok match on Garou XBL, very fun ones on 2k2UM XBL, and I played Neowave on XB360 almost as long as it supported it.

Fantastic netcode would be much preferred. But it won't prevent anyone from finding some good matches. It'll just make it much harder to find more of them. But I think it'd still be worth it.

I wonder, if SNKP made a standout-fantastic netcode, if they'd possibly try to sell it to other (non Arcsys?) companies, or sign smaller doujin fighters for XBLA or something using their ever-developing code? There should be so many possible great reasons for them to truly be trying to develop great netcode...

EDDR

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 07, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »
Netcode, Netcode... for me, it's a non-factor on purchase. I've wanted to play THIS game long enough, I'm getting it regardless. That's the most important factor to purchase.

THIS.

I will eventually try to find people to play with. In Brussels there are some top players who will obviously play the game regardless.

Para Para Pony

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 07, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »
netcode affecting the purchase, not at all. netcode affecting the longevity of the game for me... absolutely...

arstal

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 07, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »

If the netcode bombs, or if I end up disliking XIII, I will give up on the game, and likely give up on not only SNK, but 2d fighters completely.  Except for Arcana, I've been massively disappointed with the 2d fighters this gen- I'll probably stick to 3d since VF comes out next year.

The low quality of current-gen fighters , along with my job, is a big reason why I've disappeared from the competitive scene the last 3 years, it just hasn't been worth my time.  I'm hoping that changes next year.

Online's important, I don't expect it to be perfect, but it does have to be playable and active.